Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

Liberty Cap Question
    #7471465 - 09/30/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Umm to all of you knowledgeable shroomers out there....I have a question!

The mushroom Stropharia Semiglobata....is that a surefire sign that I am very close to libs. Because there is a cow pasture I am going to and I have seen quite a few of these mushrooms but no libs. Should I just wait? Or should I go find another spot? I look for shrooms so much and every time I come back empty handed, I am really sick of it. Help would be appreciated and if anyone is from the greater Seattle area I would love to know how your season is going.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroominShaman
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: PsykoticRetod]
    #7472671 - 10/01/07 01:28 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Im in the same boat as you man. Devoted about 20 hours so far this season to mushroom hunting, and still not actives found. It's hard not to get in the dumps about it, but i figure my luck will change. It's hard for an amateur like me to find the right habitats, because i don't know anyone who can take me and show me the ropes. :/ I guess im just rambling because of the disappointing season so far.

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: ShroominShaman]
    #7472821 - 10/01/07 02:56 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have heard that some people have had some luck with Stropharia Semiglobata - the dung round head, being in close vicinity to liberty caps. I was having a look in a local horse field a few days ago and found quite a few Stropharia Semiglobata but unfortunately no liberty caps, so maybe I'm in the right place but it's just not quite the right time yet. I really think Libery caps are still quite a mystery, the species really needs to be examined fully.

I'm hoping to find some soon!

--------------------
If we are here to figure out the meaning of life,
then isn't the meaning of life to find out why we are here?
Causing our existence to be pointless!

OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: ShroominShaman]
    #7474612 - 10/01/07 04:22 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I just skipped school today and went on like a 5 hour search and not a damn thing! But I did find some great spots, and some pretty cool mushrooms along the way. Also a guy gave me some locations on where to hunt...because he used to hunt. But he also said it just wasn't time yet....we have to wait for the first frost....so let the waiting begin. Zzzzzzz

I think that at the amazing amount of time I have spent looking I would have found some mushrooms if they were out there....it just isn't time. Not in this area at least (Snohomish County)

OfflineTopcorn
False idol
 User Gallery

Loc: Observable universe
    #7475184 - 10/01/07 07:27 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

if they were out there...
in the past seven years I've spent a countless number of hours searching, getting my feet soaked, only to find nothing active, in fact it took me a few years to find my first blue-ringers and a few more seasons to find my first cyanescens. They are out there, although not the easiest things find at times.

--------------------
Slayer of robot dinosaurs in a futuristic landscape

OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: Topcorn]
    #7476070 - 10/02/07 12:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Really? Because I have spent easily mmm....i dunno. 24 hours of looking over the past couple weeks and even though I just enjoy being out in nature, it really is starting to get on my nerves that I am not finding any actives. I have found so many perfect habitats for Cyans and they aren't there. I really hope it just isn't time yet....but if it is, they sure as hell are hard to find...I mean really hard; hard enough that it isn't worth it. Maybe I need a new method of searching....

Offlinemike3000
Petski
Male

#7476288 - 10/02/07 03:20 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PsykoticRetod said:
But he also said it just wasn't time yet....we have to wait for the first frost....

I thought that the season is coming to an end when the first frost comes? :confused:

--------------------
If we are here to figure out the meaning of life,
then isn't the meaning of life to find out why we are here?
Causing our existence to be pointless!

OfflineJack86
Jack
Male
Loc: UK
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: mike3000]
    #7476423 - 10/02/07 05:28 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

yeh it ends at the first frost, not starts

OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: Jack86]
    #7476655 - 10/02/07 08:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have heard very differently from several different people. Maybe it varies in different regions...maybe I am wrong. I really don't know. Because I have heard from very reliable people that it really gets going when the first frost comes.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #7476703 - 10/02/07 08:53 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

It is a very different issue species to species, and region to region.

--------------------

OfflinePsylo_Subliminal
DimensionWalker.
Male

Loc: Central Florida.
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: CureCat]
    #7476711 - 10/02/07 08:58 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If i were you id just go find another field. Depending on how long you have to wait for em, if they havent shown by now chances are they're not going to at all.

Good Luck, Happy Hunting.:mushroom2:

--------------------
I smoke 2 joints in the morning,
I smoke 2 joints at night,
I smoke 2 joints in the afternoon,
It make me fell alright.

I smoke 2 joints in a time of peace
and 2 in time of war,
I smoke 2 joints before i smoke 2 joints,
and then I smoke 2 more.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: Psylo_Subliminal]
    #7476789 - 10/02/07 09:34 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> Because I have heard from very reliable people that it really gets going when the first frost comes.

Your reliable people are not very reliable.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7476839 - 10/02/07 09:57 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

LoL.  Well maybe they were talking about a different species of mushroom?  :ohwell:

--------------------

Offlinelucymullen
Stranger

#7477256 - 10/02/07 12:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Without doubt there out there now budding like hell. I have three areas where I go in England and all have one thing in common, SAND. Not the beach type of stuff but sandstone grit. Area one being moorland but is on a plateau with major budding now on the edges. Area two is on a moorland slope with a stream in the bottom and the third is at the back of a quarry. A fact about area one even thought there are plenty there if you look 10 meters to the right you will miss them.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #7477349 - 10/02/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I've been finding Libs in several different locations...

all in cow pastures.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #7477449 - 10/02/07 01:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
> Because I have heard from very reliable people that it really gets going when the first frost comes.

Your reliable people are not very reliable.

In my area, this is quite true however. Anyway, frost is definitely not a necessity for libs to fruit. There hasn't been frost here since last winter and I've already found my first two libs of the season. Frost is not far away though as the days are shortening rapidly and temperatures are dropping. Once the libs will be one their way on a larger scale, frost will definitely be around, so I can sort of relate to what you've heard. But again, this is true for my region, in other regions the situation will definitely be different.

Offlineoh_ollie
Spores for thepoor?
 User Gallery

Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: koraks]
    #7477995 - 10/02/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

well.. ive found about 150 shrooms so far. the season is definetly not completely underway ive always just had one field that seems to fruit alot earlier than the others but in very low quantities.

Ive always found that light air frosts do not kill the mushrooms but do not encourage them either. although heavy ground frosts will definetly kill them. well that is the way its been the last 3 years.

and back to the original question i think ive seem Stropharia Semiglobata in many fields but there is no sure fire way to say that all of these fields produce libs. yes i find them in some of the fields i pick in but i also find these in fields i dont pick in (due to the absence of libs)!!

--------------------
"I don't have big anxieties. I wish I did. I'd be much more interesting." - Roy Lichtenstein

"I like the idea of taking a right into nature instead of a left to a grocery store." - akb112211

Offlineblacksun
 User Gallery

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Liberty Cap Question [Re: oh_ollie]
    #7478113 - 10/02/07 04:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ill probably go out either tommorow or next weekend, went out to have a gander while at the local pub and decided i would leave it for 2 weeks, and its been 2 weeks, so im pretty sure they are out, just waiting for some sun.

--------------------
uarewotueat - "Libs are messy as hell, I don't know whether to take a shit or get a haircut when I'm on them!"

OfflinePsykoticRetod
Absolutely

#7478158 - 10/02/07 05:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, the guy was initially talking about cyans when he mentioned the frost, but he also said libs would take a little more time as well.

Offlineroad apple
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: vancouver island
    #7506870 - 10/10/07 08:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I live on Vancouver island and have been finding liberty caps in the cow field down the road. not alot but they are there, I have found them in hay fields, cattle pastures and in sheep fields, the common thread that I have found is that they flood out every year during the winter. now it frosted bad a couple of days ago, but because the rains have come back and the humidity is way up the frost hasn't seemed to have affected the harvest. I would love to find cyans, probably have, but am unsure about Identifying them. any tips?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom