Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb
    #7405032 - 09/13/07 04:32 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/103283/Commies_Unleash_Most_Powerful_Non_Nuke_Bomb

Quote:

MOSCOW - The Russian military has successfully tested what it described as the world’s most powerful non-nuclear air-delivered bomb, Russia’s state television reported Tuesday.

It was the latest show of Russia’s military muscle amid chilly relations with the United States.

Channel One television said the new weapon, nicknamed the “dad of all bombs,” is four times more powerful than the U.S. “mother of all bombs.”

Just fucking great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: adamj]
    #7405042 - 09/13/07 04:34 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

fuel air bombs are pretty cool.

"Unlike a nuclear weapon, the bomb doesn’t hurt the environment, he added."

haha. right.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #7405994 - 09/13/07 07:55 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The cold war must really be back, They are already sqaundering money on useless weapons systems, I think theirs another "superpower" who has the same view.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #7406382 - 09/13/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

back? it never really ended.....

--------------------

Offlineshitfacedme
fustfuffs
Male
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: wilshire]
    #7406944 - 09/13/07 11:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
fuel air bombs are pretty cool.

"Unlike a nuclear weapon, the bomb doesn’t hurt the environment, he added."

haha. right.

we cant even have backyard burnoffs because it hurts the environment but those bombs dont :lol:

it also coincides with a major earthquake in indonesia...i wonder if theyre related

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: shitfacedme]
    #7407201 - 09/14/07 12:41 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Do you really think an air detonated bomb detonated in the middle of nowhere could cause a mass scale earthquake? They're still smaller than those giant nukes they used to drop. A Thousand times smaller at least.

I could imagine an underground explosion would do it. I don't know much about air detonations and ground tremors though so I may be wrong.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: Maverick]
    #7407754 - 09/14/07 05:08 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> back? it never really ended.....

Spoken by somebody that didn't have to practice "duck and cover" drills in case of a surprise nuclear attack when they were children in school.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: Seuss]
    #7412012 - 09/15/07 04:07 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

that 4-times-bigger-than-MOAB figure is largely hyperbole.. the explosive payload of the FOAB is actually less than MOAB (which isn't even the largest explosive payload a US bomb has ever carried, iirc that honor goes to the T12 which was twice the size of MOAB and hardened to penetrate deep into the earth before detonating.. MOAB is really a scaled-up version of the cookiecutter from vietnam, and though big isn't as useful as the T12 against hardened targets or, actually, even against tunnel systems underground)

aannyway, FOAB's a thermobaric bomb from what i understand, so.. yeah I don't know. Expect Russia to be using this for hostage negotiations I guess.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#7412015 - 09/15/07 04:14 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

that 4-times-bigger-than-MOAB figure is largely hyperbole.. the explosive payload of the FOAB is actually less than MOAB (which isn't even the largest explosive payload a US bomb has ever carried, iirc that honor goes to the T12 which was twice the size of MOAB and hardened to penetrate deep into the earth before detonating.. MOAB is really a scaled-up version of the cookiecutter from vietnam, and though big isn't as useful as the T12 against hardened targets or, actually, even against tunnel systems underground)

aannyway, FOAB's a thermobaric bomb from what i understand, so.. yeah I don't know. Expect Russia to be using this for hostage negotiations I guess.

--------------------
grar.

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#7412016 - 09/15/07 04:17 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
grar.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #7412610 - 09/15/07 10:02 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Saying it three times doesn't make it thrice as true. :tongue:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
    #7412677 - 09/15/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not scared... and why? Because we still have more nukes that Russie.

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: BrAiN]
    #7412791 - 09/15/07 11:13 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

If Russia wants to tromp around and play with their new toy then find. Bombs like that are largely impractical for forward battlefield use. They are good for destroying fixed positions or concentrations of the enemy. For forward use, the old fashioned mortar and artillery are still king.

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: BrAiN]
    #7412796 - 09/15/07 11:14 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BrAiN said:

If we have enough nukes to destroy the earth 5 times and they can only destroy the earth 3 1/2 times what does it matter?

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7413298 - 09/15/07 02:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Saying it three times doesn't make it thrice as true. :tongue:

DOES TOO!

(the post, er, posted page never appeared..  the shroomery was acting funny all around.  I guess when I went through and refreshed windows I hit that one up too, whoops!)

Quote:

Rail_Gun said:
If Russia wants to tromp around and play with their new toy then find. Bombs like that are largely impractical for forward battlefield use. They are good for destroying fixed positions or concentrations of the enemy. For forward use, the old fashioned mortar and artillery are still king.

Actually, hardened positions, this isn't that great for.  It's a large blast radius, but not as sharp of a blast.  It'd be great for leveling, say, a small town, though.  That's Moscow for ya!

--------------------
grar.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #7413637 - 09/15/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rail_Gun said:
Quote:

BrAiN said:

If we have enough nukes to destroy the earth 5 times and they can only destroy the earth 3 1/2 times what does it matter?

Thats why we love the bomb so much, no one would dare try anything lest ye get nuked, we were close in Cuba at 63

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #7413935 - 09/15/07 05:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

We've been a lot closer than what happened with Cuba.

--------------------

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

#7414020 - 09/15/07 05:50 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BrAiN said:

You'd think comments of US'ers reassuring themselves that what is going on in the world doesn't matter because their country has nukes would be completely insecurity based.

But really, Russia has vastly more nukes, and they have much better ones too - they render the proposed US missile defense shield and all US anti-missile defences useless.

The most capable US ICBM (Minuteman III / Mk-12A) has a range of 13,000 km and can carry 2-3 warheads worth 335 kT each.
The most capable Russian ICBM (RT-2UTTH / Topol M) has a range of 11,000 km and can carry 6 warheads, each worth 550 kT.

The most capable US SLBM (Trident II / Mk-5) has approximately a 7,400 km range with a yield of 6 x 475 kT
The most capable Russian SLBM (SS-NX-30 / RSM-56 / Bulava) has a 10,000 km range, and can once again carry 6 x 550 kT warheads.

The US, according to atomicforum.org, currently has 10,642 nukes stockpiled (Now 9,960 according to wiki), the number of active not being noted (5,735 according to wiki), but with only 892 deployed.
As of 2004, Russia had an estimeate 17,000 stockpiled (the exact amount is undeclared), with about 7,800 active and operational - according to Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (thebulletin.org), and 3,281 currently deployed.

US and Russian nuclear stockpiles

Should nuclear war occur, I think it's also relevant that Russia's silos are far spread across the country (some of Russia's 93 facilities are marked here), while the US' are condensed, apparently mostly in Wyoming and Montana.
Also apparently, Russia has an ongoing civilian shelter program, and their estimates for how many people they'd lose in a nuclear war is 20 million, the same as they lost in WW2.

Quote:

Mushmonkey said:

The payload of explosives doesn't matter, it's the resulting damage which matters. That their bomb does more damage with less of a payload is an accomplishment. The radius of the DOAB explosion is 2x that of the MOAB, the heat at the epicenter is 4x that of the MOAB, and the TNT equivalent is 4x more.

"the Russian bomb contains just over seven tonnes of high explosives, compared with more than 7.25 tonnes of explosives in the U.S. bomb, it's four times more powerful because it uses a new, highly efficient type of explosive that the report didn't identify.

While the U.S. bomb is equivalent to 10 tonnes of TNT, the Russian one is equivalent to nearly 40 tonnes of regular explosives. The Russian weapon's blast radius is about 300 metres, twice as big as that of the U.S. design, the report said."

Edited by Disco Cat (09/16/07 03:29 AM)

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #7415192 - 09/16/07 01:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> back? it never really ended.....

Spoken by somebody that didn't have to practice "duck and cover" drills in case of a surprise nuclear attack when they were children in school.

no i didnt. i may not have had to do those retarded drills(which wouldnt have saved me at all), but its easy to see that the tension and the military buildup is still there, whether its talked about or touted as it was back then, its there. same with china. the three of us are always trying to one up the next. the cold war is still cold, its just quiet now.

i wasnt aware learning duck and cover made one more knowledgeable?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Russians unleash most powerful non-nuke bomb [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #7415502 - 09/16/07 05:09 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

> i wasnt aware learning duck and cover made one more knowledgeable?

The reality of living through the cold war versus the current "tension and military building" are nowhere near the same. I don't mean to belittle you, only to point out that the experience of living during the cold war is nothing compared to what you are describing as a modern cold war. Our modern day worries are nothing like the constant fear of attack, the retarded drills, the construction of bomb shelters in the back yard, the never ending propaganda, the zealous patriotism, the witch hunts, etc of the cold war. The two are as far apart as a high school football game and the superbowl.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale