Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Pressure cooker
    #72838 - 01/24/00 06:38 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Read the instructions First off- basicaly you have 4 parts- The actual pressure cooker, the lid, a stop cock, and a pressure gauge. Fill the pressure cooker with about a 1/2 inch of water,put your jars in, put the lid on (usually requires twisting the lid to lock it in place or tighting some clamps down, whatever your model requires) Put the stop cock on the steam outlet ( a little spout looking thing on the lid) and turn the heat up. Once you see the pressure start to rise to around 12psi, start backing the heat off until you hit 15 psi at which time you wan to adjust the heat so the pressure stays constant. In an emergency you can remove the stop cock from the steam spout on the lid- This will let the excess steam shoot out the top- BE VERY CAREFUL AS THE STEAM WILL BE VERY VERY HOT! I guess a burnt had is better than exploded pressure cooker though- Just watch it. If you start to get scared turn off the heat completely.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#72840 - 01/24/00 07:11 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Here is a link from the manufacure on how to use a pressure cooker
http://www.appliances.com/prestohowtouse.html

You can also go to
http://www.appliances.com/dept23.html and buy the best p. cooker available, All-American, they are pricey, but worth it. I use the 21.5 Qt. model and it is great.

------------------
-ChesterCopperpott-

OfflineBoomerZ
old hand
    #72841 - 01/24/00 08:09 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Could i use a slow-cooker or a crock-pot to sterilize them.....just throw em in there for 4 or 5 hours..or would it be a risky idea like boiling? Im missing the pressure regulator on my pressure cooker.

Anonymous

#72842 - 01/24/00 08:16 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Why don't you just call up (of find on the net) Mirro-Matic and get new part. It can't be that expensive.

Anonymous

#72843 - 01/25/00 09:16 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

IF the pressure cooker you have has not been used in a while, i would highly recommend getting a new gasket. Pressure cookers are wonderful if used correctly, but can be dangerous!

i would suggest buying a manual from the manufacturer

OfflineBoomerZ
old hand
    #72844 - 01/25/00 09:53 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I cant find a Mirro-Matic online store or deprtment, nothing. I dont know where to get a replacement part or instructions. Isnt the gasket the rubber ring? I hate ordering jars that are presterilzd cuz its just too much hassle. PLZ help. What bout using a slow cooker to sterilize?

OfflineAjent Orange
addict
    #72845 - 01/25/00 11:33 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I have the exact same problem! I dug my pressure cooker out of my pantry and i can't find the god damn stopper thing that goes on the steam outlet.

Anyways, Boomerz do you have a regular large pot? That will work too, but i would cook it for longer.

OfflineBoomerZ
old hand
    #72846 - 01/26/00 03:33 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I dont want to cook it in a pot....it seems too risky. How many of you ppl have just boiled them in a pot with success? What bout failures? How long did u cook em?

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #72847 - 01/27/00 11:08 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Hi BoomerZ
First off, what kind of substrate are you using? If you've got one that's brown rice flour, verm, and water...you can cook in a regular old pot. I do it all the time when I'm cooking that substrate.

One of, if not the only, reason why pressure cookers are used is becuase they cook at a higher temperature. Well, the only time you really need to do this is with rye, and you should do it with birdseed substrates too:-)

With a PF substrate you can simply cook them in a canning pot. Just make sure you don't have the water splashing all over the jars.

When I cook a batch of PF substrate I steam them. My jars don't even touch the water and my success rate has been 1 contam out of about 50.

If you want, drop me a private message and we can work on it together;-)

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals