Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
"You're welcome here!"
    #715035 - 07/01/02 04:57 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In the spring/summer of 1978 I sold all of my belongings except for a tent, a sleeping bag and a few clothes. At 24 I was already tired of the corporate world and decided to take a break and work in the garden (read: small-scale farming) at Ananda, a spiritual retreat in the Sierra Nevada foothills of the California gold country.

On my first night there, I was walking barefoot back to my tent. It was pitch black except for starlight. (As an aside: my light sensitivity improved so much being away from harsh city lights, that within a few months I could easily read a book by starlight.) I knew there was a lot of construction going on in the building of a new temple and I was afraid that I would step in a hole or on a board with a nail in it.

I had left my flashlight back in the tent, so in my blindness, I was taking cautious baby steps. I mumbled, "God, I wish I could see where I am going." At that instant, a brilliant white meteor shot straight over my head in the direction that I was walking and lit up the ground like a flare for a second or two. Simultaneously, a thought/voice popped into my head. It said "You are safe and welcome here. Have no fear." I was in awe.

Was it a mystical sign, or a coincidence that I quickly assigned meaning to? To this day, I occassionally take that memory out and replay it, but have come to no conclusion.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (07/01/02 05:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegriekenland

Re: "You're welcome here!" [Re: Swami]
    #715061 - 07/01/02 05:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

maybe there is no conclusion

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #715133 - 07/01/02 06:01 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, Swami! Someday I hope that I can make a retreat from society as you have. My goal in life is to someday be able to buy a lot of land in the country and start an organic farm. I would like to not even have electricity or running water.

But anyway... Your experience with the shooting star is quite an interesting one. My belief about them is that they are so rarely seen (especially such a bright one as you described) that it is difficult not to attach some sort of meaning to them. The thing is, you will never really know if it was a truly mystical experience or not, but I say if it pleases you to believe it was; then it was.

Very neat post!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #715156 - 07/01/02 06:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Here is a pic of my greens all organic 3 types of greens 2 types of mustards, arugula, radicheta.
All in the space of 4? x 4? more than we can eat I have a total of 7 of these raise beds.

--------------------

Anonymous

#715180 - 07/01/02 06:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

To me it sounds like you used telepathy with a higher source. Of course, I am from the transcendentalist train of thought. I like these paradigms that soundmind posted.. makes a lot of sense to me. You being a self claimed rationalist might assign meaning to it as a voice from inside yourself, or perhaps I am just assuming and you actually do think it may have come from beyond you.

All that aside, I think it was not a coincidence..if my opinion matters.

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: "You're welcome here!" [Re: ]
    #715291 - 07/01/02 08:28 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

But when you pray from your heart... From your soul... You will just KNOW He is there.
"No, I won't. Have prayed deeply and found no one/thing there."
You posted this just recently swami......would you say something/God was there for you in this experience??......
Peace, Trevor

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Anonymous

#715311 - 07/01/02 08:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am not surprised that we are nearly the same age but I didn't realize we were that close in age! Your rationality is showing again.

I have had many similiar events in my life and interpreted them according to my mindset at the time. Do thoughts appear in a person's head that are not their own? Possibly. But what sort of empirical evidence could anyone use to support that conclusion? None that I can think of.

Sounds like you had a great time. Enjoy every second as far as possible because none are repeated in this life.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #715316 - 07/01/02 08:46 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Mystical sign..coincidence...it's all the same...what happened happened.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: "You're welcome here!" [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #715328 - 07/01/02 08:53 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

Someday I hope that I can make a retreat from society as you have. My goal in life is to someday be able to buy a lot of land in the country and start an organic farm. I would like to not even have electricity or running water.

I actually did just that. In 1988 I moved the family to a small farm I purchased (just twenty acres). It was so far out in the country you couldn't see another house. It had a spring house with fresh spring water running year round and was heated with free natural gas. We lived for nearly two years without electricity, running water, or a telephone. We gardened, read books, and I wrote in my journal with a fountain pen by the light of a kerosene lamp. Idyllic to say the least. I named it Walden Farm after Thoreau's novel. How I miss those halcyon days.

There is no reason not to follow your dream. Start making plans today and follow them through. Life is too short to only dream your dreams. Live them. If nothing else, they make great stories!

Anonymous

Re: "You're welcome here!" [Re: LOBO]
    #715336 - 07/01/02 08:59 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Wow! What a neat garden! That is making me hungry! I love gardening. Today we had another run-in with the groundhog. He ate about 8 cucumber plants so we put up about 20 feet of tin dug down about a foot so he couldn't tunnel under the fence. Without a fence we would have no garden. Tried it once but the animals like the vegetables more than we do.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#715338 - 07/01/02 09:00 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome! Why would you ever leave such a place?
I like the name Walden's Farm too. Thoreau's aphorisms and thoughts about nature are some of the best I have ever read...
I definitely plan to follow through with my dream... Although right now I am going to college for Environmental Science and I don't know how this will fit in with it. I'm sure it will all work out somehow.
My mother owns a house in the country... It is high up on a hill, in a clearing in the middle of 52 acres of woods. Maybe when she dies the house will become mine, and I can set to work on fulfilling my dream.
Kind of a depressing thought tho.

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#715403 - 07/01/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Extra cool! Sounds like you have plans and are working them! Great!

Why did we leave? Fighting custody battles across state lines are ugly and very expensive! But that's another story.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

#715561 - 07/01/02 11:10 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ahh, I am sorry to hear that. I've had my own experience with custody battles.

They are bad things. At least for me they were.

Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Anonymous

#715582 - 07/01/02 11:19 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, they are generally battles that no one wins.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#715813 - 07/01/02 01:40 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds like a super-cool coincidence to me Swam.
There's really no reason to assume otherwise.

Oh, you should also go to a doctor and get a prescription for anti-psychotics to clear up those voices in the head.

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (07/01/02 01:41 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #715902 - 07/01/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The experience of meaningful coincidence is described by Carl Jung as a non-causal correlation between inner psychic states, and outer physical events, in the presence of an archetype. The appearance of a flaming meteor from the heavens easily constellates an archetpal complex of fear, awe, wonder, amazement, etc. which extends back in psychological time to our earliest ancestors. The additional sense of validation that you felt as safety and comfort is no less archetypal than the 'star' over Bethlehem, or any of the numerous heavenly signs found throughout mythology and religion. Such is the nature of 'miracles' that occur in any human life.

This was literally a 'high light' of your life, and as such can certainly be considered to be a blessing. The question is: Are you able and willing to extrapolate from this very glowing event, that literally Everything is a blessing? To live in awe and wonder! Imagine that!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: "You're welcome here!" [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #715967 - 07/01/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, that's a pretty exciting thought stream to go down at first, but then it gets a little old.

--------------------

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
    #716131 - 07/01/02 03:28 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I feel the same way you do. You know what I think. If only their was a political shift in nationwide and local levels. I look across the street where they are building high income housing, big houses with big plots, that none of these people farm, they just plant a bunch of landscaping plants. This farmland is so nice to me. There's at least 10 square miles in this area. But the military used to own it, then a sugar plantation owned it, and supposedly drained it of all nutrient. Which is wrong. I farm over there. Right now, I go and can get wheat, cherry tomatoes, and peas, that grow wild. Although, I want electricity, looking forward to some kind of hand held solar generator.

Anonymous

#719357 - 07/02/02 11:46 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
    #751217 - 07/16/02 02:34 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'd say cut her back to half a gram.

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds