Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!!
    #7258577 - 08/04/07 09:32 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, if you are like me, your hunts generally take you miles from your car, and through thick underbrush. Unfortunately, chiggers love underbrush. These nasty little bugs also love to latch onto your skin and suck fluid from your body. They are damn near impossible to kill, and the bumps itch like crazy.

For years, i thought putting nail polish on them was the only way to kill them and get rid of them. Not anymore! My father hooked me up with a simple solution. 100% Australian Tea Tree Oil, FTW. Unlike nail polish, this shit works over night. I put it on the little bastards last night, and today, they don't itch at all. Just paint the bumps like you would with nail polish, and that's it. He says that they back out and die. I don't blame them, once you smell this shit you'll know why. That's the only downside, it does stink. But it absolutely works wonders. Anyway, thought i'd share the wealth. You can find this stuff at beauty boutiques and similar places, most commonly in nail polish bottles. Good luck, happy hunting!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #7258602 - 08/04/07 09:44 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the tree oil tip,Orb.a can of Off would possibly keep you from being assailed in the first place.doesn't stop bugs from flying in your eyeballs,though.jewelweed is a good natural reliever when rubbed on bug bites.

bugs dont really bother me for some reason,maybe I taste bad.:igor:

InvisibleInnominate
Male

Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: coon]
    #7258610 - 08/04/07 09:48 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Nail polish is a myth. Chiggers don't burrow under your skin and stay there, they bite and their bite causes a red bump to form and stay for a while. People think that chiggers burrow into your skin because it looks that when if you seem them biting you. They simply bite and detach, if you don't believe me search Google. The oil may help ease the bites, but that's all it's doing. Have you ever seen a chigger come OUT of your skin?

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7258611 - 08/04/07 09:48 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah deepwoods OFF will keep chiggers and ticks away, so always spray it around your ankles and shit. One or two always seem to find their way onto me though, and, in that instance, this works great. You are right tho, that shit never works for winged bugs, except MAYBE mosquitoes.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: Innominate]
    #7258614 - 08/04/07 09:50 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Oiy, they stay on you whilst they eat, and the oil makes the itching stop, and makes the bumps go away. This is from the wiki article i posted:

Quote:

Life cycle

Harvest mite larvae are small, tiny, irritating, red immatures between the egg and nymph stages, which have not yet become adult mites. They are usually microscopic. The larvae often live in berry patches, tall grass and weeds, woodland edges, pine straw, leaves, and treebark, or in typical habitats of their hosts (especially rodents).

The larval mites feed on the skin cells, but not blood, of animals, including humans. The six-legged parasitic larva feeds on a large variety of creatures including humans, rabbits, toads, box turtles, quail, and even some insects. After crawling onto their host, they inject digestive enzymes into the skin that break down skin cells. They do not actually "bite," but instead form a hole in the skin and chew up tiny parts of the inner skin, thus causing severe irritation and swelling. The severe itching is accompanied with red pimple-like bumps (papules) or hives and skin rash or lesion on a sun-exposed area. For humans, itching usually occurs after the larvae detach from the skin. Chiggers are known for never spreading from host to host.

After feeding on their hosts, the larvae drop to the ground and become nymphs, then mature into adults which have 8 legs and are harmless to humans. In the post larval stage, they are not parasitic and feed on plant materials. The females lay 3-8 eggs in a litter, usually on a leaf or under the roots of a plant, and die by autumn.

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
    #7258622 - 08/04/07 09:54 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

chiggers arent really a problem in my area,it's the ticks that are bad.DEET is a good repellant for those.:igor:

Edited by coon (08/04/07 04:57 PM)

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #7259706 - 08/04/07 04:31 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

We get horrible chiggers in Texas, and they'll last for weeks, I'll definitely try it sometime, and hope it works.

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: Acaterpillar]
    #7260616 - 08/04/07 09:35 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Never seen a chigger.. Ticks sometimes nail me, but mostly my problems are with mosquitoes.

Most bugs love to eat on me, it sucks.

Even bark beetles swarm me, but they don't bite.. i do not know why they like me. Maybe I smell like bark.

--------------------

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: CureCat]
    #7260636 - 08/04/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

you can't see chiggers... you'll know when you get 'em though.

itchy red spots all along your underwear elastic, socks, etc, and sometimes just in your "pits" (backs of knees, crotch...)

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: PinheadX]
    #7260640 - 08/04/07 09:42 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PinheadX said:
itchy red spots all along your underwear elastic

So you wear tighty whiteys?  :tongue:

--------------------

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: CureCat]
    #7260663 - 08/04/07 09:46 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

when I was a kid.

boxer briefs now baby...

but you'd get 'em along the waistline. Unless you go commando, then you just get 'em in your moist parts.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

Edited by PinheadX (08/04/07 09:47 PM)

OfflineLibertine
Tarzan...King of Mars
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: PinheadX]
    #7260731 - 08/04/07 10:06 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah it is more ticks in my area...and the Lyme Disease they carry.

Yeah Deep Woods Off works well with it's 98% DEET...as long as you don't mind spraying industrial strength insecticide on yourself. :eek: :tongue:

--------------------
A mind is a terrible thing to taste...hehehe.

Offlinelennongrace
I rock it oldschool.
Female

Loc: Georgia aka HELL
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: Libertine]
    #7299018 - 08/15/07 09:09 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I spray myself down totally naked first with OFF. Then I spray my clothes paying special attention to waist bands. and I spray myself as I go along as well.

--------------------
Let me show you my shroomz!
My shrooms. Let me show you dem.

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: lennongrace]
    #7299948 - 08/16/07 02:11 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

this has been the summer of chiggers for me... between tending to my fern patches and searching for fungus, Ive had chiggers for most of the year

--------------------

Offlineflamingcap
Hashassin
Male

Loc: Outside, taking your shro...
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: 2859558484]
    #7299961 - 08/16/07 02:33 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

they dont bother me too bad. it's ticks and scorpions here.

--------------------

"War doesn't determine who's right, only who's left."

Offlinenushroom
Knowledge Seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: H-Town Tx
    #7305914 - 08/17/07 07:49 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
Yeah deepwoods OFF will keep chiggers and ticks away, so always spray it around your ankles and shit. One or two always seem to find their way onto me though, and, in that instance, this works great. You are right tho, that shit never works for winged bugs, except MAYBE mosquitoes.

I use deep woods off and I still found a Tick on my leg. I think that it helps, but they may still attach.

Offlinelucian
Stranger

Loc: St Lucia W.I.
Re: Chiggers??? Forget the nail polish!!! [Re: nushroom]
    #7308166 - 08/18/07 04:51 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

It's a protein in the saliva ejected during feeding that makes you itch. Your body responds to it like any other itchy bug bite (mosquitoes, bee stings, etc....) by producing histamine. If you got em bad take a little benadryl or other antihistamine to stop the itching, then just wait. But if tea tree helps for you to relieve the symptoms go for it. Neem oil can be used as deterent, for those not liking to bath in chemicals, so can cintronella oil, rubbing scented geranium leaves, pretty much any natural pungent oil. Skin so Soft works too for some.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Original Sensible Seeds Shop: Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains