Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
guerilla grow & rock hard clay soil
    #7509595 - 10/11/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If you've read my other recent post here, I am evaluating wether I should do an indoor grow, outdoor grow, or no grow at all.

A lot of the California outdoor grows that get busted are hundreds or thousands of plants in the woods, far off the beaten path. I live in California and want to grow off the beaten path but can't find anywhere with suitable soil. I'd like to find suitable soil near the grow site enough for a dozen plants because I can't transport it through the woods.

All the woodland terrain around my area is hills with pretty dense tree canopy as well as bare hillsides. The soil everywhere is rock hard clay and can't be tilled, even after a rain. There have even been outdoor busts in my general area where thousands of plants have been taken down. How the hell are these people doing this if the soil is rock hard? They can't possibly be transporting dirt for thousands of plants.

Are there places that naturally have good, earthy, soft soil in terrain like in my area? Any tips, links?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: guerilla grow & rock hard clay soil [Re: TODAY]
    #7509636 - 10/11/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I,m only guessing, but they probably started a few months before the grow went in, and started sweeting the soil with additives, such as soil and compost matter, gardening lime. And this additive tends to really do wonders with clay type soils,
NO NON SPONSOR LINKS< READ THE RULES PLZ

Edited by royer9864 (10/11/07 04:57 PM)

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: guerilla grow & rock hard clay soil [Re: rod]
    #7509670 - 10/11/07 04:53 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the link, but I am very skeptical of this claim:

Quote:

Improves soil texture. For clay, hardpan, and other poor soil types, Nitron A-35 can be the answer to rebuilding the soil to a workable texture in which plants can grow and produce.

I don't see how a quart of this stuff is going to loosen soil enough to grow 6 foot plants. Big plants need at least a couple feet of depth to send their roots into.

As far as the 20,000 plant busts, it is hard enough to plow enough land to plant those numbers. I can't imagine gardeners hiking that much soil the the grow site.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Offlinej_db69
Forever learning shaman
 User Gallery

#7510099 - 10/11/07 06:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You just have to start working it early. Ask yourself if it is worth it or not. If it is, start bringing in compost matter (composted cotton burrs do pretty well and are cheap). If your willing to work at it, you can do pretty decent there. The key is to start early, that way things can get broken down after a couple of rains.

Bring a pick and/or sharpshooter shovel, start breaking up the soil and adding stuff.

--------------------
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the dark conscious.
--Jung

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: guerilla grow & rock hard clay soil [Re: j_db69]
    #7510801 - 10/11/07 09:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tip. I definitely have to start early to dig the reservoir and set up plastic sheeting to catch and direct rainwater to the reservoir. If I'm going to hike stuff in I think I'll just bring grow-bags and bagged soil/perlite.

It'll be a bitch to get dirt there but if I space it out over the winter it won't be so bad.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

Offlinej_db69
Forever learning shaman
 User Gallery

#7511756 - 10/13/07 12:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It is USUALLY easier to amend whats there instead of bringing it in, but only you know what the soil looks like. I had a spot that was HARD clay that I had to break up with a pick ax and used composted cotton burrs, lime, plus lots of other stuff, and the next year, the soil was actually pretty good, it had fluffed up a lot. You might try amending a couple of spots to see how well you can get them, b/c bringing in lots of dirt is going to really suck. Good luck though man.

--------------------
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the dark conscious.
--Jung

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: guerilla grow & rock hard clay soil [Re: j_db69]
    #7511882 - 10/13/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

surely the soil in the forested areas is not so bad?
maybe its time to consider a bit of tree felling instead...

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies