Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemhuse1310
Stranger
Help with ID *DELETED*
    #7243145 - 07/31/07 10:04 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by mhuse1310

Reason for deletion: no longer member of site want to delete account and all posts

Edited by mhuse1310 (07/31/07 10:08 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Help with ID [Re: mhuse1310]
    #7243248 - 07/31/07 10:39 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

It is an Amanita, but not a muscaria of any type, sorry. Did it turn red at all anywhere where you handled or cut it? If so it might be the blusher, Amanita rubescens. Coincidentally, georgeM's nickname in highschool and later was also the blusher.

Offlinemaffew
Superman

#7243253 - 07/31/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I'm no expert hunter, but I do know quite a bit about A. Muscaria (particularly var. Formosa, or Guessowii since we're in the eastern U.S.). I live in southern new england also, and I plan on hunting A. Muscarias this year.

When you're looking for A. Muscaria (var. Guessowii), you should be looking for some key things... First of all, the colors on your mushroom are all off. Guessowii is yellow-yellowish/orange. It has a perfectly white stalk and gills and a white spore print (I'm not sure what color yours was). There will be white conecentric flakes of the universal veil on the cap, although these can wash off (the ones on your cap dont appear to be white). One of the key factors when looking for A. Muscaria (any variety, I believe) is a group of conecentric rings at the bulbous base of the mushroom. They tend to be kinda "shaggy" looking up to the veil, although this is not always the case. Its also a little early, I believe, to be finding A. Muscaria (I'm not saying that its not possible for them to be growing in your area at this time, just that its highly unlikely and that if they are, you're probably not too likely to find them without lots and lots of hard work :sad:). What kind of trees where they growing near/under, what color is the spore print, etc.

Sorry you didnt find what you were lookin for. Try looking in mid-late august till about halloween-ish (sometimes a little longer, I think). The ones you get earlier in the season will most likely be more potent, but just be sure you know 100% for sure what you've found, because there are deadly amanitas out there. Make sure you do lots of research beforehand and also get your suspected A. Muscaria finds ID'd by some of the experienced people on this site... theres lots of them and they're all really friendly.

Better luck next time. Keep hunting. :rasta:

--------------------
"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."
-X

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Help with ID [Re: maffew]
    #7243258 - 07/31/07 10:42 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Good advice. I'm not sure it's too early though, lots and lots of Amanitas up throughout the US right now.

Offlinemhuse1310
Stranger
Re: Help with ID *DELETED* [Re: maffew]
    #7243282 - 07/31/07 10:49 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by mhuse1310

Reason for deletion: deleting all posts

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #7243458 - 07/31/07 11:35 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

that look like amanita rubescens, cause the dot in the cap the red stain where is damage like in the base, the type of volva that is not reallly a volva, but a bulb at the base ,but could be sometingh else but that type of volva only rubesces complex have it , all my best

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

Offlinemaffew
Superman

Re: Help with ID [Re: xmush]
    #7243563 - 07/31/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xmush said:
Good advice. I'm not sure it's too early though, lots and lots of Amanitas up throughout the US right now.

Hm... I have noticed many amanitas too. From what I've read, though, it is much more common to find A. Flavaconia in mid july-early august than it is to find A. Muscaria var. Guessowii.. and to an untrained eye they can VERY easily be confused. so I was just throwing that in as a precautionary measure because Flavaconia, if I'm not mistaken, should not be eaten.

--------------------
"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."
-X

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract