Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesuave
Stranger
Experts/Masters help me out plz
    #7246849 - 08/01/07 09:10 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, i'm a first time grower and I just finished inoculating the jars. I used perlite mixed with rye mixed with brown sugar ( dextrose ) for the mycelium to consume. I put them into 10 half pint jars.

After mixing and putting the stuffin in the jars, I then put the jars in a large pot with water halfway up the jars and went on to boil at medium heat for just over an hour to kill any contaminents up to that point. I have let it sit over night to cool down to room temperature. Now I kinda skipped making a spore print and then scraping the spores into the jars by just putting the whole cap in on top of the substrate. I'm seeing if this will yield a faster crop, simply experimental as with the brown sugar. I then put the two holes on the top with the coffee filter on top. Duct tape to seal it, and into the dark closet they go for the next two weeks.

Now my first question is where i can get the gel capsules for consumption once i dry the mushrooms i have from a hunt the other day. Do they sell them at wal-mart? Can i just "unscrew" the capsules from some other brand like a vitamin C capsule, dump the Vitamin C out, and then add the psilocin, then put back together?

My second question is if it's ok to trip more then once a week as long as i keep the dosage low ( yes i'm very very healthy attending the gym sometimes twice a day )

My third question is that after i had boiled the substrate to rid it of contaminents, i woke up this morning and the substrate was much harder and no longer could i flop it around inside the jar. I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem when i go to dump the cakes out onto the trays.

THANKS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecheor
Psyconaught
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: AB Flag
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: suave]
    #7246853 - 08/01/07 09:11 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

brown sugars isnt dextrose.... dextrose is a corn sugar and its white...

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: cheor]
    #7246865 - 08/01/07 09:16 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

alright maybe i messed that part up then. I read on a site that adding honey adds dextrose yielding up to 25% more crops. I had no honey but dextrose is found in sugar and i was in a hurry..... Anyhow

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7246966 - 08/01/07 10:02 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

This has to be a joke, right?

If so it's pretty funny. If not, :slitwrist:

OfflineTalimor
Fungi Fanatic
Male User Gallery

#7246974 - 08/01/07 10:06 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

As a first time grower I would highly recommend using the PFtek. It's hard to mess up and still produces generous yields. Since you're using perlite instead of vermiculite I'm going to assume you're NOT doing the PFtek. Anyways, I believe that simply putting in a mushroom cap into your jars isn't going to colonize them. I've only got one grow under my belt personally, but I'm pretty sure that without any base myc you're not going to get a colonized jar. Spore syringes, prints, or LC (liquid cultures) would of been best. If you're mushroom cap was dried then I can say with 100% certainty that you will not get colonization. From the information you've given us and no pictures, it's hard to answer some of these questions...

As to the tripping question, you can trip as often as you like in all honesty. There are a lot of factors when it comes to the short and long term effects. Diet, health, hydration and other factors all come into play. Plus, some things are just different from one person to the next. A downside would be that if you continued to trip weekly you would build up a tolerance, as with any altering substance.

Another issue you have to be careful about are flashbacks. Flashbacks are images or alterations seen when tripping that cross into your sober reality. I have not personally experienced one, but I do know people that have. If you trip constantly, you will experience one as well. Sometimes they will be very subtle, almost invisible. They usually surface when your just waking up from sleeping or when you close your eyes for more than a couple minutes. Be careful. You can tell when the shrooms are taking a toll on your mind.

Offlinesproket13
Stranger
Male

Loc: FL
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: Talimor]
    #7246980 - 08/01/07 10:08 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

sounds like everything was done wrong :crazy2:

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#7246983 - 08/01/07 10:10 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

sounds like everything was done wrong :crazy2:

--------------------

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: simplemachine]
    #7247003 - 08/01/07 10:19 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Is karo dextrose?

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #7247033 - 08/01/07 10:27 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

the shrooms are wet and just picked. I don't see whats the difference between putting a wet cap on top of the substrate and having the spores fall out on top of it, rather then having the spores fall on an index card and then scraping them off into the jars. Either way, the spores still fall out.

I can understand that perhaps contaminents could be on the cap itself and once again this is just an experiment. Why would you need pictures anyhow though? they are jars with substrate in them. Vermiculate wasn't available so i substituted with perlite.

Again these 10 jars are merely an experiment and i'll be doing the PF tek with my other 10 jars.

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
    #7247036 - 08/01/07 10:28 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

You really should have read more. Then you would know that rye has to be pressure cooked, not steamed. You don't have to be an expert to know that.

My guess is that little bit of mushroom will rot in the jars, yuck!

--------------------

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: mushbaby]
    #7247058 - 08/01/07 10:32 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Point taken about the rotting. Although the caps i put in are barely the size of a quarter so it's not like it would be all messy. I'm going to leave 2 of the jars just to see if anything does happen wether it gets contaminated or just nothing at all.

As for the other 8 i'll re-do everything with a spore sprint this time around.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#7247065 - 08/01/07 10:34 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I can understand that perhaps contaminents could be on the cap itself

Bingo!

Quote:

Vermiculate wasn't available so i substituted with perlite.

First...You don't use vermiculite with whole grains like rye and WBS. Second, perlite and verm are not similar and cannot be substituted for each other. Third, boiling whole grain jars for an hour is insufficient to sterilize the grains, and will result in a jar full of bacteria.

--------------------

OfflineTalimor
Fungi Fanatic
Male User Gallery

Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: mushbaby]
    #7247076 - 08/01/07 10:36 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I would scrap your "experiment".

Pictures help cause I'm a visual learner :P

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: simplemachine]
    #7247091 - 08/01/07 10:39 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Ok then i was informed wrong from another site then.

I wasn't using vermiculate at all. I was using perlite mixed with organically produced brown rye flour. This will not work then?

If boiling the jars for an hour is insufficient, then what must be done to be sterilized?

Guess i might as well ask what effective mixes there are while i'm on the topic.

Edited by suave (08/01/07 10:40 AM)

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #7247095 - 08/01/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Your experiment doesn't stand a chance . You did just about everything wrong . That's why there are TEK's . Next time , pick one , and at least follow part of it , lol;)

Oh , and there is NO OTHER site than the Shroomery:thumbup: At least none worth a damn:grin:

In the future , if you want to try Rye in a PF type jar , grind it into a powder first and your chances of success will be greatly increased .:thumbup:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: HippieChick]
    #7247100 - 08/01/07 10:41 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #7247108 - 08/01/07 10:44 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

suave said:
I followed this "TEK" http://www.shroomwizard.com/growguide.html

Well , that explains it right there , lol .:grin:

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
    #7247115 - 08/01/07 10:46 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Uhm, no you didn't. I don't see anything on that site about putting perlite and rye and brown sugar together as a substrate, nor about putting caps on the top to act as the inoculation medium. Anyway, why would you follow that poor mans PF Tek?

This is the best image he could come up with for his FC? Looks like a sick flush right there... :rofl:

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
    #7247116 - 08/01/07 10:46 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Perlite + BRF might work. Probably not, but maybe. Putting a cap in to the jar isn't going to do it though, too much contamination.

Here's my advice: start over.
If you don't have or want to get a pressure cooker, you need to use the PF Tek, or one of its variants to make cakes. If you do have a pressure cooker, I recommend grains. I've had great success with Wild Bird Seed, but rye is even better if you can get it.

Read the Cultivation info starting here:
http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

Make a list of what you need and what you have to see which will work best for you.

Edit- it's possible to use 'tyndallization' to sterilize grains, but it's a lot of work. Use a PC. :thumbup:

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Edited by Dr_T (08/01/07 10:47 AM)

Offlinesuave
Stranger
Re: Experts/Masters help me out plz [Re: HippieChick]
    #7247118 - 08/01/07 10:46 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

He's been growing for 36 years, has two rooms full of all sorts of different strains, not to mention every crippy plant from mango to so on that you can think of. He must know his shit, it's Me who messed it up.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules