Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix?
    #7182366 - 07/16/07 07:26 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I was going to boil some filtered or distilled water, then store in fridge for misting. I was wondering if it is safe to put a little H2O2 into the water and directly mist the casing. And if so, how often? Also I wanted to add some anti-biotic to the mix, like Tetracycline or Doxycycline, which should inhibit bacterial growth. Anyone ever do either of these and is it safe? Thanks.

Psiloglow--

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: psiloglow]
    #7182628 - 07/16/07 09:43 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Some just use tap water not boiled or anything and it works fine so to boil distilled water will probably be a a waste.

H202 will slow down growth and do more damage then good. It is only used in trying to save them from cobweb and not as precaution.

tetracycline ? do your shrooms have chronic prostatitis, sinusitis, syphilis, chlamydia, pelvic inflammatory disease,Elephantiasis, acne and rosacea or anthrax? If not I would leave out the tetracycline and doxycline. But if you do give them the doxycycline don't forget Doxycycline impairs the effectiveness of many types of contraceptive pill due to CYP450 induction So look out and use extra protection or you will end up a daddy

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

Offlineshagg
nottanub
Male

Loc: South
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: MYSTIQUE]
    #7182633 - 07/16/07 09:44 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

h202 is unnecessary

--------------------
I like good ratings too ..

Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: shagg]
    #7182672 - 07/16/07 10:00 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the Bio-chem lesson. I'm a pharmD by the way. Cyp450? What about the AUC and t1/2 lol? ....LOL..many bacterial infections may be prevented by using tet in the perlite and casing. Many. And no my girl does not take tet with BC together..lol. I'm well aware. But please amuse me with your pharmacodynamic lessons anytime.

Psiloglow

OfflineMYSTIQUE
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7182684 - 07/16/07 10:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

If ya already think ya know the answer why even ask Mr.Doctor?

--------------------

OfflineMYSTIQUE
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7182695 - 07/16/07 10:11 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

BTW the reason I had that list was that tetracycline is not good in getting rid of everyday colds and bacterias so what you would have on your hands day to day would not be that effected by the drug.

--------------------

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
    #7182725 - 07/16/07 10:29 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

An antibiotic tends to kill off more than just the bacteria it's prescribed for. If a cake or casing had a severe bacterial infection, most antibiotics would work for treating it. But... bacteria aren't a major concern after birthing, unless you have some kind of problem with your fruiting environment (standing water, for instance).

Just grow shrooms, and stop worrying about problems you aren't having. It's not that hard to keep them from going bacterial.

Similarly, h2o2 is better for fixing problems than preventing them. Ever work with too much peroxide? Ever notice how it starts to damage your skin, making it peel a bit? Yeah, it'll do that to the shrooms too, at least on the cellular level. They do have enzymes to break it down, but that takes time, and a lot of lysis still occurs. It's just not smart. Wait until you have a problem to start fixing it.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/16/07 10:31 AM)

Offlinepcubmycol
flattiefisherman

Loc: Selectively breeding the ...
    #7183448 - 07/16/07 01:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MYSTIQUE said:
H202 will slow down growth and do more damage then good. It is only

10% H202 will not hinder growth at all

--------------------
weretheshit.com is the shit!

:-D

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #7183791 - 07/16/07 03:30 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You mean 0.3% h2o2, assuming you're talking about a 10% solution of a 3% solution (3% is the common store-bought concentration).

Anyway, h2o2 isn't a preventative measure--it's a problem solver. It does delay growth briefly. How briefly is up to interpretation.

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: pcubmycol]
    #7183972 - 07/16/07 04:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pcubmycol said:
Quote:

MYSTIQUE said:

It harms cube mycelium just like cobweb mycelium.

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7184512 - 07/16/07 06:38 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

xaxphaanes said:
Quote:

pcubmycol said:
Quote:

MYSTIQUE said:

It harms cube mycelium just like cobweb mycelium.

Totally agree for those in doubt just watch it under an electron microscope. It will recover but why hinder growth at all?

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: hyphae]
    #7184797 - 07/16/07 07:52 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Furthermore, antibiotics are not used in bulk substrates because bacteria is not a contaminant of bulk. In fact, we pasteurize our substrates rather than sterilizing them so the bacteria can survive.

Contamination free growing is achieved by following proper sterile procedure during inoculations, and by air exchange during fruiting cycles.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: shagg]
    #7185355 - 07/16/07 09:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shagg said:
h202 is unnecessary

Save it for cobweb an even than it only works if you get to the cobweb as soon as it shows up

Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
    #7185363 - 07/16/07 09:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MYSTIQUE said:
If ya already think ya know the answer why even ask Mr.Doctor?

Because Doctors Can make mistakes and understand that they do not know everything. They are not quick to shout out answers to everything, like you. They research and learn the principles behind what they are studying. Period. No need to be hostile either...

Psiloglow--

Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
    #7185387 - 07/16/07 09:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MYSTIQUE said:
BTW the reason I had that list was that tetracycline is not good in getting rid of everyday colds and bacterias so what you would have on your hands day to day would not be that effected by the drug.

BTW, everyday colds are caused by coronavirii, which are prokaryotic organisms (viruses) that will not respond to tetracycline, which effects the peptidoglycam of eukaryotic cells only. BTW.

PSILOGLOW---

Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7185420 - 07/16/07 09:39 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Xaxphannes? interesting name. The only one in the forum to give me even a simple answer. I appreciate it. Everyone here seems to be so over-confidant, I just wanna split. Kids I guess. So H2O2 would not hinder growth? I didn't think so considering it's basically oxygen and water, and fungus should appreciate that to a small extent...but about the Antibiotics. I thought it may be a good way to prevent/treat bacterial infection throughout the casing. I have a ton of tetracycline HCL , which is soluble in water to the extent of 100MG/1ML H2O. Thought about misting casings to keep em strong...dunno, may try on one to see. L8R.

PSILOGLOW..

OfflineNStoney
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7185672 - 07/16/07 10:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I use a little H202 in my misting bottle, just for fun. Somthing along the lines of 5-10% of 3% H202. Never had any problems with my Mycelium or Fruits when using this mix.

Anyways... back to my main point. H202 IS NOT just water and oxygen. Well sorta not. I'm no professional chemist, but if H202 will peel your hands then its obviously a little more than a harmless mix of water & oxygen. Here's my understanding of it....

Water is H20, and Atmospheric Oxygen is 02. Since peroxide is H202, what you really have is H20 with an extra single Oxygen molecule. Oxygen naturally occurs as O2, so this extra oxygen molecule on the H202 is very unstable and wants to leave the H202 mix and bond with other molecules; for example, another oxygen molecule perhaps (I do believe this is referred to as oxidation). This is why H202 doesn't keep well and is stored in an opaque container. This oxidizing effect is what kills spores and various other things and makes H202 useful to us mycologists.

So... Yes when H202 loses its Oxygen molecule one of the byproducts is water, but the oxidizing effect that the extra oxygen molecule provides is harmfull to many things including mycelium. Apparently living mycelium (and other living things) produce something that the oxygen molecule can bind to without destroying the mycelium, and this is its natural defense against oxidation, but this defense process takes some time so the mycelium cannot totally nutralize the oxidation, and some mycelium does die from H202 exposure, just not all of it. Afterward it is able to grow and recover. Think of H202 as liquid Ozone (O3).

Chemistry Guru's chime in here and please clarify/correct my attempt at explaining this.

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

#7185716 - 07/16/07 10:36 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psiloglow said:
Xaxphannes? interesting name. The only one in the forum to give me even a simple answer. I appreciate it. Everyone here seems to be so over-confidant, I just wanna split. Kids I guess. So H2O2 would not hinder growth? I didn't think so considering it's basically oxygen and water, and fungus should appreciate that to a small extent...but about the Antibiotics. I thought it may be a good way to prevent/treat bacterial infection throughout the casing. I have a ton of tetracycline HCL , which is soluble in water to the extent of 100MG/1ML H2O. Thought about misting casings to keep em strong...dunno, may try on one to see. L8R.

PSILOGLOW..

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. Most of the people here know just what they're talking about--way the hell more than you seem to, full of yourself as you are. I've seen this bullshit attitude in every thread you've posted so far, and I don't see what purpose you think you're serving by asking a question, then denying the answers when they come.

If you have to choose one person to listen to, make it RR. If you want answers that always coincide with what you already believe, ask your imaginary friends. Real people with real experience are likely to give you answers you apparently can't handle (simple though they are).

Enough of your "look at me, I know more than anyone" game--you have evidenced repeatedly that you don't know jack about cultivation compared to the people you're belittling, and you don't even seem to know jack about the tangential topics you are so eager to jump on. Though it doesn't matter, virii, including coronavirii, are not prokaryotes. Go back to school, my man. That doesn't mean they respond to antibiotics, which of course they don't because they're acellular, but virtually everyone knows (or should know) that anyway.

I know all this sounds harsh, but it's much easier when you just listen to the advice you asked for, or at least debate it sensibly rather than with arrogant "Pshaw, I know more than all these kids"-style remarks. People are giving you fundamental reasons why the methods you're suggesting won't work (e.g., bacterial contamination is not a problem with bulk because it is pasteurized, rather than sterilized), and you're pretending they don't mean anything by spouting completely unrelated solubility figures. Great work.

--------------------

Edited by figgusfiddus (07/16/07 10:43 PM)

Invisiblepsiloglow
Stranger
Re: Misting the Casing? How often H2O2 OK in the mix? [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #7189671 - 07/17/07 07:23 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

your right about virri not being pro-karyotic. I believe, its been a while since I had to cover such trivial pre doctoral material, I apologize. But the reason Virii do not respond to antibiotics varies, and has a lot to do with the fact that virii are comprised mainly of RNA (with the exception of a few). Not DNA. So stop pestering me, your a nuisance. Bye

Psiloglow-

OfflinebzRooom
don't be stupid

#7189915 - 07/17/07 08:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

@psiloglow-you are so wise.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract