Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYaMon
Stranger
 User Gallery
Some ID's from Maine
    #7202208 - 07/20/07 11:49 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hey guys, this is my first post. I'm from Maine, the central area, (Turner...where that mutated animal was found dead a while ago, if any of you remember).

I've been hunting around here for a while, as I'm surrounded by cow pastures and tons of woods, but the weather hasn't been right. Today though, things changed. I know these pics aren't the best, by ANY means and there's not a ton of info given, but I was just curious as to what these are. These have all been growing just over the past day or so....

The one above is just a fat bulbous one, no stem at all really.

This next one was being eaten by a slug, but is all yellow. I wouldn't eat it now, it looked like sculpted snot.

There's a group of logs chillin' behind the house, these were growing on several of them-

Then lastly, these little tiny things ALL over the backyard....impossible to get a good pic, EVERYTHING would focus except the shrooms...

They are all white right now and VEEERY small.

I've also got some big white ones that I collected in the same area, pretty much all white with a little tan on the top, getting a print of that now....then I found another next to a bunch of old cow shit covered with hay, very small curving stem, brown underneath and pretty light on top, making a spore now as well.

Again, I know it's not much info on the above, but any info would be great. I'm really just curious what they are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Loc: la madre Gaia
Re: Some ID's from Maine [Re: YaMon]
    #7202263 - 07/20/07 12:04 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hey friend,

I can't help you our with your ideas, but I can give you some tips...

I don't know if you're seeking edibles, actives, or nothing at all and just hunting.

If you're looking for actives though, your best bet are some horse pastures or stables.

I've picked over an ounce (dry) of Pan. subbs. at a nearby horse farm (Dexter, Maine, about 45 minuts from bangor). There's a couple large patches that are continuously fruiting after every rain. The best one's come right off the piles shoveled out the back of the horse stables, and a few smaller patches around the pasture. I'm going to check on them today after the heavy rain we've been getting. I'm surprised at how many I've been harvesting, since many places say only a dose or two are usually found in one area. These ones aren't all that potent... it takes about double the dose of these to match that of typical cubensis mushrooms. So if 1.5 g. cubensis is thresh-hold for you, then 3 grams would be neccessary for the same effects. Doesn't mean you might not find one's more potent. None of mine have been bluing, and I think it's due to the potency... I've heard of some profusly bruising though, just haven't seen it yet. Maybe a warmer climate is neccessary.

I've never had luck finding P. caerulipes in ME, but can't say it's impossible. Never found any gymno's either, but doubt I'd eat them if I did. Amanitas should be coming out soon, at least the small early singular ones (the most potent)... towards the fall they'll start sprouting in patches and faery rings and be much larger... you're bound to find some if you hunt diligently (coniferous forests, or mixed coniferous and hardwood (excluding cedar)). I've also heard of a few reports of Liberty Caps being found in Maine. I've never really searched any cow pastures or fields for these, but it might be worth a shot.

As for the Subbs, you're bound to find some. Go and find some stables!! Good luck.

Invisiblekoraks
    #7202271 - 07/20/07 12:08 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery!

#1 looks immature; let it mature somewhat to see what happens. It could also be a puffball, but my guess it's actually a normal gilled mushroom. Perhaps something psathyrella-like or so. Impossible to tell for sure.

#2 the photo is shot at a somewhat confusing angle. At first glance, I'd say it's a russula species, but it looks like the stem is sticky and yellow. That would rule out russula as a possible genus. Really hard to tell without seeing the gills and additional information.

#3 is a common shelf fungus, possibly trametes, possibly some other genus. Nice to look at and some species of polypores are said to have anti-carcinogenic properties.

The last mushroom is absolutely impossible to ID due to the lack of a decent photograph and description.

Try to provide more elaborate descriptions and better photographs (include gillshots). There's a sticky on top of this forum that points out what sort of information that is needed for mushroom identification.

OfflineYaMon
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #7202488 - 07/20/07 01:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys...

I'm really curious about all mushrooms I can find. I don't really eat edible ones, I'll give them a try, but not in general. I've only had the magic ones several times and enjoyed them thoroughly, being here in nature land, I figured I'd take advantage of what I had around me.

I just found some really great trails through some woods and found lots of big mushies here and there. Need to get a better camera for better details.

After this rain, I'm really anxious for the next few days...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures