Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Loc: North Florida
Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics)
    #7162528 - 07/11/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My dad's been covering for a captain all this week on a large charter party fishing boat, and the boat never fills up to capacity so I always get to go fishing for free. (Normally it costs around $35 to $50.) It was just a 5 hour trip yesterday so we only went out about 7 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico (I live in north Florida on the panhandle). The further out you go, the more plentiful and bigger the fish get.

I happened to catch the biggest keeper once again! That happens a lot. I guess I'm a pro at deep-sea bottom fishing :-D

I caught lots of little 10 inch white snappers but I just gave them away to other fishermen cause I was going for the Red Snapper and Grouper.... the big fuckers. I pulled in a huge fucking 9lb Red Snapper, 1' 10" (22"). That fucking horse put up one hell of a fight. Here's a pic:

Everyone was congratulating me and shaking my hands and asking for tips and all that bullshit. It was fun, if you've never been deep-sea fishing, you NEED to go! I promise you, you'll love it as long as you don't get sick or get a shitty captain who can't find the fish.

A few hours later, a tourist in the back of the boat hooked up 7 foot bull shark. The guy ran out of energy after about 5 minutes so he handed the rod and reel to another guy. It took 4 guys taking turns and half an hour to finally get the shark up to the boat. On Party boats like this one, the insurance doesn't allow any sort of shark to be brought on board, but everyone wanted to see it and take pics/videos so they just reeled it up to the surface, let everyone see and take their pics, then cut the line. In the pics it looks small because i was far away due to the crowd around and because the boat is really big. Here are the only shots of the shark I got:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: UncleLuke]
    #7162568 - 07/11/07 07:16 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

That's awesome, I've always wanted to go deep sea fishing. One of those things on my "to do" list :grin:

what other kinds of fish have you hooked out there?

Invisibleshithead
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7162591 - 07/11/07 07:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

nice fishy, got a name?

--------------------
I just have names.
shit has been way busy, names have been flying out the door. No time for special name shit.

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: adamj]
    #7162598 - 07/11/07 07:22 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

red grouper, black grouper, jewfish, vermillion snappner, red snapper, white snapper, lane snapper, black snapper, triggerfish, sea bass (we call them squirrel fish around here), and grunts (we call them lady fish around here cause they have orange lips on the inside of their mouths).

Everyone now and then (more common while trolling) we'll catch king mackrel, barracuda, cobia, wahoo, sail fish, white marlin, black marlin, and blue marlin. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

--------------------

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery

#7162786 - 07/11/07 08:02 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

thats tight man, i went on a party boat in st. pete and caught around 80 grey snapper in 3 hours.

thats a nice fish!

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #7162835 - 07/11/07 08:10 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

UncleLuke said:
I pulled in a huge fucking 9lb Red Snapper, 1' 10" (22").

we pull 22lb striped bass out of the creek out here, I believe the record (localy) was 49lbs

no way I'd pay money to catch little fish  :smirk:

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #7166302 - 07/12/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

yah the gulf still has some good fish in it, hard to get the legal sized grouper,s they r some tasty fish

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: 5150]
    #7167890 - 07/12/07 08:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I caught 2 legal red grouper today and 6 more legal red snapper. I'll try to upload more pics soon.

--------------------

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

#7168373 - 07/12/07 09:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Today I went on a 10 hour trip. I caught a ton of fish but could only keep certain ones due to current regulations. Here's all the fish I caught. Six Red Snapper all 16+ inches in size and two Red Grouper both 20+ inches in size.

There was this huge guy near the back of the boat who was flat lining with a spinning rod using a cigar minor and caught a 30+ lb Wahoo. Lucky bastard.

--------------------

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Loc: Valley of the Sun
    #7168517 - 07/12/07 09:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

We just got back from Alaska, we went Halibut and King Salmon fishing. I caught two King Salmon and everybody caught their limit on Halibut. We caught the Salmon on their river run and the Halibut we caught off the coast of Homer, Alaska. It's beautiful in Alaska, definitely worth checking out.
The two salmon were 30 lbs and 20 lbs. The Halibut were all between 25-50 lbs

Edited by EndlessNameless (07/12/07 09:59 PM)

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: EndlessNameless]
    #7168591 - 07/12/07 10:10 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Do yall use spinning rods to catch those? I've never caught either. What's for bait?

--------------------

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

#7168624 - 07/12/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

For the salmon we used special salmon poles and they were equipped with divers and plugs. The plugs have sardines or herring (I can't remember) tired to them for scent. The salmon don't actually feed while they are in fresh water, their sole objective is to spawn. You drag the plug along the river bottom and hope a king salmon swims by and the scent/shine of the plug will be enough for him to bite at it. King Salmon fishing isn't easy since they don't feed and man they put up a hell of a fight. Halibut is a bit easier, we used herring heads I believe. You drop the bait on the ocean floor (about 300 ft) and they strike pretty hard. They are very tiring to get in, they don't fight much but they are heavy and they are at 300 ft so there is alot of line to reel up. Imaging lifting dead weight like a tire from the ocean floor at 300 ft :frown:

It sucks but good eating :wink:

Edited by EndlessNameless (07/12/07 10:19 PM)

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: EndlessNameless]
    #7168677 - 07/12/07 10:26 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I just got asked to go Halibut fishing down near Homer, it's the season for sure.

How'd you like your trip up here besides the fishing, do anything else?

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

OfflineUncleLuke
Crack andlasers.
Male

Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: Jadian]
    #7168702 - 07/12/07 10:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

300ft?!

On the 10 hour trips when we go like 30 miles offshore, the ocean is only 150ft deep max. I can't imagine having to reel in 20lb grouper from 300 feet. I'd have to take a nap after that fight.

--------------------

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: Jadian]
    #7168714 - 07/12/07 10:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Basically fished and drank. It's worth going for the scenery alone. I know your another Arizona resident, it's a whole different world up there. The mountains are incredible, the state and national parks are breath taking. Also, in the summer there is about 20+ hours of daylight, the sun goes down around 2 am. I would highly recommend you go and check it out, it's an experience you will never forgit. I know I will remember it forever :smile:

InvisibleEndlessNameless
Stranger

#7168736 - 07/12/07 10:39 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, 300 ft lol. At first they took us to some spots around 100 ft where the halibut are few and far between but the halibut that are there are massive (100+ lbs). If that doesn't work out they eventually take you to the "honey holes" where everytime your bait hits the ocean floor they bite like crazy, the Halibut are much smaller (30 to 60 lbs) but your guaranteed to bring some fish home. The downside is bringing them in as you can imagine. For a decent sized fish, expect to fight it for nearly 30 minutes and be completely exhausted when everything is said and done. The worst part about fishing at 300 ft is checking your line after you get a bite, nothing is better than reeling in over 300 ft of line to find your bait and everything is still intact :frown:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #7168763 - 07/12/07 10:45 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

there is about as much skill in "deep-sea" fishing as there is in playing "Go Fish".

drop your line until you feel the bottom... wiggle it around, then reel up when you feel a fish on your line.

My uncle did charters out of Dunedin, FL, and everytime I went with him I would put on two lures and catch 2 grunts at once. I think one day I caught over 50. the only fun part is when someone throws up and you watch the fish eat them, or you get a shark on the line.

wade fishing, salt or fresh, and drift fishing is the only real "sport" in the fishing world. Deep sea fishing isnt fishing, it should be called deep sea getting.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Yesterday's fishing trip! (Pics) [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7168944 - 07/12/07 11:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

YawningAnus said:
there is about as much skill in "deep-sea" fishing as there is in playing "Go Fish".

drop your line until you feel the bottom... wiggle it around, then reel up when you feel a fish on your line.

My uncle did charters out of Dunedin, FL, and everytime I went with him I would put on two lures and catch 2 grunts at once. I think one day I caught over 50. the only fun part is when someone throws up and you watch the fish eat them, or you get a shark on the line.

wade fishing, salt or fresh, and drift fishing is the only real "sport" in the fishing world. Deep sea fishing isnt fishing, it should be called deep sea getting.

I agree, but alot of it depends on where you go, sometimes you hit holes or a coral shelf and reel em on in, In my opinion, i think trout fishing is the most difficult fishing of all, down in Ft. Myers we used to go snook or sea trout fishing, fun stuff.

Offline5150
phantom
 User Gallery
    #7170812 - 07/13/07 11:45 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

cool pics, looks like your set for fish for a while
u must have caught amberjacks at some point, those r some good fighters get big as well, lots of them in the gulf
never caught 1 of those wahoo,s, that looks like a good 1

and yes alaska is a great state, u can pretty much live off the land
i did commercial fishing up there out of seward, we caught a halibut the size of a picnick table, didnt keep it though, we were only able to keep black cod, menuke, turbot?
the mushrooms r great as well, king boletes in particular and fly agarics for a little weirdness(they grow everywhere)

--------------------
"the way of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death"

Miyamoto Musashi

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate