Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehighc
creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: maryland
I may of fucked up (any advice)
    #7488143 - 10/05/07 11:41 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

ok so this is my first grow and i have 2 brf cakes that have been in my incubator for the better part of 6 weeks at about 4 weeks they stooped moving but there was only like 3% uncolonized i tried loosening the lid flipping them upside down and even raising my heat alittle but they still showed no sign the only part uncolonized is just a litte patch on the bottom of of them....so today i decided to take them out and dunk. i was cutting away a piece of the bottom with a sterilized knife and it seemed that there was no mycelium in the middle of the cakes but then again i only cut a little piece off. do you think i made a mistake??? do you think i will still have a couple shroomz pop up or is this a situation that can go either way????? the mycelium that is on the cakes though is very well established and there is even a couple little white bumps that look exactly like others i have seen on this site showing where pins may pop up its onlt like 2 though but hey is there hope??????

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejuris1
Esquire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The South
Re: I may of fucked up (any advice) [Re: highc]
    #7488154 - 10/05/07 11:48 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

One suggestion for you might be to just crumble and case those two cakes. some people say that when a jar stalls, it has done so for a reason and to chunk it. However, it couldn't hurt to just isolate them away from any other cakes/casings in a separate FC, and still proceede. That way if there is any type of contam, you won't risk spreading it amongst other things in your FC. I have heard people say that they had jars to stall, cut off the uncolonized part, crumbled and cased, and still had success. You never know, it might produce something for you. But, if you have several other cakes, then it might not hurt you too bad to just get rid of those two that have stalled. If they are your only ones, then you might want to go ahead and case them. I'd suggest casing them instead of doing the cakes. It's not really that much harder than cakes, and you're yield is likely to be much better. So, it's up to you. If you go through with it and it turns out bad, just consider it as a learning experience. Good luck

--------------------
"In Vino Veritas"

Mycology (from the Greek μύκης, meaning "fungus") is the study of fungi, their genetic and biochemical properties, their taxonomy, and their use to humans as a source for tinder, medicinals (e.g., penicillin), food (e.g., beer, wine, cheese, edible mushrooms) and entheogens, as well as their dangers, such as poisoning or infection.

OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

Re: I may of fucked up (any advice) [Re: juris1]
    #7488234 - 10/05/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

you said that you don't think the middle is colonized. if in fact it is not, i would absolutely not recommend crumbling and casing as you will be exposing uncolonized grain to open air, which means certain contamination.. if the middle is colonized and you really only have a small portion uncolonized, then by all means, crumble and case. If you see knots (your bumps) then your cake has already begun fruiting and I would just leave it be, except I would cut off the offending portion. also, stalling could be caused by too much/too little moisture, inadequate gas exchange, or contams.

Edited by Xeluc (10/05/07 12:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom