Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedr_psilocybo
Stranger
fractional sterilization experiment
    #7318247 - 08/21/07 03:03 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

this is my first grow, I was originaly going to crumble and case pf jars but decided to go with cased grains instead. I do not have a pressure cooker (I know I really should get one but trust me its not an option right now) so I have been reading about fractional sterilization and the general idea around here seems to be that it dosnt work very well and should only be used if you have no other options. the TEK on fractional sterilization says you should sterilize 3 times with 24 hours between each sterilization. I boiled the jars the first time already 5 days ago but have been hout of town since. my idea is that if I spred out the time between sterilizations it will greatly decrease the amount of contamination hopefuly to near 0% contamination. have anby of you tried this before? if so how did it turn out? i would appreciate any input you have and will keep you posted on the results of my experiment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejaybean77
Stranger

Re: fractional sterilization experiment [Re: dr_psilocybo]
    #7318494 - 08/21/07 04:06 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

the more time in between "sterilizations" the more time contaminants have to re-establish themselves. think about it. plus, heating and cooling multiple times will fuck with the substrate. no? plus this doesnt sound like a very good method. just do the one time boil. why not use something already proven to work to some degree? i wouldnt mess w/ grains until you get a PC. BUT if the jars are already 5 days old and show no signs of contam then you should be in the clear. ive heard of people setting the jars aside for a time after sterilizing and watching for growth BEFORE inoculating them. just to be sure. if you have no contams now, go ahead and inoculate. what are you waiting for?
good luck!

Offlinejaybean77
Stranger

Re: fractional sterilization experiment [Re: jaybean77]
    #7318516 - 08/21/07 04:14 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

wait ok sorry i just re-read up on fractional. i see where you are coming from. scratch that last bit of advice. yeah you still need to kill those spores that probably just germinated in the past 5 days. still i dont think letting more time pass in between is going to work to your advantage. time is on their side it seems not you and yours. colonization is a race between the mushroom mycelium and other such organisms. dont give them little green meanies any more time to grow than you need to. just long enough to germinate and then slam them w/ heat.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: fractional sterilization experiment [Re: jaybean77]
    #7318652 - 08/21/07 04:52 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Green molds aren't the problem, they kill easily below boiling. What we sterilize for is bacterial endospores, which can be really tough to kill. Many begin to form new endospores within hours of germination, so if you go too long between boilings, you're screwed. I'd start over and do the three boilings 24 hours apart as suggested in the tek.

Of course, this method has a very high failure rate, so I'd still recommend using the brf tek. There's nothing wrong with it. Many very experienced growers do very well with pf tek, and stick with it even though they're also experts at bulk.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJ_DrOp MR
seeking
Male

#16722826 - 08/18/12 08:50 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Ha, like 4 years later, but im about to do something very similar to this, did your jar ever colonize? If so, completely?

Offlinecloudpersona
I don't even...

Re: fractional sterilization experiment [Re: J_DrOp MR]
    #16723098 - 08/18/12 09:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

J_DrOp MR said:
Ha, like 4 years later, but im about to do something very similar to this, did your jar ever colonize? If so, completely?

It will work, although poorly, and you'll probably have atleast a 25% contam rate.

--------------------
“The shaman is not merely a sick man, or a madman; he is a sick man who has healed himself.”
– Terence McKenna
“If the words ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’ don’t include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn’t worth the hemp it was written on.”
-Terence McKenna

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #16725278 - 08/18/12 09:48 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Let old threads die the death they deserve.

If you don't wish to sterilize by traditional proved methods, you can simply boil as in the
brf tek for 8 hours and this will sterilize grains.  Fractional sterilization is a failed tek that has been disproved for many years.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale