Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemeathead579
Loc: My house
Filter discs and sterilization
    #731614 - 07/08/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I've ordered some pre-sterilized substrate jars with Micron Magic Filter Discs on them. I plan to innoculate in four holes around each one, but I have a few questions.

1 I understand that the filter discs will filter contams, but will my innoculation holes be big enough to let in any? I would like to leave the caps off and allow plenty of gas exchange, but not if I'm going to be letting in contams. If the holes are too big, I assume I should just punch one hole in the lid before putting it on.

2 Is there any need to be super sterile (gloves, lysol, bleach, clean room) since I'm using these discs? I plan on being at least fairly sterile, but I'm not going to go way out of my way if I dont have to.

3 I ordered my spores from The Little Guy (Props to them). The needles are sealed up very nicely. Do I still need to heat them before innoculating, or will that only complicate things more (I'm going for simplicity here. I'm a newbie)

Thanks for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVizzerdrix 00
Loc: ShRoOm LaNd!
Re: Filter discs and sterilization [Re: meathead579]
    #731663 - 07/08/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, first, I would leave the tops on the jars. and I would be as sterile as possible, it dosent hurt anything. And last, the syringes should be sterile. But id imagine it wouldnt hurt to sterilize it again.

--------------------
later

Offlinemeathead579
Loc: My house
    #731675 - 07/08/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your reply. I assume you mean I should leave the top on and punch a hole in the top to innoculate, but then I cant innoculate in 4 places, right? Plus, Wouldn't that be dangerous, possibly putting a hole in the filter disc?

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
    #731774 - 07/08/02 03:03 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Absolutly heat red hot the syringe needle before use. It might have been sterile when TLG packed it, but syringes sometimes leak a small amount of fluid in the needle during shipping, possible contaims there. No harm for 10 seconds of care.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #731790 - 07/08/02 03:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Use foil to cover jars...put a small piece of tape over the innoculation holes.
Try to have a place with little to no moving air, still spray the air with dissinfectant
Always heat your needles red hot, heat between jars also.
Good luck patients is the key to success.

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #731927 - 07/08/02 04:10 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, you'll have to sterilize the needle. I would flame heat the needle, then wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol on a towel.
Then you can stick your needle right into the filter disk. Just do it close to the edge. Once you've spored your jar up, remove the needle and quickly move the part of the filter disk with the hole in it (the hole you made with the syringe) to the side of the jar.
This way the hole you made isn't over the jar. Then just put the ring back on the jar, and you're good to go.
Hope you understand that!

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

OfflineC12H17N204P
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota, USA
    #731931 - 07/08/02 04:11 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Oh and by the way, you made a very good choice in picking the little guy.

--------------------
"My mind is full of dreams...
My eyes filled with fantasies
I hear what I see
And see what I hear
My senses are not dulled, I simply see clear"

The Green Pages
"My heart is broke, but I have some glue, help me inhale, and mend it with you." - R.I.P. KDB

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags