Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Pressure Cooker Q's
    #71567 - 01/13/00 05:41 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I got one of those pressure cookers from walmart mine is a duo or something it has 4 knobby settings open 1=8psi 2=12psi and 3=15psi i use it all the time works great and i've never had a contam while using it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleScratcher
Stranger

Loc: eH
    #71569 - 01/13/00 07:49 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I bought my pressure cooker off a little old lady in the classified ads under 'small appliances' (in a publication called The Bargain Finder). It cost me a whole 10 dollars! I was always curious too about how you set the psi without a guage. It turns out that most old pressure cookers are made to cook at 15 psi as that is the ideal pressure for cooking most foods. You merely adjust the burner setting to produce a nice slow rocking of the pressure knob that balances on the top of the lid. I know all this because the little old lady gave me the instruction manual with the cooker and it was copyrighted in 1968!

Anonymous

#71570 - 01/13/00 08:00 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

That's the way mine is, and I bought it new.

Anonymous

#71571 - 01/14/00 05:44 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

On the subject of PC's

I am assuming that if you pressure cook empty
everything inside gets sterilized.

However in the TMC a possible cause of bacteria is stated as coming from the PCooker.

It then gives a solution of pressure cooking your pressure cooker for 24HRS!!

WTF????????

I would appreciate an explanation.....

Anonymous

#71572 - 01/14/00 07:26 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Pressure "cookers" by there nature let in "unsteralized air" upon cooldown to equalize the the cooker pressure to room pressure so you can open it safely once it's fairly cool.

Pressure "steralizers" create a vacume upon cooldown which needs to be realesed in front of a flow hood or in a "large" glove box so as not to admit unsteralized air to muck up agar plates.

Only Pressure "steralizers" like those made by All American create a vacume upon cooldown so that they can have their pressure realised under controled/ Filtered conditions.

A buddy has had fairly good luck by putting a alcohol soaked towel over the top and if necessary wrapped around the handel of a regular home type pressure cooker,,,he reported his worst case scenerieo has been to lose like 10 % to contams out of maybe 30 dishes.

He got lucky awhile back and had a deciest grandparent leave him a 21.QT Presto that locks with turn screws like an All American ,,but Vintage of the mid 40's ,,,the unit is in like mint new condition and makes up a nice batch of petri's which he realeases pressure in front of his flow hood and now doesent lose a single dish to contams.

God Bless Grandparents.
:-)

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #71573 - 01/15/00 10:03 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I started a little thread for those looking for pressure cookers a few days ago. In my opinion, pressure cookers by "All American" are the best...Follow the link for prices and more pressure cooker info
http://www.shroomery.org/ubbnoncgi/Forum2/HTML/008747.html

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Anonymous

#71574 - 01/14/00 10:01 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I picked up two older style pressure cookers at a thrift store for $2 each! The seal was a little worn on one but the other was like new.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag