Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDCmycoB
Stranger

Newbie, Help Please! Aborts and dunking.
    #7463815 - 09/28/07 10:59 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Hello everyone.  I'm an a newbie and just tickled to see my first flush fluorish.  I used Pf tek with dunk and roll, and internal drinking straw-water resevoir.  Amazingly, I had nearly 100% success , beside my control jar that I left the cake in the jar until it begins pinning, but it hasnt begun pinning and my cakes are on their way to the second flush.  My ?s are:  1) When harvesting, do i need to just cut the bottom of the stem with all the verm that i cant shake loose, or is it safe?  I read about asbestos in some vermiculite, and dont really want to injest something that is going to poison me.  2)The aborts- Do I need to just completly wipe the cake clean, all those teeny-tiny ones before the next flush, and are those tiny ones (less than 1/2 cm)worth keeping or just the inch or so aborts?  If I dont catch the aborts until the heads blacken should i just pitch them because of mold and decomposition?  3)With the internal resevoir method , do I need to dunk after each flush?  Do i roll after each flush too?  I am sure I have more ?s floating in my mind, but i cant seem to bring them to the surface right now.  Oh well, my post is gettin a little windy by now anyway, so thats where I will leave it for now.
Thanks in advance for the help, and big thanks to those running this awesome website and to Fanaticus!!!!:grin:
Later

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen420Thang
FriendlyStranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: This Island Earth, Behind the ...
Re: Newbie, Help Please! Aborts and dunking. [Re: DCmycoB]
    #7463939 - 09/28/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DCmycoB said:
Hello everyone.  I'm an a newbie and just tickled to see my first flush fluorish.  I used Pf tek with dunk and roll, and internal drinking straw-water resevoir.  Amazingly, I had nearly 100% success , beside my control jar that I left the cake in the jar until it begins pinning, but it hasnt begun pinning and my cakes are on their way to the second flush.  My ?s are:  1) When harvesting, do i need to just cut the bottom of the stem with all the verm that i cant shake loose, or is it safe?  I read about asbestos in some vermiculite, and dont really want to injest something that is going to poison me.  2)The aborts- Do I need to just completly wipe the cake clean, all those teeny-tiny ones before the next flush, and are those tiny ones (less than 1/2 cm)worth keeping or just the inch or so aborts?  If I dont catch the aborts until the heads blacken should i just pitch them because of mold and decomposition?  3)With the internal resevoir method , do I need to dunk after each flush?  Do i roll after each flush too?  I am sure I have more ?s floating in my mind, but i cant seem to bring them to the surface right now.  Oh well, my post is gettin a little windy by now anyway, so thats where I will leave it for now.
Thanks in advance for the help, and big thanks to those running this awesome website and to Fanaticus!!!!:grin:
Later

ahh first post in a long time, I'll tell you what i think, DCmycoB..:lecture:

1) When harvesting, do i need to just cut the bottom of the stem with all the verm that i cant shake loose, or is it safe?
When you harvest, you pluck the shroom off the cake correct? then you have the but which might have some verm on it. You can do what ever you want with the butt. I used to trim my butts to get the casing material off. Verm might be a little easier to pick off so try it out and see if its worth it otherwise you can snippet it off. I've heard from alot of people that verm upsets the stomach but its not poisonous. That asbestos story is from back in the day when a verm 'mine'(?) was closed down because there was traces of asbestos in it.

2. The aborts- Do I need to just completly wipe the cake clean, all those teeny-tiny ones before the next flush, and are those tiny ones (less than 1/2 cm)worth keeping or just the inch or so aborts? If I dont catch the aborts until the heads blacken should i just pitch them because of mold and decomposition?
Just pick whatever aborts you can grab with your fingers, if its too small to easily grab dont worry about it. I've never had a problem with a small abort that turned black and never was picked. Usually the mycellium will just take the abort ime.

3.3)With the internal resevoir method , do I need to dunk after each flush? Do i roll after each flush too?
Hell, may as well dunk, more water will = bigger mushies :dancingshroom:

Thats all I got slick, hope it is of some use to you, peace outtttt:gethigh:

Edited by Green420Thang (09/28/07 11:25 AM)

Offlineaspore
myconaut
 User Gallery

#7463949 - 09/28/07 11:26 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

There is no need for an internal resevoir if your dunking, the vermiculite holds plenty of moisture for fruiting, and standing water can cause problems.

Don't cut your shrooms off, gently grab them by the base and twist/pick them off. If the heads have turned black, it's an abort and you will want to remove as many as you can with tweezers. If the head is not black, leave it there, even when dunking.

do not re roll after dunking, the verm you have is plenty. (which goes back to why you don't need a resevoir)

You should dunk your cakes only when the growth has stalled, it might not be neccesary to dunk more than just once.

Eating verm won't hurt you.

Good luck, and congrats. Welcome to the Shroomery.

--------------------

c        l        i      c        k        m        e

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #7463984 - 09/28/07 11:32 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

DC!! Take those stem buts and wrap them in some wet paper grocery bag squares and put them in a baggy. You'll be amazed. I promise.

OfflineDCmycoB
Stranger

Re: Newbie, Help Please! Aborts and dunking. [Re: lipa]
    #7465711 - 09/28/07 09:30 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

What's up y'all! Thanks Green420Thang and Aspore for the quick responses and info. That pretty much clears up all my questions for now.

Wish me luck going into the second flush. I'll give the "Butts in Bags" thing a try with these to come, thanks Lipa.

Later

Offlinewutang
fungi
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie, Help Please! Aborts and dunking. [Re: lipa]
    #7520420 - 10/15/07 05:56 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

lipa said:
DC!! Take those stem buts and wrap them in some wet paper grocery bag squares and put them in a baggy. You'll be amazed. I promise.

???wtf?
elaborate

--------------------
:peyotespectrum:    :sanpedro: :rainbowdrink: :tripping:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag