Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Loc: the earf
hydrogen peroxide truth?
    #7328914 - 08/24/07 08:00 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Just wondering how harmful H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide) really is to mushroom mycelium????

If I mist my uncolonized casing layer with H2O2+H2O will it prevent/affect colonization?

--------------------
Everything and anything said by this person or thru this account is completely fictional and/or hypothetical fantasy and should not be taken seriously and do not reflect the views or actions of the account holder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: antimatt3r]
    #7328918 - 08/24/07 08:01 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

it slows growth. why would you want to mist with peroxide anyway?

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #7328956 - 08/24/07 08:22 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The only reason to mist with peroxide is to kill of certain molds, I think cobweb is one of them. It damages both the unwanted molds mycelium and the cubensis but the cubensis can make a comeback.

You must not mist with a water and peroxide mix on a regular basis.

The search function will have a load of posts explaining exactly when and how peroxide must be used if you want more specific info

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Edited by Nibin (08/24/07 08:24 AM)

Invisibleantimatt3r
umumz
Female

Loc: the earf
    #7328960 - 08/24/07 08:24 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I had some in my water bottle that I use to mist, its not a regular habit, just happened to be in there..... the last couple casing I have done the casing layer didnt get colonized by mushroom mycelium and eventually was infected with trich, I guess the poor/non colonization of the casing layer could have possibly been due to h2o2 in the water...

--------------------
Everything and anything said by this person or thru this account is completely fictional and/or hypothetical fantasy and should not be taken seriously and do not reflect the views or actions of the account holder.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7328965 - 08/24/07 08:26 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

how long between the time you cased, and the point that the trich first showed up? What I'm thinking is that perhaps the H2O2 was hindering the mycelium enough to where the trich got a jump on it, as, to my knowledge, H2O2 does not affect the growth of trich.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7329045 - 08/24/07 09:18 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

H2O2 applications should be reserved as a reactive measure and not in a proactive/preventative manner.

The reason (I believe) it works on some fungal contaminates is because our mycelium colony is large enough to recover from the H2O2 blast whereas the newly forming contaminate cannot.

That's not to say it's harmless to our mycelium, it still shocks it a bit, but the much larger colony below can usually bounce back from this. Continual applications however will keep in that weakened, shocked state.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineFalseMaria
Perverted Goddess of Metropolis
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7329054 - 08/24/07 09:21 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I usually humidify my FC with wet perlite that has a smidgen of peroxide. Would the peroxide in there adversely affect growth?

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: FalseMaria]
    #7329090 - 08/24/07 09:31 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

probably not because hidrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxigen quite fast.

--------------------

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: FalseMaria]
    #7329098 - 08/24/07 09:33 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

it's not really necessary to do that.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #7329559 - 08/24/07 11:50 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Everytime I mist I use a 1:10 , H2O2 and H2O .

I put H2O2 in my coolmists along with a splash of bleach . I've never seen any adverse side effects .:thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisibleslackophage
Misanthropist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattleish
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: HippieChick]
    #7329600 - 08/24/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I tried misting with some H2O2 in the mix and wound up with a bunch of aborts and one stalled cake.

But from what HippieChick says, there was probably just too much H2O2.

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7329622 - 08/24/07 12:12 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Well probably if you stop doing it, you will see improvement.

As people have already said, peroxide is a cure for a specific problem, not a preventive measure.

Quote:

From RogerRabbit Here

Peroxide has a good use to fight cobweb. There is little other use for it in mycology, and it should never be used when cloning because it damages the mushroom mycelium as much as molds, so it hurts your culture that you're trying to clone, right at the time you're trying to encourage it to grow.

Save it for cobweb attacks. I don't even use it in the humidifiers anymore.

and here

o avoid confusion, people should mention the percentage of hydrogen peroxide they USE. If you have 30 count peroxide such as it is measured in Europe, it is at ten percent. If you dilute it three to one, you have 3.33% peroxide. If you purchase it at a drug or grocery store in the US, it comes in 3% concentration. If you dilute it ten to one, you have roughly .3% after mixing.

As I said above, peroxide is toxic to mycelium, all mycelium, therefore it is hated by mushrooms and mold alike. If you have an outbreak of Dactylium, you can spray the casing layer with it to wipe out the cobweb. This doesn't hurt the mushroom mycelium because Dactylium rarely colonizes over the top of mushroom colonized casing layers. I've found it's a mistake to use as a preventative measure because it sets the mushroom mycelium back and makes it less aggressive, then the faster recovering molds get the upper hand. Sterile technique will prevent molds in spawn, and fresh air exchange will prevent most molds in the growing environment, so go with that for best results.

RR

--------------------

Offlinestrengthener
Stranger
Male

Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: Nibin]
    #7332100 - 08/25/07 05:51 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I stopped misting with H2O2, now i use regular tap water, the results are the same :smile:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: Nibin]
    #7333171 - 08/25/07 02:41 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Nibin said:
Well probably if you stop doing it, you will see improvement.

As people have already said, peroxide is a cure for a specific problem, not a preventive measure.

Quote:

From RogerRabbit Here

Peroxide has a good use to fight cobweb. There is little other use for it in mycology, and it should never be used when cloning because it damages the mushroom mycelium as much as molds, so it hurts your culture that you're trying to clone, right at the time you're trying to encourage it to grow.

Save it for cobweb attacks. I don't even use it in the humidifiers anymore.

and here

o avoid confusion, people should mention the percentage of hydrogen peroxide they USE. If you have 30 count peroxide such as it is measured in Europe, it is at ten percent. If you dilute it three to one, you have 3.33% peroxide. If you purchase it at a drug or grocery store in the US, it comes in 3% concentration. If you dilute it ten to one, you have roughly .3% after mixing.

As I said above, peroxide is toxic to mycelium, all mycelium, therefore it is hated by mushrooms and mold alike. If you have an outbreak of Dactylium, you can spray the casing layer with it to wipe out the cobweb. This doesn't hurt the mushroom mycelium because Dactylium rarely colonizes over the top of mushroom colonized casing layers. I've found it's a mistake to use as a preventative measure because it sets the mushroom mycelium back and makes it less aggressive, then the faster recovering molds get the upper hand. Sterile technique will prevent molds in spawn, and fresh air exchange will prevent most molds in the growing environment, so go with that for best results.

RR

Well , it wouldn't be the first time I didn't totally agree with RR on something , lol , or did something a little different , but I average 226% BE with the way I do things so I'll stick with it ,;)

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7334482 - 08/25/07 09:23 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:Well , it wouldn't be the first time I didn't totally agree with RR on something , lol , or did something a little different , but I average 226% BE with the way I do things so I'll stick with it ,;)

OK, I'm having a dense moment, what does "BE" mean?

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: mycocurious]
    #7334713 - 08/25/07 10:43 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Biological efficiency...the wet yield versus the weight of the substrate.

Invisiblejellyfish

Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7334840 - 08/25/07 11:26 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

My friend always uses the peroxide tek for agar and he works without a glove box or flowhood without contams. The mycelium takes a little longer to colonize but that is all. Other than that it should only be used to help fight already existing infections by adding it to your spray water.

Offlineklen11
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: hydrogen peroxide truth? [Re: jellyfish]
    #13572949 - 12/02/10 12:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I found an article that teaches you how to control mold without hurting the mycelium. It requires a thin layer of paper on top of the layered cakes that has been sprayed with a solution of 2% formaldehyde. Now, I created a solution for my layers that was 1:10 H20:Hydrogen Peroxide and 2% formaldehyde. I just sprayed a thin layer of it over my cakes without adding the thin layer of paper (Paper is used to keep puddles of formaldehyde from forming which will kill mycelium and cause mold (Ironic)) but I only sprayed a little to run a test since my cake already seems to have some mold on it. I figured why not experiment for future possibilities. Well, it has only been one day but here are the results. The white mycelium does not seem to be affected negatively other than it slowed it's growth. I had 4 pinheads, the largest was about 1 cm tall. They all died and I pulled them. The mycelium has not changed color. The mold still has a small amount but less than before. There was a layer of grayish-white mycelium growing which I have heard is kinda a bad thing. It has started to recede but is still there.

Any suggestions?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom