Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewhodi
spirit

ID Houston area 6pics
    #735482 - 07/10/02 02:48 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi All,
I just got back and don?t know what I have here. Can some one help me ID these lil things please. The first three are the same and the second three are another. Thanks peace
whodi

And

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: ID Houston area 6pics [Re: whodi]
    #735517 - 07/10/02 03:09 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If I am not mistaken, the first three pics are of paneaolus antillarum...non active. However, if any of them bruise blue then they are most certainly copelandia cyanescens...active. They will have a black spore print.

The second three look like some kind of chantarelle...although not being from texas, I can not be certain as to the type...around here chantarelles rarely grow directly from logs like that...but usually from buried wood on the forest floor.

Maybe someone from texas can better id the chantarelle like ones. If they are they will most likely be edible.

Cheers...wait for positive Id before ingesting them however.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: ID Houston area 6pics [Re: whodi]
    #735541 - 07/10/02 03:23 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

First pics are inactive Panaeolus Antillarum a cope lookalike. Second set must be something on the Omphalotus specie, they resemble Omphalotus Olivascens aka Jack-O-Lantern, they are poisonous.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: ID Houston area 6pics [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #735562 - 07/10/02 03:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I aslo thought of that St , the problem is they are lookalikes , look here.
In reply to:

Comments
This much sought-after edible is recognized by a fleshy, yellow, vase-shaped, fruiting body, wavy margin, and shallow, ridge-like gills that are conspicuously decurrent. Unfortunately for mycophagists, it often grows well protected in a thick understory of Toxicodendron diversilobum (Poison Oak). Collectors should be aware that other yellow mushrooms are occasionally mistaken for the chanterelle, notably Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca (False Chanterelle), Ompahlotus olivascens (Jack O'Lantern Fungus), and Gomphus floccosus (Wooly Chanterelle). Hygrophoropsis aurantiaca is a less fleshy, buff to orangish, probably edible species that grows on rotting wood or wood chips; an important field character is its dichotomously branched, brightly colored, true gills. Omphalotus olivascens, a toxic species, usually has an eccentric stipe, a yellowish-olive color, true gills, and grows either on rotting wood or at the base of hardwoods. Gomphus floccosus is a chanterelle relative which can cause stomach upsets. It also has a vase-like shape, but can be distinguished by a cap which has a hollow center surrounded by orange scales. Also in the S. F. Bay Area is Cantharellus subalbidus, an excellent edible species that differs from C. cibarius in being pallid to almost white in color and having white spores.

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: ID Houston area 6pics [Re: MAIA]
    #735573 - 07/10/02 03:51 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yup suspected that may have been the case...as I have not seen chanarelles grow like that, and they did not look as delicate as chantarelles...but that was all I had to go on...as I always say...ID positive equals a longer life...errr well that was actually the first time I said it that way..but yall know what I mean.

Cheers and play safe...thanks Maia

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Invisiblewhodi
spirit

Re: ID Houston area 10pics [Re: whodi]
    #735593 - 07/10/02 04:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks here are two more.

This thing falls apart as soon as you pull it.

Anonymous

#735702 - 07/10/02 05:28 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: ID Houston area 10pics [Re: ]
    #736623 - 07/10/02 11:23 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I was about to say that Mr. Mushies...I think they are synonamous with clitocybe nuda...if I remember correctly the common name is Blewit...and there are several different purple to bluish edible mushies that make up this group...they are very tasty. I found about 20 lbs last year...only ours were more purple like.

Cheers and nice pics

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Invisiblewhodi
spirit

#736893 - 07/10/02 01:44 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help. I never thought I'd find this much help on mushies. This is a great site and has all the information needed to do what you want to do with your mushie friends.
I truly love the humor here. It's better then any forum I've come across OG and CW included.
I'll stop posting so much when my books come in. What is a good book for IDing in the texas area(or any) or is there not that much difference from one area to another.
Mr_Mushrooms I still have my eyes open. Thanks
whodi

Anonymous

Re: ID Houston area 10pics [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #736944 - 07/10/02 02:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Anonymous

#736985 - 07/10/02 02:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #737234 - 07/10/02 04:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"They are not exactly synonymous with Clitocybe nuda, the blewit, the Lactarius come from the family Russulaceae and the Clitocybe come from the family Tricholomataceae. Lactarius have warty or ridged amyloid spores and Clitocybe have smooth or slightly roughened spores. Amyloid means they stain when Melzer's reagent is applied."

Sorry just what a mycologist told me..man you gotta watch them sneaky mycologists...so much misinformation...hehe. He probably was tired and mistakenly told me this...if I was thinkin at the time I would have come to this conclusion myself, as I have picked lactarius before...and they did not have the same firm consistancy of the clitocybe...the day you stop learning is the day you die.

Cheers

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

#737285 - 07/10/02 04:38 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #737319 - 07/10/02 04:45 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I only tried lacts once. It was lactarius delicious..I believe, kinda stained a flourescent greenish...and it was orange. personaly I liked the nuda better. But oysters are tops in my books...mmmmmmm good.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Anonymous

#737348 - 07/10/02 04:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #737383 - 07/10/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I guess you could consider Lactarius and Clitocybe to be in the same group if the group is the Basidiomycetes. That's sort of a stretch.

I've only tried Lactarius deliciosus a few times. They have a nasty, gritty texture that I don't find at all pleasant. The flavor is pretty good, though. The only way I've had them that was OK was when we baked them with trout. For most mushrooms that would be gross overcooking, but for Lactarius it removed the grittiness.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: ID Houston area 6pics [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #737829 - 07/10/02 08:21 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Cantharelles don't have real gills like the mushroom on the picture. It's hard to tell exactly what it is.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#737832 - 07/10/02 08:22 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The greenish one resembles very mush Clitocybe odora. If I'm correct it should have a strong aniseed smell.

Edited by zeronio (07/10/02 08:23 PM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Re: ID Houston area 10pics [Re: ToxicMan]
    #737838 - 07/10/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

"The only way I've had them that was OK was when we baked them with trout."

Try to grill them next time. I prefer them that way.

Edited by zeronio (07/10/02 08:25 PM)

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: ID Houston area 10pics [Re: zeronio]
    #738002 - 07/10/02 11:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yep it could be, i also though about Clitocybe nebularis being a possibility here, any ideas ?

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates