Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process
    #7225050 - 07/26/07 03:45 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

i had some beautiful b+'s drying, i stupidly ignored the fan and desiccant recommendations and the fruits were rather thick, espescially at the base... i had them on racks in drawrs and they sat for a week to two depending on when they were picked...now i noticed they still wern't dry and had a bad feeling so i cut open some of the fattest based ones and got a foul smell, noticed excessive bluing and also a yellowish brownish greyish mottled look to the fiber, seems to be decay like ;( now i searched high and dry and only said to look out for black rot when drying no black rot or wet slimyness, but a definite nasty smell and somewhat nasty look, i would upload pics but my cam is so crappy they would offer little to no clarity, could anyone tell me if this is normal of drying?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: ancientsoul]
    #7225116 - 07/26/07 04:54 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Could be rotting if they have been sitting there that long.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado
Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7225161 - 07/26/07 05:37 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds nasty.

You want air moving over them, having them in a drawer isn't going to do it. Spread them out in front of a fan. It's unlikely you can get the smelly part dried and edible, but you probably could cut that part away and dry the rest.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: Dr_T]
    #7225220 - 07/26/07 06:17 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #7225223 - 07/26/07 06:19 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

a couple pics there what do you guys think, they are pretty much dry now but a definite foul smell from the inside of those stems, still humidity in there most likely the reason i have a fan on them now but i don't know if it is going to make a diff what really is the safeness on consuming those by those pics, any opinions?

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7226878 - 07/26/07 02:22 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Looks pretty normal to me other than you said they smell.That would seem to indicate rotting and i wouldnt eat it since i wouldnt eat rotting food anyway lol.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7226907 - 07/26/07 02:31 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

It looks totally normal. Is this foul smell you're talking about sour or is it earthy. Smell some of the other mushies that you think are doing okay.

Invisibleryanwgrad
MycoFanatic
Male User Gallery

Loc: New York
Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: Mankey]
    #7226925 - 07/26/07 02:38 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ancientsoul said:
i had some beautiful b+'s drying, i stupidly ignored the fan and desiccant recommendations and the fruits were rather thick, espescially at the base... i had them on racks in drawrs and they sat for a week to two depending on when they were picked...now i noticed they still wern't dry and had a bad feeling so i cut open some of the fattest based ones and got a foul smell, noticed excessive bluing and also a yellowish brownish greyish mottled look to the fiber, seems to be decay like ;( now i searched high and dry and only said to look out for black rot when drying no black rot or wet slimyness, but a definite nasty smell and somewhat nasty look, i would upload pics but my cam is so crappy they would offer little to no clarity, could anyone tell me if this is normal of drying?

A week or two? My god man. Even on a fan that costs $5-$10 tops it will be cracker dry in 4-6 days. A food dehydrator for $20-$50 takes about a day. Or even in a extra quart canning jar with desiccant ($5 for a ton) in the bottom it will be cracker dry in 5-7 days tops. Might want to invest. You got lucky this time it seems but I wouldn't let them sit wet for over a week. There's just no need when there are such cheap an easy alternatives and you risk rotting leaving them like that.

Edited by ryanwgrad (07/26/07 02:38 PM)

InvisibleMankey
Male

Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: ryanwgrad]
    #7226934 - 07/26/07 02:40 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

blech.... i wish more people would host their pics on the shroomery. waiting for imageshack to load is bothersome.

Offlinexeallos
Sore wa himitsudesu!
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Woods of a Thousand Y...
Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: Mankey]
    #7227032 - 07/26/07 03:08 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Personally I don't think they look very good, and any foul smell is generally an indication of present bacteria...

Would you buy portobella caps from the store and leave them in a drawer for a week before you ate them? I think you'd find them to be similarly rotted by the time you got around to them...

Worse comes to worse you could dry them properly and see if they make you sick, but I wouldn't bother personally... nor would I use anyone else as a guinea pig, that's just mean!

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: xeallos]
    #7227160 - 07/26/07 03:47 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

That's bluing, not rot.

Yeesh.

Unless they've acquired visible mold, you shouldn't be worrying about discoloration. All will be well.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/26/07 03:49 PM)

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: xeallos]
    #7227169 - 07/26/07 03:50 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xeallos said:
Personally I don't think they look very good, and any foul smell is generally an indication of present bacteria...

No, a foul smell is an indication that you've grown cubensis.

Now, a sour smell is another matter... but I've seen cubensis get mold when dried improperly, and the odor doesn't change one iota. Bacteria are different, but you'd see a slick with those, and some decomposition (blackening) of the material. What he's smelling is probably just natural cube funk, perhaps a little intensified by the internal moisture.

Odds are, this guy is freaking over nothing. Look at the pictures before you tell him to throw away his mushrooms. Rot looks completely different.

To be honest, if you did put a portobella in open air for a week, it probably wouldn't rot, unless you live in some ridiculously high-humidity environment. I know, I have filthy habits--almost any food like that will dry rather than go bad, so long as you leave it in open air. Mold doesn't like the open air, generally, and something that's 92% water will quickly desiccate in an environment with average RH.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/26/07 03:55 PM)

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: help needed i think i have stem rot in drying process [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7231036 - 07/27/07 03:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

picture i know is hard to see, and one of them is not up anymore, but base of most stems is inturnally yellow!  not white like all yellow, and yeah it is a sour smell, like gone by food or something, man still just torn on whether to toss them or eat them but i honestly don't think i am gonna eat them, the smell was stinkin up my whole room when i finally got them in a dehydrator, initially i didn't want to do so cuz it runs at like 160 i figured it would hurt the potency but i wish i did, pics are definitely kind of not clear though i would see where it would be hard to see what i mean but it looks like a yellow bacteria that is especially in the thick bases and stems, i think most of the skinnier ones are ok though, yeah i live in a pretty humid place too, not the best to be tryin to air dry so go ahead people tell me i'm a moron i can handle it :wink:

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7231076 - 07/27/07 04:05 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Can you just cut off the rotted part, and dry the rest? Shame to lose the whole harvest if you don't have to.

--------------------
Roger Rabbit said: Growing mushrooms is part art, and part science, but it's not magic.

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7231119 - 07/27/07 04:12 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

infortunately no, the yellow is present in the base visually but seems to travel all the way up the stem and even into the fibers of the caps when i break them open and smell them, and i think that the inside flesh of the cap is even discolered yellowish...i know, i was some seriously nice fruits, my best grow yet i am extremely dissapointed but it is throughout the mushies, if not visible the smell comes out wherever you break the flesh, and yeah the dehyradtor full is seriously stinkin up my room lol, bad! it is definitely not the cube smell somethin evil is in those mushrooms ;(

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7231135 - 07/27/07 04:15 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

[image][/image]

Offlineancientsoul
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7231143 - 07/27/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

[image][/image]

sorry this is the pic

OfflineDr_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7231356 - 07/27/07 05:14 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ancientsoul said:
it is definitely not the cube smell somethin evil is in those mushrooms ;(

Toss 'em. It's not worth it. Throw them out and start over.

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7233976 - 07/28/07 02:58 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

160F isn't ideal, but it's not going to hurt potency all that much. Try it and see--you'll swear it barely matters.

Really, I think most of the oxidation that happens during drying is going to happen whether or not heat is applied--constant air contact oxidizes actives, too, which is why you see bluing when fruits dry. People freak out about heat--naturally, don't put them in an oven, but don't stress over dehydrator temps either. Leave the vents open on the dehydrator, if yours has vents.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract