Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMorphMan
δSλ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Deliberate Apathy
    #7328011 - 08/23/07 10:49 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Deliberate apathy, willful negligence, whatever you wish to call it. It seems that a lot of young people that I talk to have this particular state of mind. They're aware that all is not right in the world but they don't care. Excuses such as "it's just the way it is" are a popular thing I hear. A lot of people have the mindset that if things "don't directly effect them, then they don't matter."

I disagree with this viewpoint and think it's just a cop-out. Deliberate apathy, or being aware but purposefully not caring, is a horrible way of looking at things. What do you think? Does it not become your moral and ethical responsibility to attempt to make positive change if you are aware of a wrong in society? Or does the feeling of "not being able to do anything about it" justify this lack of action?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: MorphMan]
    #7328050 - 08/23/07 10:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Instead of bitching, why not present us with your plan to affect change?

--------------------

Invisibleelbisivni
    #7328202 - 08/23/07 11:37 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, go back to your hole and don't come out until you are without opinion or have found a viable remedy for all the worlds' problems..

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#7328343 - 08/24/07 12:26 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

What "wrong in society" are you referring to? Many of the things that people view as "wrong", they propose fundamentally wrong solutions to. Whose perfect world should we go by here?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7329304 - 08/24/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Does it not become your moral and ethical responsibility to attempt to make positive change if you are aware of a wrong in society?

I don't believe in moral or ethical responsibility that is determined by someone else (you for instance). If one does not create society one is not responsible for "fixing" it. It's a choice and not a should.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblevitadura
Dream Seeker

Loc: Here, Now Flag
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: Icelander]
    #7329346 - 08/24/07 10:37 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

For all of high school, I felt surround by apathy. All my friends didn't care about screwing each other over or about budgets being cut and programs consequently being cut, they didn't care about the war, about gay rights, about anything I cared about.

In a way, it's good for me, because it taught me to be less self-cautious. It taught me that, so what if my socks don't match or my hair is frizzy, it doesn't matter.
But in the same respect, we'd skip GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) meetings to go smoke pot. We'd skip classes until we were kicked out for too many absences. We didn't help with fund-raisers or benefits for soldiers in the war, we didn't go to family outings or call our parents to tell them we'd be out for the night. None of this seemed to matter.

It wasn't until I realized that I was being screwed over that I "woke up." I wouldn't be included in plans, I was a tool - to drive a car from one spot to another and "Oh, you wanted to come?" became a common phrase. I saw sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, friends, everyone getting hurt (myself included) because of our ignorance and apathy.

So what I'm trying to say is... Yes, many people are "deliberately apathetic." But they will wake up on their own time, and unfortunately, you can't push them through the door -- they have to get their on their own.

--------------------
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." -Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: vitadura]
    #7329377 - 08/24/07 10:47 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

IMO, many of these apathetic people will never change. Some people will always believe that not caring is easier than having to do something. For the rest of them, they are too far sold on bullshit. They won't touch "drugs" because they are bad and many of those who do might not do it for the right, mind exploring reasons. Many of these people have traded their morals and values for lesser materialistic items. As long as these individuals have their Ipods, video games, cell phones that give everything short of blow jobs, ridiculous cars, and can be easily sold into buying the next "bigger and better" thing, they will never care.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

OfflineMorphMan
δSλ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: vitadura]
    #7330171 - 08/24/07 03:16 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

At least someone understood the thread. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: MorphMan] * 1
    #7330225 - 08/24/07 03:29 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Does it not become your moral and ethical responsibility to attempt to make positive change if you are aware of a wrong in society

No.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: Veritas]
    #7330438 - 08/24/07 04:35 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I kind of feel that the thread starter here is somewhat referring to the present day war (oh, conflict). I often hear the protesters of the vietnam war saying how apathetic kids are today, as if they have put in their dues to liberalism and wait for our money in the form of the SS check and keep prodding us to start the revolution, as they promise us that they will be right behind us once they get a good BM and get out of the barka lounger.

Back in the day, you could get away with being quite vocal. You could eventually hop in some microbus and dissappear into the obscurity of the hippy farms speckled across the country.
the political climate has changed, and so has our government. While a few of the loudest activists back in the day were targetted by the FBi and whatnot, nowadays, they have the technology and intelligence/surveillance to character assassinate anyone who becomes eve the slightest participant.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #7330552 - 08/24/07 05:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MorphMan said:
At least someone understood the thread. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

read as: Finally, someone who agrees with my POV.:monkeydance:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineArchemetis

Re: Deliberate Apathy [Re: Icelander]
    #7332402 - 08/25/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

i dont think its very reasonable to distract yourself with attempting to change problems beyond what one is capable of. all we can do in this world is take care of ourselves and try to take care of our close loved ones. (which is huge actually and far more effective at changing the collective than anyting else)

if you dont like the way the society is functioning all you can do is try to create an alternative for yourself and family to live harmoniously in. the rest of the world is not going to change so easily. your power as a human being in effectivly instigating change is limited to your personal world. deliberate apathy may not be the way but distant compassion works.

"thats just the way it is" :wink:

Edited by Archemetis (08/25/07 09:39 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1