Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Sterilization Un-Answered
    #7280294 - 08/10/07 02:55 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hello Shroomery,
I just want to say you have a amazing site here and I have all ready learned so much from your guides.. I have a order of B+ and PES Hawaiian spore syringes on the way.. But I have some questions about being sterile. I have a 2.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 cabinet like space with carpet on the base and the rest is surrounded by a ply-wood like material.. The area has no air flow unless I open the door.. I plan to put a plastic lid cover over the carpet and cover the wood with a plastic trash bag like material.. Now here comes the questions.. How should I clean the surfaces before I cover it? Does cigarette smoke contain anything to contaminate my babys? Any hints, suggestions or insults are welcome.. Also I know this question may have been confronted but I can not find the answer.. Is a black light a legit source of light for fruiting?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: Dephect]
    #7280311 - 08/10/07 03:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

>is a black light a legit source of light for fruiting?

Read http://www.shroomery.org/5131/What-is-the-best-light-source-to-use

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: Anno]
    #7280325 - 08/10/07 03:34 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Lysol spray works fine for cleaning surfaces. If you're covering them with plastic, it's not a big deal.

I think you may be over-thinking the sterility stuff, though. By all means, use good sterile procedure--lay some plastic over your work area, perhaps, and give it a little lysol spray. Gloves are nice. Generally speaking, though, if you heat your needle, have good inoculant (spore solution in this case I guess) and have well-prepared substrate, you're not going to run into many problems here. A lot of people start to imagine that inoculation is the most sensitive thing in the world, when most failures really come from other sources. Just do it in a clean place, and don't rub your fingers or face or genitals all over the needles and inoculation points, and you should be fine.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7280340 - 08/10/07 03:53 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I went a bit mental with my kitchen, i bleach cleaned everything twice before doing my first jar, though if u seen my kitchen before u would understand why, leave a dirty plate in there for 3 or 4 days and u would have some moulds u have probably never seen before growing.

Now that i used bleach solution on every surface. It takes much longer for things to grow. Now thats done i just keep my kitched clean as i use it, then next time i rack up a batch will just use lysol.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: veda_sticks]
    #7280348 - 08/10/07 04:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My first time, I went a little nuts. I wore the mask, wore almost-clean clothes (a lot, for me), gloves, alcohol spray bottle, saran wrap over the work area, the works. I did the same thing the second time but, you know, relaxed a little. By now, I honestly don't do much more than wash my hands, aside from the absolute necessities (wiping down inoculation points with an alcohol swab and flaming the needle). I even flame my needle on my gas stove, these days, and inoculate in my kitchen. No biggie.

--------------------

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7280664 - 08/10/07 08:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the reply.. Ultra Violet counts as black light right? The thing is its not a kitchen its a space under my bed and I have had a lot of old clothes in there and there is most likely covered in a unseen layer of dust and god knows what because of other items I have had in there.. I just dont really want contaminated mushrooms ya know? Im not too worried about the inoculation but could I inoculate some jars and move them to another area in the house?

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: Dephect]
    #7280673 - 08/10/07 08:51 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

oops im retarded, i hear PF grew with black lights, so yeah

http://www.fanaticus.com/albino2.htm

Edited by implee (08/10/07 09:19 AM)

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sterilization Un-Answered [Re: implee]
    #7280694 - 08/10/07 09:00 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I see.. I just have a 1 ft. fluorescent fixture.. from what I see 25 watts is fine. Those little booms would look amazing under a black light though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck