Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
baffled with casing questions
    #7403591 - 09/13/07 02:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Ok guys sorry about this question thats probably been asked before me. Im used to doing a 40/60 give or take coir to verm casing layer, but i want to move up do something a little different and try the 50/50. I've read the tek and it tells ya the ingredients but in cant find a good step by step method of preparing this type of casing mixture. I can probably find some hydrated lime at my garden center but if not i can just buy calcium carbonate from a brew shop?

How should i go about wetting and pasturizing the mixture?

What i have so far is to wet the verm and then add the peat and pasturize. Do i add the lime before or after pasturize process?

also whats a good ratio of lime to 50/50 to use to say to like a quart jar?

also, i want to pasturize my casing mixture in quart jars and utilize my PC for the pasturization process. Should i just let the PC get up to 15 psi let it sit for a min then turn it off? Do you think this would be good enough.

anyways, sorry, this was a very question-ous post, if thats a word.
haha

Peace yall:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleorchidfanatic
retiree
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: where the wild things are
Re: baffled with casing questions [Re: large_dose]
    #7403964 - 09/13/07 07:29 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

on the pasteurization .. you can use the PC pot but not the lid
all you want to do is fill the pot 2/3 up the side of the jars insert an oven thermometer through the foil covered jars and heat up to 140 degs then shut off the heat .. it should continue to rise up to about 160 or 165 do not let it get higher than 170 since that will sterilize rather than pasteurize. the other questions I know little .. but I think you want to add gypsum rather than lime.. you use lime for when you are using peat to offset its acidity .. I could be wrong on that though ..

Invisibleimpeachme2
AmateurMycologist
 User Gallery

Re: baffled with casing questions [Re: orchidfanatic]
    #7404153 - 09/13/07 09:04 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Your garden store should have hydrated lime. Do not get a lime MIX as it has too much magnesium. Make sure it's straight up hydrated lime. The magnesium level of that type of product should be below 1%.

Use about 10% of your coir's volume to measure out the lime. That should give you the desired ph.

--------------------
tradelist

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix