Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse
    #7399935 - 09/12/07 08:54 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Currently using BRF in half pint jars, spawned to a 50/50 casing mix in a greenhouse with a humidifier. Getting good results, but making a ton of jars like this is tough on the schedule. Is there anything I should look into?

--------------------
It is my eyes which see, and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth. It is my ears which hear, and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world. It is my mind which thinks, and the judgment of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth. It is my will which chooses, and the choice of my will is the only edict I must respect.
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecloudtripper
Knock and theDoor will open
Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: bzflag]
    #7399942 - 09/12/07 08:56 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Horse Poo or Coir as a substrate. Spawn a brf jar or two to bulk amount and you will have more, bigger and probably more potent mushrooms with less effort in the long run.

--------------------
Always come back again. Never come back the same.

Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: cloudtripper]
    #7400570 - 09/12/07 12:30 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, just got back from the store...

I'm going to try to spawn to Coir using this guide:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6004845/an/0/page/0

Bought some Blood meal as well. Do I add the blood meal to the coir and cake mix as I make the spawns?

When I make these into casings, I'll need to use new containers and just substitute the fully colonized coir/cake mix instead of just cakes like in this tek?
http://www.shroomery.org/54/50-50-Casing-Tek

--------------------
It is my eyes which see, and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth. It is my ears which hear, and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world. It is my mind which thinks, and the judgment of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth. It is my will which chooses, and the choice of my will is the only edict I must respect.
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #7400605 - 09/12/07 12:46 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

id maybe go ahead and step up to grains in pints, and eventually quarts.

if you can consistently get mycelium to grow on brf/verm, then grains arent too much more of a 'leap', just a bit more attention to detail and cleanliness, with a few steps that are different. (no verm barrier to protect it, but benefits from polyfil/tyvek/etc for filtration, instead)

--------------------

Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: dysphoria]
    #7401662 - 09/12/07 06:03 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

anyone else have any input?

--------------------
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

OfflineBigGlove
Stranger
    #7402216 - 09/12/07 07:55 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a newbie who has recently stepped up to spawning bird seed to bulk substrate, and I gotta say it's worth it.

I don't know what kind of money you like to invest in your hobby, but I don't have a substantial income so every thing I suggest is pretty low budget.

Build a glove box to work in. I won't explain how to make one because mine was based on materials available, but I will explain my modification in case you can't find suitable gloves for your box. I took a rain coat that had elastic wrists and used those for the sleeves, and just use some polypro gloves that come far up the wrist. Instead of attaching the gloves to the box, you just sanitize them before you put your hands in the box.

Learn about grain. It's a good medium to grow mycellium that will be used to spawn other substrate because it's easier to crumble. The wild bird seed you see at any store is grain good enough for this purpose.

Once you get your jars growing on grain, learn to spawn to a bulk substrate. Bulk doesn't mean massive amounts, but most bulk substrates are such a PITA that if you weren't making alot it wasn't worth processing it.

Coir is different. Coir is the best substrate for hobby growers, hands down. Pasteurization of the substrate is accomplished at the same time you hydrate it. Here is my current method, and it's designed for time efficiency and fresh yields sufficient to share with friends. I hate having to dry shrooms just because you don't have enough for your plans.

All of my jars are prepared by grain to grain transfer. If your unfamiliar with it, the information is better presented on the boards and should be easy to locate.

My bulk sub is coco coir, purchased in 'bricks' at a local hydro shop for about $2.50. No dry weight/content on package, just says it "yields 8-9 liters". In a sanitized 5 gallon bucket from a home improvement store I toss in one brick of coir and pour 1 gallon of rapidly boiling water over it, then cover until cool.

In a sanitized 18 or 21 gallon rubbermaid I mix the bucket of coir, about a cup of coffee, 1/2 cup of flax seed, 1/4 - 1/2 a cup of powdered egg shells/oyster shells/lime, and a tsp of hydrated lime. Mix well, then mix in 3-4 quart jars of grain.

The rubbermaid is perferated with 1/4" holes from the substrate level to the tup spaced every 2ish inches.

I then put the tub in my closet for 3-4 weeks. Move it under a fluoro when substrate is fully colonized. Case it after the first flush.

It's not the most efficient use of my materials yet, but the next step is cloning a fruit. That's what I'm getting prepared to do for the next batch, and with that I'll learn to use liquid cultures as well.

Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: BigGlove]
    #7404343 - 09/13/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks BigGlove.

Can anyone answer my question about casing from the third post?

--------------------
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

OfflineBigGlove
Stranger
    #7404571 - 09/13/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Are you asking if you should crumble the cakes in the coir, let it colonize, then case it? If so that is correct.

Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: BigGlove]
    #7404656 - 09/13/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm asking more about the casing procedure after I spawn to the substrate...TIA

--------------------
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7404958 - 09/13/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

First, forget the blood meal. It is of little use to fungi unless composted. Coir is fine by itself, or you can mix in coffee grinds, worm castings, horse manure, etc. Inoculate the coir with your spawn, leaving 1" at the top of the container. When the coir is fully colonized, place 1/2" of pasteurized peat/verm on top as a casing. When the mycelium breaks through the top, introduce to fruiting conditions. You can read up on 'patching', but it's an optional procedure. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinecbezzy01
Stranger
    #7405061 - 09/13/07 04:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I was in your shoes not too long ago. I felt overwhelmed by people reccomending spawning hpoo and what not. I decided to move up to Wild Bird Seed. My suggestion is, unless you are in a hurry to learn bulk procedures, to try using a grain (rye or wbs) substrate with whatever casing you choose (miracle grow moisture control is the easiest to work with in my experience)

Have you made your own prints? Syringes?

Both of those procedures really helped me mature as a cultivator.

Offlinebzflag
Stranger
Male

Re: Next step up from BRF 50/50 in greenhouse [Re: cbezzy01]
    #7406463 - 09/13/07 09:24 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome. Thanks RR thats exactly what I was wondering about. I'll look into getting some coffee grinds.

What about using LC with coir? LCs look interesting to me and I'd like to try them out eventually.

--------------------
-Ayn Rand, Anthem

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds