Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCaptain Cubensis
Bleeding HeartLiberal

Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis
    #7488859 - 10/05/07 03:31 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Check out the MSDS data sheets on perlite if you think I am wrong.

http://www.perlite.co.nz/safety-pumice.htm

Here is a perlite Toxicology: Inhaling crystalline silica-containing dust can aggravate upper respiratory conditions such as asthma or emphysema. Long term exposure to mineral dust which contains crystalline silica can cause the lung disease silicosis.

A recent review by the International Agency for Research into Cancer of public literature on the carcinogenic risk of silica and silicates has concluded that there is limited evidence for the carcinogenicity of crystalline silica to humans'.

http://www.pennperlite.com/msds.html

Caution and Warning: Keep Out of Reach of Children. Do Not Take Internally. Dust created while pouring into paint may cause eye, nose, throat or upper respiratory irritation. Long term breathing of large amounts of mica or talc may cause lung disease. This product contains small amounts of naturally occurring Crystalline Silica that has been identified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a Carcinogen. Emergency Product Safety Information: 800-821-7352

This product may contain crystalline silica (less than 0. 1% - see section II). OSHA considers Perlite a nuisance dust and recommends a PEL of 5 mg/m3 TWA respirable dust. Inhalation over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make the lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

http://www.norcalperlite.com/MSDS.htm

Inhaling over long periods of high amounts of any nuisance dust may overload lung clearance mechanism and make lungs more vulnerable to respiratory disease.

Medical conditions which may be aggravated: Pre-existing upper respiratory and lung disease such as, but not limited to bronchitis emphysema and asthma.
Target Organs): Lungs
Acute Health Effects: None known
Primary Entry Route: Inhalation

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
Get 350lbs shipped to your door for only $100!
www.mycosupply.com
Online Organic Rye Berries
www.hydroponics.net/i/200002
The Cyclestat 4P, a great repeat cycle timer made in the USA.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7488867 - 10/05/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah screw perlite. It's not worth working with to me. For anyone who may not know, MSDS is a chemical safety system used by the professionals who work in labs for companies & universities..it's not to be taken lightly!!

--------------------
Life is one big road with lots of signs,
So when you're ridin' through the ruts,
Don't you complicate your mind.

Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy
Don't bury your thoughts,
Put your vision to reality, yeah!

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: Captain Cubensis]
    #7488874 - 10/05/07 03:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

wow you come into this forum and in one month you know everything.

shit im jelous. you have debunked tried and tested methods with your vast knowledge of mycology.

--------------------
cheese-it!

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: futurewolf42o]
    #7488883 - 10/05/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

In most areas walking outside would do more damage to your lungs than perlite.

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: futurewolf42o]
    #7488885 - 10/05/07 03:37 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i would like to add that when dealing with dry perlite it is always recommended to wear a mask. perlite is bad to inhale.

when wet it's 100% ok to deal with as long as your not stuffing it into your mouth.

--------------------
cheese-it!

OfflineMonChe
RevolutionaryMonkey
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #7488891 - 10/05/07 03:38 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

um... thats not news.

Thats why teks say to pour water in the bag before opening to minimize dust. In fact I think the bags themselves recommend that.

--------------------
MonChe, Leading the monkeys against the tyranny of the apes in the Gorilla wars!

Edited by MonChe (10/05/07 03:39 PM)

InvisibleMankey
Male

#7488892 - 10/05/07 03:38 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

futurewolf42o said:
when wet it's 100% ok to deal with as long as your not stuffing it into your mouth.

I'm glad you said that. This guy is the one person I would reiterate that to.

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

#7488894 - 10/05/07 03:39 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ehm, I've used perlite in things other than mycology..my statement is based on experience of perlite (as its own hazardous entity) alone. I don't use it for soil; I don't use it for anything...

And since I know that there are ways to avoid perlite in mycology, easily, working perlite is just not worth it (to me).

--------------------

Bleeding HeartLiberal

#7488896 - 10/05/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

My only point here is, surely there are teks that provide humidity, without introducing into your home, a caustic substance.

As perlite dries on the top, FAE stirs it up, onto your fruits, into the room air, into your lungs.

EVERY TIME you FAN.

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
www.mycosupply.com

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: Mankey]
    #7488897 - 10/05/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

i am actually offended lol. he came out of nowhere with mass amounts of disinformation. its almost like he's doing it on purpose. search his other posts they are all similar.

--------------------
cheese-it!

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: VisionsToReality]
    #7488911 - 10/05/07 03:42 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

VisionsToReality said:
Ehm, I've used perlite in things other than mycology..my statement is based on experience of perlite (as its own hazardous entity) alone. I don't use it for soil; I don't use it for anything...

And since I know that there are ways to avoid perlite in mycology, easily, working perlite is just not worth it (to me).

i use lavarock instead of perlite personally just because its messy and you can't reuse it. think green!

--------------------
cheese-it!

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #7488922 - 10/05/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

so, silicosis eh?

taken from wikipedia, which isnt exactly a source of accurate information...but w/e, it'll suffice.

"Inhaling finely divided crystalline silica dust in significant quantities can lead to silicosis or (much more rarely) cancer, as the dust becomes lodged in the lungs and continuously irritates them (silica does not dissolve over time). This effect can be an occupational hazard for people working with sandblasting equipment, products that contain powdered silica, and so on."

...if you develop silicosis from opening one or two bags and breathing the dust, chances are the world didnt need your bad genes in the gene pool anyway.

ill contest that the particles of perlite arent small enough to truly cause a horrible problem, at least not at the levels mushroom cultivators are breathing in it. MAYBE, just MAYBE if we worked in perlite factories for days on end, we might develop some problems.

lets just tone it down a bit capt. theres bigger health crusades to get involved in with mushroom cultivation than perlite.

--------------------

OfflineVisionsToReality
RIBBONS

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: dysphoria]
    #7488936 - 10/05/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I think this is a good thread for some noobs to come across. Some people don't wanna add to their chances of getting cancer or destroy their lungs any more than the natural environment already does. Others don't care. Either way it's good to know that each time you deal with perlite it's inevitable that you'll breath in shards of silica(con?)

--------------------

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: VisionsToReality]
    #7488947 - 10/05/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

VisionsToReality said:
I think this is a good thread for some noobs to come across. Some people don't wanna add to their chances of getting cancer or destroy their lungs any more than the natural environment already does. Others don't care. Either way it's good to know that each time you deal with perlite it's inevitable that you'll breath in shards of silica(con?)

if its dry..and you are not wearing a mask.

im sure its no worse then sitting in traffic. the title should be "reasons to be cautious when dealing with any silica product"

--------------------
cheese-it!

Offlineeleven34
Male

Loc: Missouri
Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: dysphoria]
    #7488963 - 10/05/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Just so you know Private Cubensis I'm in the medical field and I know for a fact that when the perlite is moist and there is no room for aerosols even when fanning you can't inhale the perlite dust particles.

In saying that. Everyone here already knows to wet the perlite before messing around with it. And if they don't they will find out soon enough before any potential damage is done to the lungs.

When the perlite is moist the percentage of aerosols is drastically reduced meaning that it would take multiple lifetimes to inhale enough of it to do long term damage.

Unless your link to your study says they were putting they're heads in bags full of perlite and inhaling til no tomorrow.

So could you not fill these rooms with rhetoric's.

--------------------
"Get your damn hands off me sesame cake"

Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The South
    #7488976 - 10/05/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Futurewolf...Have you read my post on Captain Cubes other long thread he started? If not, go read my reply and see what you think!

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

Mycology (from the Greek μύκης, meaning "fungus") is the study of fungi, their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, medicinals (e.g., penicillin), food (e.g., beer, wine, cheese, edible mushrooms) and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as poisoning or infection.

Bleeding HeartLiberal

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: eleven34]
    #7489022 - 10/05/07 04:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote: "Just so you know Private Cubensis I'm in the medical field and I know for a fact that when the perlite is moist and there is no room for aerosols even when fanning you can't inhale the perlite dust particles.

In saying that. Everyone here already knows to wet the perlite before messing around with it. And if they don't they will find out soon enough before any potential damage is done to the lungs.

When the perlite is moist the percentage of aerosols is drastically reduced meaning that it would take multiple lifetimes to inhale enough of it to do long term damage.

Unless your link to your study says they were putting they're heads in bags full of perlite and inhaling till no tomorrow.

So could you not fill these rooms with rhetoric's"

Seems like if you already have read the MSDS sheets then you would just ignore the thread, having nothing to add except what everybody already knows.

Did everybody know the term silicosis? Cause this is the only thread of consequence that comes up, search the posts man!

I don't think RogerRabbit has ever commented on silicosis in 12,500+ posts!

--------------------
www.groworganic.com
www.mycosupply.com

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

#7489034 - 10/05/07 04:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

it says right on the bag to use caution. im looking at an old bag of perlite i had in my closet right now..reading the warning.

--------------------
cheese-it!

OfflineSeengs
NACHOOOOoooo....
Male

#7489070 - 10/05/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Guess I have to quit huffing perlite dust... *sigh* Seriously.

--------------------
Whatcha doin?
-Chewin Chocolate.
Where'd ya get it?
-Doggie dropped it.
...Carry on...

Offlinefuturewolf42o
Le Jooses!
 User Gallery

Re: Perlite the MOST DANGEROUS humidity tek can cause/aggravate lung disease and cause silicosis [Re: Seengs]
    #7489074 - 10/05/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

HEY MAN LEMME GET SUM O DAT DUST DAWG.

--------------------
cheese-it!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder