Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAbraxis0
This machine kills FASCISTS
 User Gallery

Loc: Bellona
Yet another Q bout blue cakes
    #7502994 - 10/09/07 08:33 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Here's the setup...PF tek, BRF/Verm, RR style FC(4 inches of well soaked/drained perlite), 2 strains:PR and B+--temps 68-76.

History: This is the 2nd grow. Had fairly good success with 1st in very similar FC when only doing B+. Decided to do new FC because too many holes in 1st and a couple of cracks/duct tape(thought we could perfect this method)PRs birthed at 5 weeks(have read that they can be slow) B+ birthed at 3 weeks--after we started seeing pins begin to form at dry verm barrier.--Not ideal?
PRs have been in FC for 9 days with a small amount of weird mycelial growth--the weird growth seems to have slowed and about 4 days ago started noticing bluing--dark blue around the tops. And no, this is not where the cakes were handled. Do not suspect contam as it has not spread quickly and they upheld the H202/Qtip test.

B+(the 1st 3 cakes) have been in FC for 5 days. Only one cake has 2 shrooms growing from it--and that is the one that started turning blue 2 days ago--a much more even and lighter blue than the PRs.--once again--do not suspect contam or bruising from handling.

I know that cakes blue due to some kind of stress. As I understand it, it is virtually impossible to have too much humidity unless there is standing water which there is not. This brings me of course to low RH or low FAE.---The cakes do not feel dehydrated to me. They have much more weight to them than during our 1st grow throughout the flushes. For the first few days they did not get much FAE because we thought our small sizes on 1st grow were due to low RH. Past few days we have upped the fanning to 4-12 times per day. Unfortunately some days they go 13 hours without fanning because of work schedule.
(And yes we are using a P.O.S. digital hydrometer now because that is all we have, but will purchase an analog next week.) But this is the same POS we used on first grow. This time it is telling us our humidity is staying consistently higher than on our 1st grow. We are misting every time we fan because we do not trust the hydrometer.
There are some holes in bottom of FC and FC is elevated only about 2 inches. There are maybe 80 7/32"(one step smaller than 1/4") holes in a 124 quart FC. We do have AC running and a ceiling fan. I was thinking the ceiling fan would help contribute to FAE, but maybe I am wrong?
I guess the questions after all of this rambling are:
Do we need more holes in FC to up FAE?
Do we need more humidity?
Do we need to fan more or less?
Should we keep the ceiling fan off?
Should we raise the FC to improve flow through the bottom?
Sorry for the extremely long post--just trying to stop alot of questions in their tracks.
Will post pics as soon as other 1/2 gets home and shows me how. Thank you to this whole community!

--------------------
. . .. ... ...!. ........ .!..........! ..........!..........

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another Q bout blue cakes [Re: Abraxis0]
    #7503170 - 10/09/07 09:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

usually bruising (without handling) is caused by the cake being dry

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

OfflineTriptheory2004
In Search Of TheSHROOM!!!
 User Gallery

Re: Yet another Q bout blue cakes [Re: Optx]
    #7503205 - 10/09/07 09:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Or also direct misting can cause bruising as well.

--------------------
I figured life out and damnit once again I forgot to write it down.

Wanna trade prints?? PM ME

Trip

OfflineThe_Bomb
saulsberry steak today children!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Re: Yet another Q bout blue cakes [Re: Triptheory2004]
    #7503331 - 10/09/07 10:08 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

As already said, blueing is from the cake being to dry, try dunking it. I havnt even reached my first flush yet but thats my experiance with blueing of the cakes that dosnt involve handling.

--------------------
"Its only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything"  <-- Brad Pitt? Fight Club

"Nothing is real, not you or me, we just think we are real, its a fantastic illusion, we exist only because something wants us too, why, I have no idea."  <-- 1138, DF2 debugger and teacher.

OfflineAbraxis0
This machine kills FASCISTS
 User Gallery

Loc: Bellona
Re: Yet another Q bout blue cakes [Re: The_Bomb]
    #7503854 - 10/10/07 12:16 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for th replies. Triptheory2004 That could be what's going on. They get misted semi-frequently. When they do I try to keep the mister(?) at a high angle over the FC, however they get misted almost as frequently as they get fanned.

First to be birthed were the 3 PR. Followed by the 3 B+ to the far right, as described. 5 days later we birthed the 3 B+ in the middle. We ran out of vermiculite that day too

A0.

--------------------
. . .. ... ...!. ........ .!..........! ..........!..........

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck