Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDDM
I
Male

Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos)
    #7136250 - 07/06/07 07:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hi everyone! this is my first try with mushroom growing, and i have to ask some little help. My first born cakes were very healty and white while still in the jar, and so they were after dunking and during primordia and pinhead formation. just when the mushrooms started to grow large and mature, some strange blue/greenish colour appeared over the cake themselves. At first i was scared, but i waited some days to see how the ting evolved.

I noticed varius things that make me think this is not contamination :
- The wrong colour is exactly the same hue of the bruise or damage on fungi and the cake itself. the points were i touch the cake or the fungi when i harvest them get of the same colour of this unknown agent, just a bit less intense. i don't know what this process is, i think it's the micelium dying or breaking, and oxydation turns it to that colour. I tried also to cut with a sharp clean blade part of this blue micelium and in the gash appeared this very strong blue colour minutes after the cut. it was just more intense, but of the same hue.
- The spreading of this colour is not fast. For waht i know about contamination and bacteria, they are fast spreading, and form spores that change the colour of the cake. In many points this strange colour seems to be coming from the inside of the cake or of the micelium rather than being spores produced by contamnants.
- The cakes were fully colonized, and according to waht i know it is unlikely to get contamination over a fully colonized cake, but i can't be sure on this.
- The mushrooms themselves were very beautiful and looked healty, i had very very (if any) abhorts, and an avarage harvest of 45/50g for the first flush. I have seen many contamination factors that make fungi decay or look ill, but this is not the case.

so here now the pics. Hope this is not contamination, but a normal process i didn't know.
Just to be sure i didn't eat any of the arvested shrooms, waiting for a response!

Thanks in advance

--------------------
Turn off your mind, there's nothing to find

Edited by DDM (07/06/07 08:25 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos) [Re: DDM]
    #7136266 - 07/06/07 07:57 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

cant see the pics

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

OfflineDDM
I
Male

Re: Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos) [Re: royer]
    #7136328 - 07/06/07 08:25 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

ops sorry! problem solved..

--------------------

InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

#7136873 - 07/06/07 11:08 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

ewwww! that looks like cobweb mold and blue mold.

pm RR, he'll know

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

InvisibleInnominate
Male

Re: Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos) [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7142900 - 07/07/07 05:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You should toss that shit quuick.

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #7143275 - 07/07/07 07:19 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmmmm. It could be bruising. I dont see anything that suggests that there is cobweb. If the fruits dont have any contams on them they are fine to eat. It is not true that a contaminated cake with good looking fruits will make you sick.
Did you dunk them? I have had my entire cakes turn blue from dunking. Get a q-tip and wipe the areas in question. If it is indeed a contam, there will be residue on the q-tip. The blue or green color that mold produces is the spores of the fungus. If you have access to a microscope that would be even better. You could wipe what comes off of the cake on the microscope glass and have a look. But again if the fruits dont have any contams then they will be fine to eat. HippieChick has undeniable proof of this. I saw a casing of hers that was completely covered in green mold and she ate fruit from it.
But that first pic does not look good.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Edited by Ganzig (07/07/07 07:24 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos) [Re: Ganzig]
    #7144038 - 07/07/07 10:29 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I won't open image shack pictures and receive the spam they send along with it. The thumbnail looks more like bruising.

Look at your cake with a magnifying glass. If the blue is a layer above the cake, such as if you sprinkled it on, then it's mold. If the blue is the color of the mycelium/cake itself, then it's bruising. With green or blue molds, the mycelium is white, and the color is the spores. You should be able to tell with the magnifying glass if you're looking at a layer of spores or mycelium. If it's blue mycelium, it's bruising. Give it an overnight dunk in water to rehydrate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDDM
I
Male

Re: Is this normal? contamination or exhaustion? (photos) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7145150 - 07/08/07 03:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

many thanks everyone! too bad, it was both bruising and mold.. anyway the methods advised to find out if it's contamination or not will be very helpful in future, thanks again!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck