Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehightimesreader
Half assed question asker
 User Gallery

Loc: In the air conditioning
Amanita look alikes
    #7479070 - 10/02/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, so I've recently posted some pics on a recent Suspiciouse sightings of an Amanita mascaria near my house. It's a yellow fly agaric as my field guide puts it and basically it's supposed to be a yellow a. mascaria. So, my question is, If it prints white, then is there any poisonouse look alikes with a white spore print that would resemble a yellow fly agaric? I have about 8 mushrooms from this spot now and the first batch dried.. on accident :rolleyes:

HTR

--------------------
I'm hunting for The Following ethnos.
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

A new leaf turned over.. I'm too old for this shit.
:commonsense:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: hightimesreader]
    #7479099 - 10/02/07 10:28 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

men a lot of mushrooms in the amanita genus that look alike amanita muscaria and have whithe spore print in fact all does, well,can be deadly be carefull , i´m mexico is really easy to id amanita muscaria, but in usa i have seem many species of look alikes that have not study or a bad reputacion or are legally toxic, such as i hope the expert in amanita mushrooms come in your help . or type what what ir mushroomsexpert

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Offlinehightimesreader
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: cactu]
    #7479161 - 10/02/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm.. Well, I looked through a feild guide (audobons NE) and it lists 6 species. And yello fly agarics resemble the mushrooms I picked. It also looks/resembles a picture in a link that was sent to me by cure cat. IDK, I'm 95% sure with just stuff from me working on it. Any back ups? Anyone else find yellow fly agarics in the NE?

HTR

--------------------
For experiments, hunting finds and any other contributions, check out My journal.
HTR

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #7479238 - 10/02/07 11:04 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

> So, my question is, If it prints white, then is there any poisonous look alikes with a white spore print that would resemble a yellow fly agaric?

Yes, there are many species that print white and resemble yellow fly agaric, but have unknown edibility. Don't experiment until you are 100% sure of the species, at least that way if you kick the bucket, you will make one last final contribution to mycology. And keep some uneaten ones around.

You should probably stick to the red variety of Amanitas, but if you must, at least study the base of the stem (volva).

Also check out Rod Tulloss's excellent Amanita site, which you can use to find out the exact species.
http://pluto.njcc.com/~ret/amanita/mainaman.html

He is doing a lot of work on north american Amanitas, and recently I noticed he has been posting a lot of comments on the http://mushroomobserver.org web site.

Offlinehightimesreader
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7482565 - 10/03/07 08:21 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

K, so basically, the ones that look the same I can figure out aren't tooo bad for me I guess (kinda makes you sick) so I figure, I'll take low doses and see how bad it is and I'll increase by the gram I guess? Lol, russian roulet.. NOT FUNNY! I'm still confident in having these mushrooms correctly identifyed. BUT, if I do die, I'll have stuff left over. Anything I can do to test for the goods? Like, its soulable in tea right? well is amanita poison soulable in water? Know what I mean? How can I evaperate somthing so I can tell if my mushrooms are legit?

HTR

--------------------
HTR

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #7482733 - 10/03/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Even many experts don't eat Amanitas. No offense, you don't sound like an expert.

Amanitas can be deadly! Don't mess around.

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: scout24]
    #7483474 - 10/04/07 01:02 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

> the ones that look the same I can figure out aren't tooo bad for me I guess (kinda makes you sick)
> so I figure, I'll take low doses and see how bad it is and I'll increase by the gram I guess? Lol, russian roulet.. NOT FUNNY!

Don't eat it! Russuan roulette is not that fun.

Also, that is that little thing about the active ingrediant (ibotenic acid) in Amanita muscaria causing brain lesions. Maybe its not true, but why mess with it?

Synopsis: Ibotenic Acid - The current view is that some Ibotenic Acid does cross the blood brain barrier unchanged, but some is partially metabolised into muscimol and the rest excreted. Ibotenic acid, however, has been shown to be a potent neurotoxin when injected directly in the brains of mice and rats and is used as a potent brain-lesioning agent. It is structurally similar to glutamate and activates NMDA receptors, but this is not likely to be involved significantly with the effects of A. muscaria.4,5

Offlinehightimesreader
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7486038 - 10/04/07 06:57 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Ibotenic acid, however, has been shown to be a potent neurotoxin when injected directly in the brains of mice and rats and is used as a potent brain-lesioning agent.

I aint no rat :rockon:

I'm just playing.. sucks that the patch is maybe not good but how do people that are vendors pick/aquire them and if from someone else, how are they more reliable then me and a feild guide and some pictures?

HTR

--------------------
HTR

Offlinehightimesreader
 User Gallery

#7515278 - 10/14/07 10:33 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

So, basically, I feel pretty safe eating an amantia that I've id'd in VT based on a feild guide or two as well as other finds by shroomery members and other sources sooo.. I dont know when I'll try them but It'll be somtime I think. Anyone have a veiw against mine? I don't really feel convinced.. Am I ignorant?

HTR

--------------------
HTR

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7515695 - 10/14/07 12:51 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

you should of posted those pics they look as legit as all the ones i have eaten the countless ones

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Invisiblescout24
Hallelujah!
 User Gallery

Loc: Disappear Here
    #7515935 - 10/14/07 02:04 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hightimesreader said:
So, basically, I feel pretty safe eating an amantia that I've id'd in VT based on a feild guide or two as well as other finds by shroomery members and other sources sooo.. I dont know when I'll try them but It'll be somtime I think. Anyone have a veiw against mine? I don't really feel convinced.. Am I ignorant?

HTR

Did you read Alan Rockefeller's last post in this thread?  You should understand: 1) the 'russian roulette' method you described is foolish and potentially deadly when applied to Amanita - the effects of Amanita poisoning can takes days or weeks to manifest; 2) Even if you have Amanita muscaria, the effects of the active ingredients are not well understood and vary greatly from person to person and specimen to specimen.

If you have your heart set on eating what you've found, do a lot of research first.  If you're just looking for a green light, post your concerns in the 'the psychedelic experience'.  :sunny:

--------------------
Always
Be
Closing

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: Amanita look alikes [Re: scout24]
    #7515983 - 10/14/07 02:18 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

tee hee as i said i have done a great deal of work with VT amanita and i have to say that they are great and his pics look legit

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules