Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

Meh, I suck at losing weight
    #7329484 - 08/24/07 11:23 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm almost certain I exercise enough (a run for 6 miles at the least a day, roughly 5-6 days a week and I walk a lot) but my eating habits suck

It's usually very crappy food, and I sometimes skip lunch

What constitutes a more vital way of losing weight, diet or exercise?

--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Hyper_Panda_GO]
    #7329506 - 08/24/07 11:31 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

diet. but some people can eat anything, not work out and still be skinny as heck. Diet and metabolism are key factors.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger

#7329612 - 08/24/07 12:09 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Losing weight is a simple matter of burning more calories than you take in. Stop eating the crap and start eating healthy food. Keep moving. You'll start to lose the weight.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7329648 - 08/24/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

geez dude.. 6 miles a day.. damn.. well if youre running 6 miles a day most of the week and you still are having trouble losing weight it probably has a lot to do with what youre eating and your metabolism. i mean its always the same anyway less food more activity.. but everyone has slower or faster metabolisms to start with so some people can get away with doing whatever they want.. i guess youre someone with a slower metabolism. anyway yeah cut out the junk you said you eat and keep it consistent and youll make progress.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Locus]
    #7329673 - 08/24/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I ahve a horribly slow metabolism

The sucky thing is I'm going to have to cut running for about two weeks until I can get situated in my new living quarters

--------------------

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7329719 - 08/24/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

whats youre height and weight anyway? how overweight are ya?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7329858 - 08/24/07 01:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hyper_Panda_GO said:
I'm almost certain I exercise enough (a run for 6 miles at the least a day, roughly 5-6 days a week and I walk a lot) but my eating habits suck

It's usually very crappy food, and I sometimes skip lunch

What constitutes a more vital way of losing weight, diet or exercise?

Diet for sure. Especially as you age and your metabolism slows. I lost 30lbs recently while reducing my workout/activity load. I started eating raw foods and sprouted grains. Gave up sugar and dairy and meat. The weight just fell off and I have more energy than I have had for a long time. As my taste buds adjusted I now do not crave those other foods anymore.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Icelander]
    #7330076 - 08/24/07 02:49 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The hardest part is the adjustment period.  In my experience sugar is really really addictive and I'll make any excuse to eat it.  I mean really any excuse.  I'll tell myself I am taking on other people's bad karma by eating all this unhealthy food, or that it's okay to gorge on chocolate chip pancakes smothered in butter and maple syrup as long as I do it mindfully. :lol:  I'm in the process of cutting down and eating healthier but there is a lot of room for regression.  I've gained about 10 lbs. this summer, all of it fat. :rolleyes: Oh well, at least I'll have some meat on my bones for the winter. :tongue:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Lion]
    #7330206 - 08/24/07 03:27 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm trying to gain weight. Last I checked I was 148. Trying to eat nuts and alot of fat and carbs. I dont really care for alot of protien.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #7330281 - 08/24/07 03:42 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Choose what carbs and fat you eat carefully. Better to be scrawny and healthy at 148 than have a few extra inches around the waist and have really depleted energy levels.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#7331867 - 08/25/07 02:19 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Eat better and more frequently. It's not your metabolism that's your problem, it's the food and timing that keeps you from losing fat.

Doing small things like eating proportionately and replacing high glycemic carbs with carbs containing a lower glycemic index will get you very far. It'll help your insulin sensitivity which is a great catalyst to good health. Eating a small, and I mean small calorie deficit is also the way to go. Just don't get drastic and/or cut meals because that's just another two steps backward.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: Locus]
    #7332603 - 08/25/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

5'10 180ish

So maybe ten pounds or so, or maybe it's on target I forget

What sort of foods would everyone recommend?

--------------------

OfflineSCleROTiUM_LICK
ResearchedFiction Writer

#7332921 - 08/25/07 12:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I can relate.  I've caught myself thinking that America's obesity trend might be due to a subconscious psychic awareness of a future crisis in which food will become utterly scarse for all.  And that to get fit might be putting oneself in jeopardy.

I pretty much decided in response that I probably wasn't quite ready to grab the bull of health by the horns.  But I must be getting my shit together because it just occurred to me that even if I don't have any excess fat, I could still always slaughter those around me who do. :chef:   

C'mon.  Its not like you'll be able to outrun me.    :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineTwisteDPsiLo
Burnt-outBurnout
Male

Loc: Canada, ON
Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: SCleROTiUM_LICK]
    #7333020 - 08/25/07 01:38 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Diet is 90%
Training is 10% when it comes to losing weight

browndustin sounds like he knows whats up... read up on losing weight at www.bodybuilding.com, even if your not planning on lifting weights you can still find some good info. on losing weight.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7333095 - 08/25/07 02:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Oh well, at least I'll have some meat on my bones for the winter. :tongue:

You mean fat, don't you chubby.:lol::heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: TwisteDPsiLo]
    #7333099 - 08/25/07 02:15 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Twisted knows what he's talking about. Diet dictates everything from gaining muscle to losing weight. Fuck, I've even taken steroids and illegal cutting drugs like clenbuteral (well, it's a bronchialdilator used for fat loss, and it's prescription-only) but yeah, diet made all the difference. Not AAS, not peptides, not prescription drugs - my DIET!!!

If you're stumped on which foods to eat, start reading guides on the internet to get a general idea, and then apply it to your current situation. For me, I put boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven and then toss a bit of soy sauce on them to retain moisture. These bad boys can then have a little hot sauce tossed on 'em or bbq sauce because the small amount of sugar means piss all with my excellent insulin sensitivity. Cook up some cheap brown rice or whole wheat pasta and dude, you can eat that stuff all week!!

For those who like more fresh foods, eat it over the next day or two. Your meal prep's drastically cut down in time, leaving you an opportunity to either include some other food or just time for yourself. Some people feel the need to toss in a salad, hell, go right ahead!!! Use the bagged stuff or prep some yourself - salad keeps very well. And I usually toss something acidic on it like vinegar or lemon juice. I've never tasted salad dressing aside from ranch and I hate the stuff (it looks like puke to me lol)... but yeah, just another idea.

See, things really come together when you think about it simply. My life is just like that now. I eat clean meals around the clock and I occasionally toss in something bad, but for good measure. This little trick keeps my metabolism from slowing down. I eat about 8-9 small meals a day, including protein shakes, so when I scarf down a fuckload of pizza, my body goes "wooooah, something foreign!! it's going to take some energy to break this down and use it appropriately" and while energy may inevitably turn into fat, my metabolism is revved up for another week!!

If you have a higher bodyfat percentage, limit cheat meals to once every 10 days to two weeks. It takes the edge off, big time, and it does something very beneficial.

I also suggest having quick foods to snack on, or something just damn quick in terms of meal prep. Those tiny cans of flavored tuna are great, and tuna's always lean with good fats anyway. It's relatively low in sodium, low overall calories, high in protein and very filling.

Natural peanut butter is great, especially if you're a vegetarian. I get the same satiety from eating PB that I do when I eat meat - heck, I need to almost avoid eating too much PB because I can live off it lol

These are just a few simply ideas. Bagged, frozen veggies, lean meats, whole wheat grains and eggs are a great place to start. From there, you can include other food stuffs and start getting exotic. Good eating does NOT have to be shitty eating!!! Just cut corners like I do and skin time off meal prep, and it'll feel way less draining and far more rewarding!!!

I'm at 10% bodyfat right now and sitting there very comfortably. I could even cut down further, and probably will, but I'll do so steadily so that homeostasis doesn't fight me and give me troubles. Heck, I'm actually going to go wolf down some pizza in a couple of minutes because it's my cheat meal - and the strange thing is that this fatty, high carb meal with tons of sodium and bad fats will be the catalyst and fire under my ass to get me LEAN! Sounds crazy, doesn't it? :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

Re: Meh, I suck at losing weight [Re: browndustin]
    #7336158 - 08/26/07 12:21 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Man, those are good ideas but I honestly don't think I have the fortitude to do that

I
m mostly worried about the meal situation though, I'll only be able to eat 12 meals a week starting in a few days

--------------------

OfflineChazzersize
Pokemon Master
Male

Loc: Center Of The World
    #7336215 - 08/26/07 12:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hyper_Panda_GO said:
Man, those are good ideas but I honestly don't think I have the fortitude to do that

I
m mostly worried about the meal situation though, I'll only be able to eat 12 meals a week starting in a few days

With that attitude, you're going to do nothing BUT stay where you are or gain.

You can do it, dude. It's not that hard. Just stay away from fast food, sweets in moderation, eat when you're HUNGRY....

Meaning breakfast, lunch and dinner with maybe a few snacks in between. I'd always find myself staring with this dead gaze in front of my fridge if I was even remotely bored.

Keep yourself occupied and if you cant do this for YOURSELF....find another reason for you to do it.

Good luck and you can do it.

Just follow what some others said and sign up for the bodybuilding.com forums. I've learned so much about nutrition and just being HEALTHY from there....more than I could have EVER learned from a fad diet book that'll be on the sale rack at your local barns and noble within months.

--------------------
Take off my mask and leave the lies to the liars.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#7336352 - 08/26/07 01:29 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hyper_Panda_GO said:

I

You what? So essentially you're complaining about being out of shape and proclaim that you have absolutely no desire to do anything about it? Hmm...

You need to understand how dead, fucking simple this is, man. I mean, for the most part I laid out my best practices and it's made my life a hell of a lot easier. You don't have to follow everything I do or live like a bodybuilder, but seriously, if you can't follow simple meal prep advice, especially considering how you think you're so restricted, I don't know what else you can do to lose weight.

It's all in the diet. I've used steroids and every cutting drug under the sun but they'll do piss all unless your diet's there. And if you have an immaculate diet anyway, it'll put any cutting drug to shame. But if you do nothing about it, you're going to keep packing away fat and putting yourself at risk for cardiovascular disease and other complications... don't go out like a fat, out of shape statistic. You DO have time to cook more than 12 meals a week too. You can't say that.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #7338982 - 08/27/07 07:03 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

> What constitutes a more vital way of losing weight, diet or exercise?

Neither. Eating habits are where it is at. Eat often, eat what your body wants, but don't eat very much at a time (never continue eating until you are full or stuffed). It is much better to be constantly eating a little handful of food than to eat two or three huge meals. After a few weeks of constantly eating tiny portions, your weight will begin to fall off. However, one big all you can eat "oh my God, I'm stuffed" meal, and you ruin it all.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag