Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCerebro
Spawnmaster C
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocytus
Fungal pigments
    #7314405 - 08/20/07 01:45 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I have noticed that many fungi possess pigments which have both fluorescent, photo-active, photo-protective, and radio-protective properties. Yesterday I made a jar and put Peganum harmala in it. Harmaline is know to be a UV-A reactive pigment. Melanin is found in the mycelium of the Honey mushroom. Aspergillus flavus aflatoxins are fluorescent. Many fungi produce anthraquinones; many of which are pigments. And didn't hear something about bioluminescent mushrooms like the Ghost mushroom. The white button mushrooms only produce Vitamin D in the presence of light. Light is a trigger for mushroom fruiting, but I'll agree mushies will; at first, PIN in the dark.

Edited by Cerebro (08/20/07 02:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Fungal pigments [Re: Cerebro]
    #7314945 - 08/20/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Light is a trigger for mushroom fruiting, but I'll agree mushies will; at first, PIN in the dark

Of course, that depends on the species. Some, such as many Agaricus mushrooms require no light at all, but I doubt you'd ever get a Shiitake or Oyster mushroom to pin in complete darkness.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Fungal pigments [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7318032 - 08/21/07 02:09 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

The term inkcap gets it's name for that very reason... :shrug:

I often thought it would be cool to use spores to make pigment's for my wifey's paintings but as I'm allergic to mold and most spores... whaddayagonnado.

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale