Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineakb112211
Stranger

Loc: UKUSANetherlands
psilocybe aeruginosa, woodchip ID, and... (UK)
    #7504604 - 10/10/07 08:57 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

So, I came across these today.
This was my first encounter with ps. aeruginosa. The specimen I picked was too young to make a spore print, but I'm pretty positive on the ID.
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten around to assaying this species.
Is it active? The info on here seems to be a bit dated(by dated I do only mean by a few years). But non the less, no conclusions yet.
I will be the guinea pig if I can be assured it is not poisonous in any non psilocybin/psilocyn way. Also, of course I will wait until they mature and break their veils.

As well as those, I found these in the same pile of woodchips

Habitat: woodchips

Gills: light brown

Stem: fairly brittle, shiny light brown (seemingly whitish sheen), slightly scaly(tiny white scales). height varying from 2 to 4cm. width 2-3mm

Cap: Brown, but possibly more ochre if they were dry. Sizes varying from 1cm to 2cm

Spore print color: waiting(though the stem seems to have light brown spores

Bruising: No color change was observed.

You know, now that I think of it, they look like psathyrella as they begin to dry. Nevermind the ID. Thanks anyway:)

Finally, today as I was walking through a pasture in Cambridgeshire, I came across this...

Whaaaa? Someone was here! Checking for pan subs?
My spot..desecrated..but when?
And to think I was the only one who hunted this field. How naive. I bet they left disappointed with the lack of libs. As I did. or took them all before I got there.:mad:
Has this happened to any of you hunters yet?

But seriously, if this picture looks familiar because it was one of you out there, PM me.:biggrin:

--------------------
"There never was and never will be,
Nor is there now,
The wholly criticized
Or the wholly approved"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
Re: psilocybe aeruginosa, woodchip ID, and... (UK) [Re: akb112211]
    #7504649 - 10/10/07 09:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Stropharia aeruginosa i don't think is either active or edible if we're thinking of the same thing. I think Stropharia aeruginosa and Psilocybe aeruginosa are the same thing?

Anway the second brown mushrooms look really interesting!

They certainly have the right look for a Psilocybe woodlover. You should get that print going and triple check for blueing and make sure they aren't cyans or something.

Also i often have 'my' patches kicked over and trampled on, i think there are more mushroom hunters out there than we think.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Re: psilocybe aeruginosa, woodchip ID, and... (UK) [Re: undergrounder]
    #7505093 - 10/10/07 12:21 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The first one looks like Stropharia aeruginosa. It could also bee a Stropharia caerulea, but since I can't see the gills I can't say. Is isn't that important though, 'cause they are pretty equal.
Both are considered edible and usable as a mixing mushroom.

The mushroom in the middle does look a little like Ps. Cyanescens, but if it doesn't bruise blue, throw it away!

The other ones indeed look like Psathyrella...

Edited by Fahkface (10/10/07 12:24 PM)

Offlineakb112211
Stranger

Loc: UKUSANetherlands
Re: psilocybe aeruginosa, woodchip ID, and... (UK) [Re: Fahkface]
    #7507763 - 10/11/07 02:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Most sources I have come across have labeled Psilocybe aeruginosa as a synonym for Stropharia aeruginosa. But the thing is, some sources list it as poisonous(I imagine they are noting the possibility of psiloc(yb)in and are not entirely sure. But staying on the safe side, they label them as poisonous).
They are also as you mentioned Fahkface, edible in other texts. I imagine its just not quite known. I'll post pictures when the gills mature. By the way, this spot has potential to rival your cyan spot. Wishful thinking I know, but there is more than a square acre of wood chips. Right now there are tons of hyphloma clusters everywhere. Its been really warm and dry, and I think the climate has been favoring them. But, temps will drop and humidity should rise.

So, regardless, I think I'll wait for the Stropharias/psilocybes to mature for a better ID, and in the mean time do some more research and give them a try as edibles, or possibly actives.

The fungi in the second picture ended up giving a rust brown spore print and dried to a dark ochre color. I didn't realise they were hygrophanous. No bruising either. I've thrown them away.
Thanks.

--------------------
"There never was and never will be,
Nor is there now,
The wholly criticized
Or the wholly approved"

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
Re: psilocybe aeruginosa, woodchip ID, and... (UK) [Re: akb112211]
    #7507944 - 10/11/07 07:08 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I haven't heard of the aeruginosa being active at all. Unlike other active species that come up as 'poisonous' in books i don't think that means that aeruginosa is active. The blue colouration doesn't strike me as being psilocybin related anyway.

So you've IDd the cyan-like mushrooms as Hyphalomas? I can imagine a lot of people confusing the two, they look almost identical. I was even puzzled by this Hyphaloma i found that looks like a woodlover in everything but the stem:

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder