Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleelbisivni
Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law
    #7255123 - 08/03/07 11:41 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush said Friday that Congress must stay in session until it approves legislation modernizing a U.S. law governing eavesdropping on foreigners.

''So far the Democrats in Congress have not drafted a bill I can sign,'' Bush said at FBI headquarters, where he was meeting with counterterror and homeland security officials. ''We've worked hard and in good faith with the Democrats to find a solution, but we are not going to put our national security at risk. Time is short.''

The president, who has the power under the Constitution to keep Congress in session, said lawmakers cannot leave for their August recess this weekend as planned unless they ''pass a bill that will give our intelligence community the tools they need to protect the United States.''

Earlier Friday, the White House offered an eleventh-hour accord to Democrats in the negotiations over the matter, saying it would agree to a court review of its foreign intelligence activities instead of leaving certification up to the attorney general and director of national intelligence.

But it attached several conditions that could be unacceptable to Democrats: that the review would only be after-the-fact and would only involve the administration's general process of collecting the intelligence, not individual cases, said a senior administration official speaking on condition of anonymity to more freely discuss internal deliberations.

Bush said the administration offer is a ''a narrow and targeted piece of legislation that will close the gaps in intelligence.''

''This is what we need to do our job to protect the American people,'' the president said. ''It's the bare minimum.''

The two sides, however, still are far from striking a deal on what all agree needs to happen, and soon: an update of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

At issue is how the government would spy on foreign terror suspects overseas without invading Americans' privacy rights. Democrats want the special FISA Court to review the eavesdropping process to make sure the surveillance does not focus on communications that might be sent to and from Americans.

The law now generally requires court review of government surveillance of suspected terrorists in the United States. It does not specifically address the government's ability to intercept messages believed to come from suspects who are overseas, opening what the White House considers a significant gap in protecting against attacks by foreigners targeting the U.S.

Negotiations broke off shortly before midnight Thursday and resumed Friday morning.

In a statement late Thursday, National Intelligence Director Mike McConnell said he would agree to a review by the FISA court, but only after the surveillance had begun, not before as some Democrats are demanding.

''To acknowledge the interests of all, I could agree to a procedure that provides for court review -- after needed collection has begun -- of our procedures for gathering foreign intelligence through classified methods directed at foreigners located overseas,'' McConnell wrote.

''While I would strongly prefer not to engage in such a process, I am prepared to take these additional steps to keep the confidence of members of Congress and the American people that our processes have been subject to court review and approval,'' he wrote.

The FISA court review would happen 120 days after the surveillance began, another senior administration official said Friday. Until then, McConnell and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales would oversee and approve the process of targeting foreign terrorists, said the official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing negotiations.

The administration is demanding that this apply to monitoring of all foreign targets, no matter whether they end up communicating with another foreigner or someone in the U.S, and no matter whether they are a suspected terrorist or a target for some other reason, said the first official.

Democrats leery of Gonzales' involvement said that seemed far too long a period of time before the FISA court could step in.

Bush said that he would judge any bill sent to him by one measure alone: McConnell's judgment as to whether it provides ''what you need to prevent an attack on the country.''

''If the answer's `no,' I'm going to veto the bill,'' he said.

The urgent push to update FISA may stem from a recent ruling by the court that oversees it, according to remarks earlier this week by House Republican Leader John Boehner during an interview with Fox News.

''There's been a ruling, over the last four or five months, that prohibits the ability of our intelligence services and our counterintelligence people from listening in to two terrorists in other parts of the world where the communication could come through the United States,'' said Boehner, going further that most officials have in explaining the pressing need for change.

Talk of keeping Congress in session is premature for now, said White House spokeswoman Dana Perino, who noted a bipartisan consensus that something needs to be done and the availability of less-drastic legislative manuevers.

''We cannot imagine that Congress would leave without fixing the problem,'' she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Terrorism-Surveillance.html?ex=1343793600&en=847f1a6ec0ab8286&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law [Re: elbisivni]
    #7255201 - 08/03/07 12:09 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

first of all..theres NFW to stop this bill from passing as long as king george has the time-tested method of sleep deprivation at his disposal...second of all..i should remind the audience that any criminal or terrorist worth his/her salt will automatically assume that their phones are being tapped...KG is going after more naive targets who dont believe that they have a reason to watch what they say...third of all..i would strongly recommend that you hang up the phone and use encrypted text-based communications instead...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
    #7255347 - 08/03/07 12:46 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

elbisivni said:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Bush said Friday that Congress must stay in session until it approves legislation modernizing a U.S. law governing eavesdropping on foreigners.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Terrorism-Surveillance.html?ex=1343793600&en=847f1a6ec0ab8286&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Huh... I thought congress was a different branch of government immune from the President... I learn something new every day. If they must do what the president wants, why even have a congress? Kind of makes it pointless wouldn't you say?

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Re: Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7255918 - 08/03/07 03:04 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

why even have a congress?

for the same reason the soviet union had a congress...

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #7257850 - 08/04/07 12:12 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineStrandedVoyager
The People's Champ
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (202)-456-1414 Call Me
Re: Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law [Re: California]
    #7257946 - 08/04/07 01:14 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Lol this country is so fucking stupid. I don't even care any more, it's all just turning into a source of entertainment for me.

--------------------
Hi  :scrambled:

My god... it's full of stars...

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Re: Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #7257997 - 08/04/07 01:46 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

pushing aside the question of checks & balances altogether..do you believe alberto gonzales when he says that anyone hes' spying on is a [bona fide] terrorist??...i would sooner take baron munchhausens' word for it than gonzos'.. who..BTW..was under investigation for perjury a couple of days ago...his excuse ..he "might have used confusing language"...and if you think thats pathetic..the senate democrats not only bought it but decided to give gonzo blanket power to intercept our communications to boot...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: Bush Pushes for Surveillance Law [Re: California]
    #7258267 - 08/04/07 05:05 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Oregon said:
The Senate approved.

yeah :rolleyes: that'll be the da...wait, they did?

it's too early and I'm too hung over to be performing the head-desk maneuver, but it was inevitable after hearing this sorry bit of news

at least I can find solace in the fact that any American knowledgeable of this event, myself included, will soon forget about this thunderbolt of fascist empowerment and go back to looking at the whole of the ever-expanding shit-storm that is to become our countries modern history and perhaps one of its final, or at least darkest, chapters.

I'm sure Senate members won't be too bothered by their 'forced decision', I mean what were they supposed to do?  they had vacation to think about..

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

Edited by elbisivni (08/04/07 05:12 AM)

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #7258349 - 08/04/07 06:36 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This may wreck some foreign relations...

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

#7258800 - 08/04/07 11:03 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for posting this. I feel safer now.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder