Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
Storm Cellar
    #7310519 - 08/19/07 12:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I've decided to try and turn my storm cellar into my grow room, basically because it's out of the way and stays 75 - 78 F 24hrs a day. Well, the thing is it was infested by some stray cats for a while, and so, some many year old cat shit and dirt, spiders, the such... have inhabited it for quite some time. My question is, may there be any amount of bleach that will get this 8' X 5' concrete room suitable for my desired task? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

KnotaClu

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: Storm Cellar [Re: knotaclu]
    #7310545 - 08/19/07 12:47 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

i think it will be fine, those are ideal temps. there isnt mold or anything down there is there?

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
Re: Storm Cellar [Re: blood4blood]
    #7310555 - 08/19/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
i think it will be fine, those are ideal temps. there isnt mold or anything down there is there?

I didn't see any mold, the humidity down there is about 60% and no rain or anything gets in. There are wood shelves on one of the walls, and they are dry, and straight, and clean except for the layer of dust :smile:

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#7310578 - 08/19/07 12:55 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

hells yea man. that would be perfect your own private little grow chamber. yea id just clean it up good and you'd be fine. you got outlets right?

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
    #7310582 - 08/19/07 12:56 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

What happens what a tornado comes? lol

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
    #7310631 - 08/19/07 01:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
hells yea man. that would be perfect your own private little grow chamber. yea id just clean it up good and you'd be fine. you got outlets right?

No, but there is a light down there, that I can just run a switch and couple outlets from no prob.

Quote:

legallyhomeless said:
What happens what a tornado comes? lol

That would be one hell of an interesting tornado!

KnotaClu

OfflineSeventy
equanimitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada (PNW)
    #7310742 - 08/19/07 01:34 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

knotaclu said:
I've decided to try and turn my storm cellar into my grow room, basically because it's out of the way and stays 75 - 78 F 24hrs a day. Well, the thing is it was infested by some stray cats for a while, and so, some many year old cat shit and dirt, spiders, the such... have inhabited it for quite some time. My question is, may there be any amount of bleach that will get this 8' X 5' concrete room suitable for my desired task? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

KnotaClu

best possible situation ever. that's a perfectly concealed, cleanable, disinfectable, grow room. clean it up good and you will be laughing.

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
Re: Storm Cellar [Re: Seventy]
    #7310792 - 08/19/07 01:48 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Whew the dust is bad, Im cleaning it as we speak, wearing a paper dust mask, with a box fan blowing out of the room. This is quite the task.

KnotaClu

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#7310866 - 08/19/07 02:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

yea dude it will be well worth it. ur lucky alot of people have alot of trouble trying to grow discretly. i remember reading a post on here awhile bac of a guy who tryed to grow in the trunk of his car. haha

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
    #7310868 - 08/19/07 02:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I want to spray it down w/ a water hose but... I cant think of anyway to get the water out after I do... no drain, only vent on the top, and I have no shop vac... Hmmm.. any suggestions?

KnotaClu

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

#7310877 - 08/19/07 02:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

dehumidifier? fans?

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
    #7311084 - 08/19/07 03:15 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blood4blood said:
dehumidifier? fans?

Duh!!!! DampRid!!!! thanks blood4blood for pointing out the obvious, I would have totally overlooked it.

KnotaClu

OfflineSeventy
equanimitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada (PNW)
    #7311212 - 08/19/07 03:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

yeah man, you're lucky

I've only dreamed to have an underground growroom!

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
Re: Storm Cellar [Re: Seventy]
    #7311404 - 08/19/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Seventy said:
yeah man, you're lucky

I've only dreamed to have an underground growroom!

You could have pretty much the same thing. I was thinking about this before I remembered the storm cellar. Papercrete. You can make a 5'W X 7'T X 6'L room out of blocks of papercrete, and still be able to move it by hand!! Most places don't require building permits for movable structures. Anyway, this stuff is as strong as Concrete, More insulated than any room in your house, and can be sealed on the inside so You can turn the whole thing into a fruiting chamber. Many ideas. Anyway, it's really cheap to make, all you need is some paper, water, sand, and a little bit of portland. Anybody else ever thought of this?

KnotaClu

OfflineMr.Caterpillar
Curiouser & Curiouser!
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #7312951 - 08/20/07 02:27 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Papercrete? I had never heard of that before. The wikipedia citation for this shows that it is an interesting alternative building material, a kind of industrial strength papier mache with properties similar to adobe, but nowhere near as strong and durable.

It sounds like neat stuff for use in a Burning Man project (perhaps), but might be trouble for a mushroom growroom. Keep in mind that high humidity makes everything grow and so you might be amazed how the papercrete (containing cellulose . . . a.k.a "food") grows mold. Could even be a good substrate for oysters!

Anyway your stormcellar should be better than something made of papercrete, but you probably need to think about how to bring fresh, clean, humidified air into it. You also need to think of what to do to keep it from contaminating and methods for keeping it clean also.

I would put a GFCI on the incoming electrical before introducing water and humidity to the scene.

- Mr.Caterpillar

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Storm Cellar [Re: Mr.Caterpillar]
    #7313190 - 08/20/07 05:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Run a power dehumidifier (or two) for about a week down there, maybe even power a good heater to raise the temps into the 80's for a while to help dry everything out and then put a fresh coat of KILZ sealant on the wall if they're unfinished concrete blocks. Masonry holds an unbelievable amount of moisture and getting rid of it first will not only make cleaning easier, it will also go a long way towards preventing future contaminations.

Beyond that the only advice that I'd offer is the more time you spend preparing this environment the nicer it will treat you in the years to come. :envy:

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisibleknotaclu
MycoMania
Re: Storm Cellar [Re: mycocurious]
    #7313274 - 08/20/07 06:43 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This is alot of work, but will be well worth it in the end! thanks for the suggestions so far. As far as the papercrete, My friend owns a native and xeroscape greenhouse for this area, and he made a small papercrete shed, well anyway, Im not quite sure what he does, will have to as, but something with cuttings, anyway, it statys very humid in there probably about 85% or so, I mean u come out wet, anyway, he's been using this thing for about 4 years now, and no mold, or warping. But I do believe it has a sealent on it. Anywho.... Thanks!!!

KnotaClu

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags