Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Homemade "Laminar" flow hood
    #7346495 - 08/28/07 10:13 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I'm at it again.... trying to find a cheaper way to achieve what the expensive stuff does. This time I went for the Laminar Flow Hood. This project was pulled off for less than $300.00. As I go through this, I ask for criticism. Be harsh, be cruel, but most of all be truthful. This is my first attempt, and I got ideas from web sites. Here goes....

This is the chosen Hepa filter which is rated at 99.97% at .3 micron. Costs $60.00 at Lowes.

This is the chosen Pre-filter for the unit. It is rated at 97% at .3 micron. Costs $20.00 at Lowes.

This is the chosen squirrel cage blower for the unit. It is rated to give a full air exchange in a 2200 square foot area in 5 minutes. Yes , I realize those are not the specs we are looking for but that was all that was available to me. Cost $90.00 at my local HYDROPONICS GROW STORE.

These are the the tools I used for the "heavy" work. A drill, a jigsaw, and a circular saw.

The total amount of boards used were 6 2'X4' handy boards. They cost $8.00 a piece. Total of $48.00 in wood.

I'm not going to go into exact measurements because they are totally relative to the type of filters and blower fan you choose. My only suggestion is that you make the most of the wood dimensions.

This is the construction of the top box which houses the blower fan and pre-filter. Notice that I used left over cuttings for the filter rests. (You don't want the filter to get sucked down now don't ya!)

The top box completed. The filter fits perfect and flush to the top. I sealed it with duct tape so that there wouldn't be air coming in through the sides and past the preliminary filter. (not that the HEPA wouldn't catch it but you want the best seals possible.

The PERFECTLY CUT face fitting that will hold the HEPA filter. There was almost no wiggle room to fit this in unit, I had to bang it in there!

The HEPA filter fitted in and sealed, rubber side down), with silicon applied.

Two different views of the completed bottom part of the unit.

This is the top part of the unit finally affixed.

Inside view of the bottom looking up.

Top unit completely sealed.

HEPA installed.

The HEPA filter sealed with duct tape.

All seams sealed with wood filler then sanded down.

The unit being tested for "Laminar Flow". This really looked better live! The stream of smoke was fast and steady.

Made my "live" version of THE SHROOMERY logo,(heheheheheh), and thew down some extra paint laying around in my garage.

There you have it! I'm done. Is this considered a Laminar Flow Hood? I guess RR will have to pic it apart. Anyway, I'm about to use it in the next grow. Got some F+ on the way from one of our wonderful vendors and will put her to the test.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7347156 - 08/29/07 03:46 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Pretty dope paint job mang, you should move this to the teks section. 

Looks good.  Only thing i saw though was that it's going to look messy after a couple of times of cutting silicone and reapplying in order to change the filters on that bad boy, but that's avoidable.  Good job:thumbup:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #7347256 - 08/29/07 05:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I seem to recall something about the importance of making sure the flow is strong enough to bend the flame on a lighter/alcohol lamp but not too strong that it blows it out completely.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: mycocurious]
    #7347351 - 08/29/07 06:45 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

You won't get laminar flow from a cheap paper filter. It doesn't have enough resistance to create a pressurized plenum behind the filter, thus no laminar flow. When you get your hands and/or jars etc., into the flow, eddies and other turbulence will occur that will force contaminants into your work. I'd suggest running it for a few hours before working to clean the air in the room, and then shut it down just before doing the sterile work.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: mycocurious]
    #7347606 - 08/29/07 08:54 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
I seem to recall something about the importance of making sure the flow is strong enough to bend the flame on a lighter/alcohol lamp but not too strong that it blows it out completely.

It does bend the flame from that distance. Get closer than that and it will blow out the flame.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7347610 - 08/29/07 08:55 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You won't get laminar flow from a cheap paper filter. It doesn't have enough resistance to create a pressurized plenum behind the filter, thus no laminar flow. When you get your hands and/or jars etc., into the flow, eddies and other turbulence will occur that will force contaminants into your work. I'd suggest running it for a few hours before working to clean the air in the room, and then shut it down just before doing the sterile work.
RR

So Do I still work inside the glove box after I run it for a couple of hours?

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineDark_Shroom
Myco-curious
Male

Loc: Walking the thinnest lin...
    #7347871 - 08/29/07 10:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Make Magazine did a article on making a laminar flow hood.  I think it was issue 7.  "Home Mycology Lab"  I'm new to the whole myco-scene, so I went out reading everything and found it.  Looked like a nice project, but then I just said screw it and filled my room with lysol instead.  :grin:

Must have been fun putting it together.  Love the paint job.  :thumbup:

--------------------
This person does not engage in illegal activities. All questions are hypothetical. All answers are theoretical.

Offlinewhiterussia
Stranger

Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: Dark_Shroom]
    #7347920 - 08/29/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

hey man! that looks good I like the paint job. That size of the squirrel cage seems a little bit over kill thought don't you think? 2220 square feet is a lot of space you might have saved money going with a smaller one? but there may not have been that option.

--------------------
When you make your peace with authority, you become authority. - Jim Morrison

The most loving parents and relatives commit murder with smiles on their faces. They force us to destroy the person we really are: a subtle kind of murder. - Jim Morrison

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: whiterussia]
    #7348376 - 08/29/07 12:47 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Why didn't you get a real Hepa filter?

FP
has a new one for $129.00 plus S&H..

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters
Custom manufactured to FP's critical specifications, these scanned water resistant micron filters are stocked in six sizes and screen out all airborne contaminants down to .3 microns with a guaranteed efficiency of 99.99%. All of these HEPA filters operate at .8 inches of static pressure. Individually scanned and tested for quality. These filters are used throughout the microbiological industry and by computer manufacturers, nuclear laboratories, photographers, and anywhere else clean air is a must.
MF1212 12 x 12 x 5.8 inches $89.95
MF2412 24 x 12 x 5.8 inches $129.00
MF2418 24 x 18 x 5.8 inches $159.00
MF2424 24 x 24 x 5.8 inches $229.00
MF3624 36 x 24 x 5.8 inches $289.00
MF4824 48 x 24 x 5.8 inches $349.00

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
    #7348391 - 08/29/07 12:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

how about you test it! pore some agar dishes under the hood then let them cool and the open them as thoe you where striking them with spores , do it real slow to to maxamize exposer , and the see if that contamanate,, the proof is in the pudding ,, and all teh are chair speculation from this end really cant say for sure becase we can see or feel the air or filters but it looks like you did a nice job on the constrution

Edited by Dem_Bones (08/29/07 12:54 PM)

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: whiterussia]
    #7349586 - 08/29/07 07:19 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

whiterussia said:
hey man! that looks good I like the paint job. That size of the squirrel cage seems a little bit over kill thought don't you think? 2220 square feet is a lot of space you might have saved money going with a smaller one? but there may not have been that option.

The size of the room I'm working in is 20,736 square feet. The combined resistance between the preliminary filter and the HEPA FILTER does put the blower to the test!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: Brainiac]
    #7349605 - 08/29/07 07:24 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Brainiac said:
Why didn't you get a real Hepa filter?

FP
has a new one for $129.00 plus S&H..

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters
Custom manufactured to FP's critical specifications, these scanned water resistant micron filters are stocked in six sizes and screen out all airborne contaminants down to .3 microns with a guaranteed efficiency of 99.99%. All of these HEPA filters operate at .8 inches of static pressure. Individually scanned and tested for quality. These filters are used throughout the microbiological industry and by computer manufacturers, nuclear laboratories, photographers, and anywhere else clean air is a must.
MF1212 12 x 12 x 5.8 inches $89.95
MF2412 24 x 12 x 5.8 inches $129.00
MF2418 24 x 18 x 5.8 inches $159.00
MF2424 24 x 24 x 5.8 inches $229.00
MF3624 36 x 24 x 5.8 inches $289.00
MF4824 48 x 24 x 5.8 inches $349.00

Thanks for that! I will definitely explore that option for my second attempt. Please remember that I make this was my first attempt at a Laminar Flow Hood. I already have so many ideas on how I would have done it different.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #7349653 - 08/29/07 07:40 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dem_Bones said:
how about you test it! pore some agar dishes under the hood then let them cool and the open them as thoe you where striking them with spores , do it real slow to to maxamize exposer , and the see if that contamanate,, the proof is in the pudding ,, and all teh are chair speculation from this end really cant say for sure becase we can see or feel the air or filters but it looks like you did a nice job on the constrution

You are so right! You know that I will take RR's advice, but when I get my first flush I will make about 20 syringes the tried and true way then go experimenting and putting the Flow Hood to the test. The proof is indeed in the pudding. Thanks for taking the time to respond

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7349669 - 08/29/07 07:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The size of the room I'm working in is 20,736 square feet

You'll have much better success if you move your operation, especially sterile work to a much smaller room. You can then run your hepa filter 24/7 to keep the room clean. I think it would be a better idea to shut it off for your actual transfers, but still work inside the protected area. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7349699 - 08/29/07 08:02 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

You'll have much better success if you move your operation, especially sterile work to a much smaller room. You can then run your hepa filter 24/7 to keep the room clean. I think it would be a better idea to shut it off for your actual transfers, but still work inside the protected area. Good luck.
RR

Oh my god, I feel like such a fool! That was totally wrong! The area of the room measures 18' x 18' which would make it 324 square feet. I am so sorry for the mis calculation.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8770746 - 08/13/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

You'll have much better success if you move your operation, especially sterile work to a much smaller room.  You can then run your hepa filter 24/7 to keep the room clean.  I think it would be a better idea to shut it off for your actual transfers, but still work inside the protected area.  Good luck.
RR

Oh my god, I feel like such a fool!  That was totally wrong!  The area of the room measures 18' x 18' which would make it 324 square feet.  I am so sorry for the mis calculation.

LOL! I want some of what you're on. :rofl2:

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: Mad River]
    #8770787 - 08/13/08 09:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mad River said:
Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

You'll have much better success if you move your operation, especially sterile work to a much smaller room.  You can then run your hepa filter 24/7 to keep the room clean.  I think it would be a better idea to shut it off for your actual transfers, but still work inside the protected area.  Good luck.
RR

Oh my god, I feel like such a fool!  That was totally wrong!  The area of the room measures 18' x 18' which would make it 324 square feet.  I am so sorry for the mis calculation.

LOL! I want some of what you're on. :rofl2:

LOL! This thread is a year old!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8770800 - 08/13/08 09:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

:whack:

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8770855 - 08/13/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Doh! I want some of what I'm on!
                  :partykid:

InvisibleKrez
RamRod
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Homemade "Laminar" flow hood [Re: Mad River]
    #8770858 - 08/13/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Lmao...Me too!

--------------------
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.  (Homer)

Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him. (Drunk Homer)

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not. (Tyler Durden)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds