Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
I need a book to read
    #7192552 - 07/18/07 12:19 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I really don't know what to read though, I've never read any F Scott Fitzgerald so I am kind of wanting to check that out but then I am also compelled to read something a little mor contemporary. The most contemporary piece of literature I have read lately is American Psycho. I really want to read something, but not just some bullshit piece of shit, something that is worthy of the canon, so help me out with picking something please.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenightkrawler
explorer
Male

Loc: new england
Re: I need a book to read [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #7192557 - 07/18/07 12:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

stranger in a strange land by robert a heinlein, if you havent already read it. one of my favorites

--------------------

Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #7192558 - 07/18/07 12:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinedanno859
Droog
Male

Re: I need a book to read [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7192562 - 07/18/07 12:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Anything by Irvine Welsh or Chuck Palahniuk

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7192567 - 07/18/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I just finished Dune. Awesome read!

Male

#7192568 - 07/18/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

#7192573 - 07/18/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

"The Men Who Stare at Goats" by Jon Ronson

it's mad, even if u don't believeit, it's still a NUTS read.

It's basically about the American government's investigation into black magic/dark arts to further their military training program. it's very convincing with photographs of torture methods n whatnot... PM me for further info

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: I need a book to read [Re: indica]
    #7192579 - 07/18/07 12:26 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Foreskin, I find your titles intriguing..can you give me a little more info on some of those titles?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7192584 - 07/18/07 12:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Don't know how to use Google?

Offlinedanno859
Droog
Male

Re: I need a book to read [Re: indica]
    #7192587 - 07/18/07 12:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, Animal Farm by George Orwell, Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: I need a book to read [Re: danno859]
    #7192593 - 07/18/07 12:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

A Clockwork Orange, that might be interesting.

killme, I'm not sure what your problem is but fuck off

--------------------

Male

#7192596 - 07/18/07 12:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is a novel written in a 1984/Brave New World kind of vein in that it projects into a possible future for humankind. But rather than being about political ramifications it's about a future in which scientific stem cell research has gone buckwild. It's written from the perspective of a man who may be the last unaltered human being on the face of the earth...it was the best, most surprising book I've read in a long time.

A Prayer for Owen Meany takes place in New England during the 1950's and 1960's. It's about a dimunitive little boy named Owen Meany, written from the perspective of his friend John...I don't quite know how to describe it except as an epic American novel. One of the greats, in my eyes. Has a bunch to do with Jesus/religion, if you an stomach that kind of thing. Makes me laugh out loud here and there.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a novel by Haruki Murakami, one of Japan's most heralded fiction writers. He writes very supernatural, strange novels, where it's not all that weird to have someone walk through a door and enter into a parallel dimension, only to return back to "normal" reality a bit later...this book stretches across a couple of time periods, one during World War II on the border between Mongolia and China if I remember correctly and the other modern-day Japan when a man's wife leaves him and he encounters some very strange characters..

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7192598 - 07/18/07 12:30 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, just a simple question bud. No harmful intent involved. I hope you have a pleasant day :smile:.

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7192604 - 07/18/07 12:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

danno859 said:
Notes from the Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I love Dostoevsky.....painful reading at time, but very rewarding. It took me forever to read The Brothers Karamazov but I am glad that I stuck with it.

Offlinedanno859
Droog
Male

Re: I need a book to read [Re: Deadmaker]
    #7192606 - 07/18/07 12:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

That's a good way to put it.."painful reading" I'm gonna use that next time someone asks me what Notes from the Underground is like

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#7192621 - 07/18/07 12:36 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks man. Have you read any other John Irving? I think I might take him up as my next author...what I've been doing lately is just getting a few books by the same author and then reading them all...have you read anything else? The World According to Garp, maybe?

--------------------

Male

#7192624 - 07/18/07 12:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I like doing that too, going on author tears. I do it with Philip K. Dick a lot - read five or six of his books over 2 weeks and then put him aside to binge more on him later.

The only other book I've read by John Irving is in fact The World According to Garp. As a writer it struck a chord with me because it is about a writer. I love writers writing about writers writing. I love books where the main character is a writer and part of the book is something written by the writer character. Garp does that. I like Irving's style. Pretty simple, but eloquent.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineDeadmaker
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7192634 - 07/18/07 12:41 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

danno859 said:
That's a good way to put it.."painful reading" I'm gonna use that next time someone asks me what Notes from the Underground is like

I love this review of Notes From The Underground. They captured it perfectly I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Notes-Underground-Fyodor-Dostoyevsky/dp/0451529553/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2754997-5040028?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184783917&sr=8-1

"Quick read? I finished Crime and Punishment and thought I'd zip through Notes like a snack before going on to the Brothers Karamozov, afterall, it's barely over 100 pages. Quick read? Think again.

Imagine being locked in a very small room with a verbose, insane, brilliant, jaded, before-his-times, clerk-come-philosopher....with a wicked sense of humor, and a toothache that's lasted a month. Pleasant company....are you searching for the door yet?

For the first hour, he's going to rant about his philosophy of revenge, the pointlessness of his life, his superiority, his failure, oh yeah, and his tooth. FOr the second half of the book, he's going to tell you a tale, with the title "Apropos of the Wet Snow". Because of course, there's wet snow outside on the ground.

I will leave you with this encouragement. If you can get through this book, you will appreciate Doestoevsky more, understand Crime and Punishment better, and probably enjoy a good laugh more than once.

Notes from the Underground is not light reading, but it is well worth the effort. And the translation by Pevear, including the translators notes at the back, is excellent."

Edited by Deadmaker (07/18/07 12:41 PM)

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

#7192637 - 07/18/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds pretty cool, I haven't heard of anything like that since Misery, lol, but I don't really take King seriously. I think i'll check out those two for now and see what happens. If you like reading about writers writing, YOU might wanna check out the Movable Feast by Hemingway, its an autobiographical look at the time he spent in Paris immediately after WWI while writing the Sun Also Rises

--------------------

Male

#7192648 - 07/18/07 12:44 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My five favorite authors are: Ernest Hemingway, William Faulkner, Philip Dick, Haruki Murakami, and Tom Robbins.

Looove Hemingway. Movable Feast is a great read, makes me all sentimental for days I'll never get to experience. Being an ex-pat ain't what it used to be though it still sounds inviting at times. Except for the syphilis and prostitutes and all, I could do without that.

Have you read any Tom Robbins? If not, you need to catch up, life is leaving you behind in the dust.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order