Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhishe
Lysergic Bliss
Male User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
How can I make my wireless connection better..?
    #7453871 - 09/25/07 11:02 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Damn I got halo 3 and it is killer....

But my wireless connection sucks balls...

any tips?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: How can I make my wireless connection better..? [Re: Phishe]
    #7453944 - 09/25/07 11:25 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

There should be 2 transmitters/receiver antennas, 1 for the device and 1 for the modem. Those are rated by DBI that give you range. Higher DBI= greater range. Most store antennas ranges sucks, so either fork out some cash, or make your own antenna. that can be slightly complicated esp. if you`re stupid, You could jimmy rig an antenna from something like a CB radio but again that can be complicated.

If there`s someone near you broadcasting high DBI wifi or anything effecting your transmissions on the same wavelength (flourescent lamps), they are fuzzing out your signal. Wardrive them to find the offending electronic appliance and smash it in the night. obstructions cause signal loss and the higher off the ground the better the signal.

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

Invisibletwo_rivers
mmm..
 User Gallery

Re: How can I make my wireless connection better..? [Re: ralphroks]
    #7454029 - 09/25/07 11:52 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

i just had the same problem. my box is downstairs and my modem is upstairs, so i bought this d-link "gaming" router and a wireless antenna for my box. i got it all set up and i put in rainbow six: vegas to test it out and guess what? the connection lagged so badly that online gaming wasn't even possible. i even tried to download this 40MB game trailer and after two hours it was only something like 5% complete.

After wasting a whole weekend fucking with the settings and trying it over and over, i finally called d-link's pathetic tech support and it seems they don't possess any general networking knowledge whatsoever... only the ability to read the troubleshooting guide in front of them. to make matters worse their indian accents are so thick that it is difficult just to interpret what they are saying. i got so frustrated with it i finally just said, "fuck it!" and bought a 100ft network cable and now my connection is as smooth as silk.

my advice to you: don't waste your time, money, and sanity on a POS wireless connection. go buy a long cable.

--------------------
:kodama:

Save Shroomerites Anonymous!

Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: How can I make my wireless connection better..? [Re: two_rivers]
    #7454080 - 09/26/07 12:18 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

With a $20 8DBI antenna I could pick up 11% signal from an apartment complex a few miles down the street. although It was a second story apartment and im not sure what DBI antenna was connected to the modem.
Still thats enough range to get 100% throughout the apartment complex off a crumby on-board laptop antenna. and that was sitting on top of a high range encrypted signal blocking the airwaves..so

An antenna constructed from the connectors from a broken low DBI antenna , and connected to a homemade antenna from PVC pipe with copper tubing coiled around it.I cant find the blueprints but it was first conceived by some radio engineers that turned their college town wireless. Ok i found it:

http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/helix/

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates