Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace
Life doesn't end @ your flesh...

Loc: Theraputic Mountain
Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic)
    #7303592 - 08/17/07 02:25 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

So my last FC i just made didn't work out, i currently still ahve my cakes in it, and they are blueing.... its to hard to keep up with the fanning and all that due to its size and just...poorly designed.

So i was thinking....would this work out? I have a fish tank (i think 10-20 gal), and was thinking i could just do this design...with the piece of plexi glass about 2inches from the bottom. CO2 would sink down and be forced down through the perlite right? Should i give it a try or no? This ones lid is actually made for it so things will work out a little better at least this time.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks all!
peace~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFunkeyMonkey
zooooooom!
 User Gallery

Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: Peace]
    #7303841 - 08/17/07 05:16 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Cool diagram!

Sorry to critisise so early on but it seems that the fans blowing air in those directions will make it very hard to keep any sort of humidity in there.
CO2 flows like water so just a few holes around the bottom will allow the CO2 to 'pour' out. Also... the plexi glass sheet across the bottom will catch alot of the humidity and prevent it reaching the main FC, despite the holes drilled in it.
Try This one..
Sorry about the format of the vid.. a glitch at metube. :P
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>&lt;/object>

--------------------
We can't stop here! This is bat country!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: FunkeyMonkey]
    #7303989 - 08/17/07 06:55 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

CO2 doesn't 'sink to the bottom' or 'pour out like water'. It mixes with the air and raises the CO2 content. CO2 can be measured in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. If it all settled to the bottom(ground) it would snuff out life on earth. Therefore, you can't drain CO2 out of your terrarium by holes on the bottom.

Fans in a small terrarium will dry out the air. That's why your current cakes are blue. They're dry and stressing. You want natural circulation in your FC, near 100% humidity, and enough holes or fanning by hand to get the CO2 out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePeace

Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7307489 - 08/18/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
CO2 doesn't 'sink to the bottom' or 'pour out like water'. It mixes with the air and raises the CO2 content. CO2 can be measured in the upper reaches of the atmosphere. If it all settled to the bottom(ground) it would snuff out life on earth. Therefore, you can't drain CO2 out of your terrarium by holes on the bottom.

Fans in a small terrarium will dry out the air. That's why your current cakes are blue. They're dry and stressing. You want natural circulation in your FC, near 100% humidity, and enough holes or fanning by hand to get the CO2 out.
RR

You told me in another thread that the bluing was from not getting enough air, the humidity has been at 99% all along...i'm confused now :\

But wouldn't the air be forced from the top fan to help circulate the air a bit and force it out of holes at least for when im not around durring the day? humidity wouldnt escape or reach the fan cause i have two baggy's i would place over them (the top fan would actually have to be on the upper side) and act as flaps. With air it flaps open, without, it goes back down and blocks escaping/entering air/humidity.

OfflinePeace

Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: FunkeyMonkey]
    #7307496 - 08/18/07 12:16 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FunkeyMonkey said:
Cool diagram!

Sorry to critisise so early on but it seems that the fans blowing air in those directions will make it very hard to keep any sort of humidity in there.
CO2 flows like water so just a few holes around the bottom will allow the CO2 to 'pour' out. Also... the plexi glass sheet across the bottom will catch alot of the humidity and prevent it reaching the main FC, despite the holes drilled in it.
Try This one..
Sorry about the format of the vid.. a glitch at metube. :P
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="
"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>&lt;/object>

thanks for the video! =D Problem is with that design i get to much air and no humidity, so i had to cover up allot of the holes with tape :[

OfflinePeace

#7318741 - 08/21/07 05:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Here's an update on that new FC i made... seems to be doing better except for the fact that some moisture developed on the side of a pf cake from (i think) the frozen jug of water i place next to the aquarium (outside of it of course)

I placed a baggy with a few pencil sized holes in it over the fan so no moisture gets up into it and has been working the past 4 days.

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

Loc: FL
    #7318791 - 08/21/07 05:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

dude. WATER THEM. mine did the same thing. WATER THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!!! in 5 days youll have pins if you mist the hell out of it!

whats your temps inside. why are you using a frozen water jug??

Edited by sproket13 (08/21/07 05:42 PM)

OfflinePeace

Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: sproket13]
    #7318847 - 08/21/07 05:57 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sproket13 said:
dude. WATER THEM. mine did the same thing. WATER THE SHIT OUT OF THEM!!! in 5 days youll have pins if you mist the hell out of it!

whats your temps inside. why are you using a frozen water jug??

for realll? i've read all over here that puddles are bad, that it causes them to get hard or something and that its not good for pins :\ i read some wrong stuff i guess

So i can just straight up mist them now?

I'm using the frozen water jug because the temperature is at 80F wihout it, with the jug its around 70-74f

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

#7318881 - 08/21/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

fuck that jug!!!!!!!!! my temps are higher. and im doing fine. im not saying put them in a pool and soak them. but dont be too scared to water them. then fan them out for 30 seconds or so. i did this and it was fine. i just found out my cakes were dry, stepped up my misting frequency and how much im misting. and gave tons of FAE. now i have healty lookin pins. just look at my other posts..

OfflinePeace

#7326714 - 08/23/07 05:47 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

damn bro i saw the pic you posted on my other thread, i've been misting away and have my fan covered with the plastic bag going off around 12 and 3pm while im gone....hopefully it does some good at least feeding them more air diluting the co2 levels....since i have no side holes (its glass).

i'll post pics in a sec.

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

#7327115 - 08/23/07 07:34 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

well...dont get too rediculous w/ the misting. but for now, your cakes will love it. im not too sure about that fan. but id say turn it on for 5 minutes every 3 hours. no need for more than that you really should go to wal-mart and buy a rubber made tote!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7327150 - 08/23/07 07:42 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'd dunk that cake for 24 hours, and then place back into the FC. Get rid of the fans. They're probably drying them out. Fan by hand a few times per day and/or build a terrarium with holes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePeace

Re: Last FC was a Failure, Cakes BLUE...good new design?(pic) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7332444 - 08/25/07 09:49 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

good idea, i should just stop avoiding that and buy one finally, and just drill 15 holes in each side like RR's fc method, i have 4 more cakes and dont want this shit happening to them as well...the cakes smelt wierd yesterday, hopefully its just the smell from the blue...not a contam...

probably to much c02 buildup i dunno. This next FC better work, im gonna do it eXACTLY like the movie...all i want is a nice yield of myshys to last me a long while heh, so i'll just find a tote or even just re-modify my last homemade plexi glass one...... no fuck that i'm going all the way fxck the homemade things/ideas for now hah needa stop cuttin corners.

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

#7332815 - 08/25/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

home made isnt cutting corners. just built a shotgun FC. and be done with it!

Offlinefrock
    #7332833 - 08/25/07 12:21 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Sometimes I think people way over think fruiting chambers especially for cakes.

First ditch the fans they are drying your cakes out.

Just go buy a clear rubber maid tub. Its all you need. Dont even worry about holes in the chamber.

Fill with a few inches of perlite mixed with water and some h202.
Put your cakes on little square pieces of foil.

You only need to fan by hand about 3 times a day. 2 times a day is fine if you don't have enough time.

Also, I would dunk those cakes in a tub/bucket of water for 24 hours then roll them is verm.

This will drastically increase your yield.

Dont be scared of dunking. I have never seen a healthy cake contam from a first dunk, even without h202 and only tape water.

Keep this up for 5-7 days and I will guarantee you some pins.

Also your cakes should not smell like anything but fresh mushrooms.

Edited by frock (08/25/07 12:26 PM)

OfflinePeace

#7332880 - 08/25/07 12:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

alright sounds good. What i meant i was just sick of how every time i do a homemade box, like putting together all the plexi glass with all the work and time put into it, got nothing but a disfunctional over sized box, it wasn't holding enough humidity, so this time i will do it RIGHT.

And the smell is reminiscent of smelly socks..... obviously probably isn't good at all....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale