Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaberrant
Stranger

P. cubensis Lab Studies: E.R. Badham's Articles
    #7284705 - 08/11/07 02:04 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

The Mushroom Cultivator by Paul Stamets references E.R. Badham's Master's thesis. Back in '02/'03/'04 people had been citing Stamets' take on Badham's thesis, however it is not available on the internet (only through the Smithsonian Library - anybody have a library card?! Call # - QK617 .B13. You can request an electronic copy I think). I recently used the Badham article "THE EFFECT OF LIGHT UPON BASIDIOCARP INITIATION IN PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS" in my post on lighting ("LIGHT!", which can now be found here at the bottom of this "Getting Started" FAQ:
http://www.shroomery.org/5131/What-is-the-best-light-source-to-use 
(thanks again Anno).
I've managed to locate 4 articles that Badham wrote back in the 80's. They are all specifically on psilocybe cubensis (there's no way this guy wasn't eating these things; his career was initially built on this research pretty much). Note: please don't overinterpret or take his research as some sort of scientific absolute/objective truth just because it's a scientific paper. This research however, is pretty great to have access to since he goes over almost all aspects of growing psilocybe cubensis as you will see in the following list of articles.

I'll list the titles of the articles and they'll be followed by their abstracts. I would post them in TXT, but again, copyright can be an issue and it's just nicer to see the figures with some of his detailed illustrations (including the most advanced growing chamber I've ever seen - oh, how I wish I had grants to do research on psilly's. I'd be making the most kick-ass setup possible as well). I have all 4 articles in PDF. If you're interested just PM me or reply to the thread. All I ask in return are some nice ratings :smirk:

"THE EFFECT OF LIGHT UPON BASIDIOCARP INITIATION IN PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS." Mycologia. Vol. 72, No. 1. (Jan. - Feb., 1980), pp. 136-142.
Abstract: Formation of basidiocarp initials in Psilocibe cubensis occurred only when cultures were illuminated. Short durations of light (0.0025 sec of xenon-arc flash) were sufficient for initiation. Light-induced initiation was saturated at a dose of 0.345 x l04 ergs/cm2 at 460 nm. UV and blue wavelengths of 370, 440, and 460 nm were the most effective. Green and red wavelengths greater than 510 nm were ineffective.

"TROPISMS IN THE MUSHROOM PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS." Mycologia. Vol. 74, No. 2. (Mar. - Apr., 1982), pp. 275-279.
Abstract: The growth of the mushroom Psilocybe cubensis was studied in a wind tunnel under controlled conditions of wind velocity, humidity, temperature, and light. The basidiocarp stipe grew into the wind up to the time of spore formation. When rotated with the long axis of the stipe perpendicular to the wind, fruitbodies grew upright. When spores began to be formed a negative geotropic curvature of the stipe occurred but no recurvation occurred in a sporeless mutant.

"MODELING GROWTH, DEVELOPMENT, TRANSPIRATION AND TRANSLOCATION IN THE MUSHROOM PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS." Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. Vol. 111, No. 2. (Apr. - Jun., 1984), pp. 159-164.
Abstract: A method for studying the growth and development of individual basidiocarps of Psilocybe cubensis was developed. Measurements of living mushrooms were put into a computer program which modeled the basidiocarp after common geometric solids. Estimates of surface area and volume were determined. Both surface area and volume are highly correlated with dry weight. These estimates may be useful in measuring growth (non-destructively) and transpiration (water loss per surface area). Translocation of dry matter may also be studied by analysis of derived density values. The same measurements can also be used to describe developmental stage (and change in stage) based on the ratio of the cap size to the stipe size.

"THE INFLUENCE OF HUMIDITY UPON TRANSPIRATION AND GROWTH IN PSILOCYBE CUBENSIS." Mycologia. Vol. 77, No. 6. (Nov. - Dec., 1985), pp. 932-939.
Abstract:
The influence of humidity upon individual basidiocarps of of Psilocybe cubensis was studied using an environmentally controlled wind tunnel and a computer program which helped to model growth and development. Regression models were developed which were able to explain 77% of the variation in the transpiration rate and 68% of the variation in growth rate. Transpiration and growth of this mushroom were significantly correlated with the humidity of the air. The fastest growth and the lowest transpiration occurred at the highest humidities. No inhibition of growth was detected at 0 pascals VPD (lOO% RH). Misting accelerated growth and transpiration while light had no effect. Although humidity was a very important factor influencing transpiration and growth, the size and shape of the mushroom were also important in water relations. The final water content of basidiocarps with thin stipes or those with larger surface area-to-volume ratios was significantly lower that of thickstiped mushrooms or those with small surface area-to-volume ratios even when grown under equal humidity. Growth rates under conditions which promoted the highest levels of hydration of the basidiocarp were rapid (up to estimated 4% increase in dry weight per h).

Edited by aberrant (08/11/07 02:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: P. cubensis Lab Studies: E.R. Badham's Articles [Re: aberrant]
    #7284756 - 08/11/07 02:23 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

These look like some clearly written and useful articles. I'd like to have a look at them.

Could I ask where you got them in PDF form?

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offlineaberrant
Stranger

Re: P. cubensis Lab Studies: E.R. Badham's Articles [Re: exagram]
    #7284766 - 08/11/07 02:29 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

JSTOR. Fully accessible for people connected to a university network (VPN or on-campus) or those who actually have the money to pay for a subscription to this service. JSTOR is amazing - tons of information on everything. It's an archive of journal articles which aren't available many other places since they're more than 5 years old and some of the journals are now defunct, have merged with others or changed their titles.
Let me know if you'd like to look at the PDFs, obviously we will be able to arrange something quite easily.

Offlinefromga2wa
TRUSTED Mycolanthropist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Renton,WA
Re: P. cubensis Lab Studies: E.R. Badham's Articles [Re: aberrant]
    #14300811 - 04/16/11 01:02 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Bump

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale