Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
ID request - Pan subb?
    #7286565 - 08/12/07 04:43 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Been meaning to post this for ages, is this a Pan subb?

It was found in a garden bed (specifically a vegetable patch) that had been fertilised with cow poo from a local paddock, and some bags of pre-mixed manure (sheep, chicken and cow) from the shop.

The specimens appeared to be growing from the bottom of some iceberg lettuce that was planted from a seedling punnet, so it's quite possible the mycelium travelled from seedling farm with the baby plants.

The spore print was jet black, and the climate was coolish (just coming into winter, but the winter here isnt very harsh, about 12C overnight temps and 22C day temps). The bed was watered regularly so this would have helped their growth. Here are the pics -

As far as I am aware there aren't any reports that this species is found in Western Australia, but I could be wrong.

If you guys want any more info please ask...

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID request - Pan subb? [Re: _OttO_]
    #7287001 - 08/12/07 08:34 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Panaeolus subbalteatus is pretty much ubiquitous, so I would expect to find it in your region. However, they look a little different from the subbs I see from North America... Also, they are almost strictly a warm weather species in my area, disappearing in Fall and Winter, and making a come back in Spring and Summer. I think this might be P. subbalteatus, or a relative species or even sub-species.

What was the stipe like?

--------------------

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID request - Pan subb? [Re: CureCat]
    #7287018 - 08/12/07 08:45 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The stipe didn't appear to have that 'spiral' like fibrous quality that I've seen described somewhere, they were straight and quite firm, 'snappable'.

The coming into winter here is very warm, we have a climate that from what I can tell is very similar to California to give you some reference point....

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7287024 - 08/12/07 08:47 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Hay there otto nice to see ya posting, I guess the mycelium could have came from the poo you got from the local paddock or from the farm in the soil of the lettuces root ball. Both are quite plausible theories.
Some nice pics there:thumbup:, Looks like there are two kinds of mushroom there, the cap of the shroom your holding in the third row of pics looks weird, kind of rough.

But unfortunately I can neither confirm nor deny the identification of this alleged Panaeolus subbalteatus. :igor:

These are some good pics I can find of that strain. Both pics are different locations, possibly countries.

--------------------
LAGM 2.022

:dna::dna:

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID request - Pan subb? [Re: UnderNose]
    #7287087 - 08/12/07 09:22 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I did look closely at at the two specimens, and I'm certain they are the same species - one was just all wrinkled up and older looking. It was the wrinkly looking one that dropped the best print, that really dark print on the plate.

Thanks for hunting down those pics, I'm almost certain they were Pan subbs. Only those four specimens popped up so not enough to sample though, so these ones were tipped back on the vegie patch to do what they do.

I did also bruise them and notice no noticeable blueing, although I am aware that this species rarely turns blue.

Pretty stoked to find something other than subaeruginosa as well, if they were in fact Pan subbs that is.

InvisibleUnderNose
all out of bubble gum
 User Gallery

#7287111 - 08/12/07 09:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

They look "similar" to the ones I got the pics of, that ring of colour on the cap, similar texture on the stem.

There are some more pics and basic ID info here.
Quote:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/safe-pik/p_subbalteatus.shtml
Panaeolus subbalteatus
(Red Caps)

CAP : Red brown to white when dry, conic to flat bands of colors
GILLS : Close, red gray to gray black, white edges
STEM : White to brown, hollow and stringy, no bluing
HABITAT : Rotted hay, compost piles and manure
SEASON : April through September
DOSAGE : 10 to 50 shrooms, 2 oz. wet, 2 ½ grams dry

Are you going to try and get those spores going somehow, bit of experimental fun?

Edited by UnderNose (08/12/07 09:39 AM)

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID request - Pan subb? [Re: UnderNose]
    #7287121 - 08/12/07 09:39 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Nope, didn't keep them unfortunately... :frown:

Invisibletryptonite
mushroom ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: aussie
    #7320486 - 08/22/07 02:35 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

nice finds otto. to me they look very much like pan subbs but of course that is a complete amatuer opinion I have never found subbs before. although I suspect I seen corpses at a horse field, the properties which were still observable were characteristic of a psilocybic mushroom - hollow stem, tough and fibrous tissue. but it was much too decayed to tell with any certainty so that was mostly speculation. your mushrooms very much resemble psilocbyic mushrooms especially the 4th pic with the robust and tidy looking stem and gills. they are definately a panaeolus though because of the black spore print and they are banded. in my amatuer opinion i'd say it's highly likely they are Panaeolus subbalteatus or fimicola which is another banded panaeolus (slighlty active) similair to subbs but not as robust which have been found in your state by a local fungi club. heres a link with a photograph http://www.fungiperth.org.au/fieldbook/fieldbook_pdfs/master1.pdf

--------------------

Entheogen Trade List

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Re: ID request - Pan subb? [Re: tryptonite]
    #7328589 - 08/24/07 03:22 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Wow I reckon you are right there tryptonite - I am agreeing with you on fimicola.

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
    #7328625 - 08/24/07 03:47 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

I thought they looked a bit off. definitely without a doubt a panaeolus but thats interesting that it might be fimicola. It wouldve been nice to see those spore prints checked out in a lab.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale