Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

question about sterilization...
    #7123339 - 07/03/07 08:54 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My friend had a quick question about sterilization. How does boiling the jars sterilize them? I mean, he understands the principal, but he doesn't understand how an air-tight jar would become sterile. If you have a jar with tape AND foil over it, it seems like the top of the jar wouldn't get sterilized. It seems like only the outside of the jar would be sterile, and that becomes unsterilized the minute you open the lid of the pot and/or touch it. Maybe someone can shed some light....he just wants to make sure he understands it fully.

--------------------
Everything I say is either hypothetical or a lie. Assume that nothing I say is true, except what I am saying right now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshr00m3r
Re: question about sterilization... [Re: freemynd]
    #7123361 - 07/03/07 09:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think the jars are suppose to be sealed at any point during PCing or Boiling as they can explode? Usually you unscrew the lid slightly so it can rattle and let pressure out. Not 100% sure but seems to make sense lol

--------------------

Ban Thurian spawned straight to coir! :strokebeard2:

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

Re: question about sterilization... [Re: shr00m3r]
    #7123427 - 07/03/07 09:32 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shr00m3r said:
I don't think the jars are suppose to be sealed at any point during PCing or Boiling as they can explode? Usually you unscrew the lid slightly so it can rattle and let pressure out. Not 100% sure but seems to make sense lol

Really? Wow, I guess this was never explained, maybe that's why his grows failed. Others have said to put foil over the jars (with no lids) and rubberband them. Wouldn't that seal it completely too? Anyone else second that?

--------------------
Everything I say is either hypothetical or a lie. Assume that nothing I say is true, except what I am saying right now.

Edited by freemynd (07/03/07 09:34 AM)

Invisiblejellyfish

#7123438 - 07/03/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What kind of teks are you reading? Boiling jars wouldn't just reduce contams on the outside because the inside of the jar eventually reaches the same temp and the bacteria die. But water boiling on a stove isn't hot enough to sterilize thats why you need a PC.

OfflineFellowGrower
Fungal Freedom Fighter
 User Gallery

#7123447 - 07/03/07 09:41 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I put Glad "press-n-seal" wrap over mine, and just poke 8 holes in it with a fork. its TUFF STUFF (can take the heat, and lets just enough steam out the holes to not cause an issue.
just make sure the jars are all level, and water can't/won't splash on to the top.
when its done, and cool, leave the wrap on it and just throw the lids on. good to go.

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

Re: question about sterilization... [Re: jellyfish]
    #7123454 - 07/03/07 09:44 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

jellyfish said:
What kind of teks are you reading? Boiling jars wouldn't just reduce contams on the outside because the inside of the jar eventually reaches the same temp and the bacteria die. But water boiling on a stove isn't hot enough to sterilize thats why you need a PC.

Well, even RR's videos say you can boil for 90 mins to sterilize. Plus, it's posted all over these forums. I guess the question is, do they need to be airtight? If not, that's probably my friend's problem. He was sealing with tape AND foil with a rubberband. According to the PF-Tek for Simple Minds, you only need foil, no lids or rubberbands (but then again, they're using a PC).

--------------------

Offlineshr00m3r
    #7123494 - 07/03/07 10:02 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I forgot to add that when you loosen the lids you STILL put the foil and stuff around it (The tape also keeps the inner lid held up so pressure can escape the jars) then when everything is done sterilizing i open it and tighten the jars (leaving foil on using oven mitts of course) then put them in the oven (Cleanest place i can think of) until the next day, I then move them to my glovebox removing the foil before i place it in the box.

I'm ASSUMING your friend is doing BRF/Verm mixture with a dry verm barrier on top. In this case boiling the jars for 90 Min's WILL suffice. If he is trying any kinds of grains or really any other method a pressure cooker is NEEDED as the endospores that are in the grains do not die off at boiling temperature (under pressure water can boil at a higher temperature which = faster cooking times and such which is why people use pressure cookers in the first place)

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7123506 - 07/03/07 10:06 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shr00m3r said:
I forgot to add that when you loosen the lids you STILL put the foil and stuff around it (The tape also keeps the inner lid held up so pressure can escape the jars) then when everything is done sterilizing i open it and tighten the jars (leaving foil on using oven mitts of course) then put them in the oven (Cleanest place i can think of) until the next day, I then move them to my glovebox removing the foil before i place it in the box.

I'm ASSUMING your friend is doing BRF/Verm mixture with a dry verm barrier on top. In this case boiling the jars for 90 Min's WILL suffice. If he is trying any kinds of grains or really any other method a pressure cooker is NEEDED as the endospores that are in the grains do not die off at boiling temperature (under pressure water can boil at a higher temperature which = faster cooking times and such which is why people use pressure cookers in the first place)

Yes, I forgot to mention BRF/Verm of course. So do you put a rubberband around your foil? Or do you just tape the holes, put the lids on loosely and cover with foil?? Is tape even needed? It seems that if lids aren't necessarily needed, I can't imagine tape would be.

--------------------

Offlineshr00m3r
    #7123540 - 07/03/07 10:14 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

My first grow i taped the holes AND used foil (i do not use any rubber band i just use heavy duty foil and make sure to fold around the sides so it stays on) the foil still allows steam to escape as its not a seal, But contamination isn't just going to crawl into the jar (most contams sit on the ground as high as 2 feet) plus you got that dry verm layer, Trust me that dry verm layer is your main protection, You can open you lid while colonizing and look at you dry verm layer and probably be fine (although not recommended) I say this as i just recently read a post where someone had a stalling jar BRF/verm jar and RR recommended he take the lid off for a min or 2 then put it back on.

On the grow I'm doing now with 36 pints i forgot to tape the holes (oops) and found out it really does not make a difference, All of my jars are showing amazing growth that is very rhizomorphic so IMO just fill your jar loosely (but without GAPS) leave a inch from the top for dry verm layer, Wipe that inch of glass clean of residue as contams can use ANYTHING left behind to wick into your main substrate, fill with dry verm layer, Cap the jar roughly half way it should rattle but not come off, Then take a nice square piece of foil wrap it around the top and do it up.

Hope that helps, Sorry if its confusing I'm really stoned lol

(** Wtf the spell checker changed Rhizmorphic to Homomorphic on me LOL!!)

--------------------

Edited by shr00m3r (07/03/07 10:18 AM)

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7123562 - 07/03/07 10:18 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok awesome. That sounds like what the problem may have been. If the jars were airtight would that have prevented sterilization? I think for the next batch, he'll tape the holes (maybe, maybe not), loosen the lid, and cover with foil.

--------------------

Offlineshr00m3r
    #7123572 - 07/03/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

not sure on that one, Can only tell ya the way i did it. I have had 100% success with the method i just told ya :P

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7123622 - 07/03/07 10:32 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so just put the lids on loosely?

--------------------

Offlineshr00m3r
    #7123665 - 07/03/07 10:44 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

yup.

--------------------

OfflineFellowGrower
Fungal Freedom Fighter
 User Gallery

#7123709 - 07/03/07 10:56 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

or do what I said.

whichever.

lol.

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

Re: question about sterilization... [Re: FellowGrower]
    #7123798 - 07/03/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, sounds great! Just curious, has anyone else had problems with colonization because of airtight jars when sterilizing?

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7123799 - 07/03/07 11:24 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

With the verm barrier in place and your jars prepared properly there is no need to use tape on the holes in cake jars,save the tape for the grains:rockon:

Invisibled4a2n0k
The Dude
Male User Gallery

Re: question about sterilization... [Re: Blutjager]
    #7123868 - 07/03/07 11:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
With the verm barrier in place and your jars prepared properly there is no need to use tape on the holes in cake jars,save the tape for the grains:rockon:

What he said. Every one has been asking about taping inoc. holes on PF jars recently. I really dont understand where this started. The holes are supposed to be left open for air exchange. As blutjager said, the dry verm layer on top does the work for you. It protects from contams and allows air exchange. Taping over the holes and you completely defeat the purpose of the verm layer. This is a fairly simple concept.

Peace and good luck.

Oh BTW if you don't know already don't listen to a word goldenschlager says, hes a fucking moron!

--------------------
Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

Re: question about sterilization... [Re: d4a2n0k]
    #7123896 - 07/03/07 11:42 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Haha, yes, I do know. Thanks! Yeah, I guess there was just some confusion. My friend was told that tape should be used during cooking and then taken off afterwards. But if it's not needed at all, that's even easier! I guess even RR's video shows them putting tape on their lids.

--------------------

Offlineshr00m3r
    #7123926 - 07/03/07 11:50 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GoldenSchlager said:
or do what I said.

whichever.

lol.

I wouldnt recommend taking anything that this turd has to say seriously. And for your own sake dont read his teks...

--------------------

Offlinefreemynd
HyperspaceAstronaut
 User Gallery

#7124350 - 07/03/07 01:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shr00m3r said:

I wouldnt recommend taking anything that this turd has to say seriously. And for your own sake dont read his teks...

Haha, thanks for the tip. I won't. I'll plan on sticking to what you said. RogerRabbit, if you're around, I'd appreciate your input too.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds