Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinealchino23
Titillating TheMind
Male User Gallery

Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white
    #7240443 - 07/30/07 04:06 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

hi there peeps

My spores that I was keeping the fridge looks like there growing white stuff around of the spores in the water, what is it and what can be done about it. Is this the spores trying to grow? If so how long can I keep them in the jar of water in the fridge becouse im not ready to use it . . . thanks

--------------------
Allan Kardec -(EN) The Spirits Book .PDF
- - - - - - D-o-w-n-l-o-a-d- - - - - - - -
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/7293403/an/0/page/1

Edited by alchino23 (07/30/07 04:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreetospeak
Hektic
Male

Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: alchino23]
    #7240576 - 07/30/07 05:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

i dont think mushrooms will growout of your syringe.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: Freetospeak]
    #7240752 - 07/30/07 06:13 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Uh, well you're free to speak, but that's not what he was asking.

Alchino, that means your spores are germinating. It's not a problem at all, and in fact it's preferable, and may give them a few days' head start once you inoculate them. Live mycelium in plain water will stay viable for months and months, even years.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7241232 - 07/30/07 08:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Typically this is because some nutritious matter got into the mix. This isn't all that uncommon in partially used syringes because people don't always expel the right way and some of the nutritious BRF mix or grain matter works it's way up the needle.

As ff stated, baring dormant contams, the live mycelium will go into stasis for a fairly extended period of time... for longer lived preservation techniques, I'll look up "master slants" in the archives...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7241262 - 07/30/07 08:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

figgusfiddus said:

Live mycelium in plain water will stay viable for months and months, even years.

Live mycelium in sterile water...

I know of someone that had some for well over 20 years.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: mycocurious]
    #7241538 - 07/30/07 10:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
Typically this is because some nutritious matter got into the mix. This isn't all that uncommon in partially used syringes because people don't always expel the right way and some of the nutritious BRF mix or grain matter works it's way up the needle.

I don't know, I theorized about that too, once. I wouldn't put it past some spores to germinate in water that wasn't nutritious at all; the mechanism for sensing the nutrients present in the surrounding water probably isn't very complex or accurate. I don't see how a spore, which is dormant by nature and design, is likely to have a reliable mechanism for determining the presence of saccharides. Probably it's something very basic, having to do with osmotic pressure "telling" the spore that a high concentration of external solutes is present. Those solutes could be nutritious, or they could be mineral, so maybe water with a high mineral content (like some tap) could trick spores into germinating without the presence of nutritious material, especially if they were suspended in it for a really long time. I dunno, just a guess.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/30/07 10:15 PM)

Offlinealchino23
Titillating TheMind
Male User Gallery

#7242475 - 07/31/07 05:07 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Wow you guys rock. P.S The water was cleen and the Spores was from a print I scrached in to a jar with a hold in the lid, I Sterolized the water and injected it in to the jar via hole in the lid, Its been about 3 weeks in the water and fridge.

So in theroy if I keep topping up the jar after each syringe with water I can use it foever or very very long, The jar should regenarate

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: alchino23]
    #7242913 - 07/31/07 08:30 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Ehh, more or less.

It's pure water, so they're not going to be doing a lot of growing. If it were an LC, it would regenerate indefinitely.

As it is, topping it off with more water will probably just dilute your spore solution.

--------------------

Offlinealchino23
Titillating TheMind
Male User Gallery

#7243251 - 07/31/07 10:40 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

ok ill just shoot that jar up and keep refilling it to a modarate amount to stretch it out. The Next jar I make ill Sterolize it with a drop of hunny in to it with the lid on loose with minaral water as the uk tap water has clorine. I have Royal Hunny Here do you think that would be any good to use for LC

--------------------

Edited by alchino23 (07/31/07 10:42 AM)

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7243553 - 07/31/07 12:03 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Just keep in mind that, as with all things, senility will eventually set in and the colony in the LC will eventually decline... granted, it's a fairly extended period, but I don't know about "indefinitely".

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Why are the Spores In a jar of water in the fridge are turing white [Re: mycocurious]
    #7244045 - 07/31/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I have seen mycelliem be noticibly weaker after only like the 4th "Generation" when using one lc to make more and so on.../

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale