Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinegrindeR
Nub
Male
Is this contaminated? Should I throw it out?
    #7114697 - 07/01/07 11:11 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, I'm new to mushroom cultivation and I just inoculated my first 6 jars on Thursday June 21st. I was looking at my jars this morning and I saw this little green spec on one of my jars. So is this contaminated and should I get rid of it or is it possible that the mycelium will be okay or should I not risk it and just throw it out? It's only one jar, and the others look fine and healthy and I have seperated this jar from the rest ... I just don't want to spread the possible contamination of this jar to others and I don't want to become sick so I'm just looking for advice on what to do. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about.

And here is another part at the top of the jar which is harder to see, but seems to have a green tint underneath the mycelium.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesimplystoned
Tree Wizard
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: K-Town up in this biache
Re: Is this contaminated? Should I throw it out? [Re: grindeR]
    #7114899 - 07/01/07 12:17 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

What is the substrate type? And, out of curiosity, what strain is it? Rather rhizo look to it!

Yeah mate, that's contaminated. If you are using filter patches or tyvek filters and the filters are in tact you should not be worried about that jar contaminating other jars. Just throw it out, you cannot simply cut out a contaminated section of a jar and hope it works. I'm not sure of what contamination you have, the color is a little skewed and I am not an expert on contaminates (however, I'm sure I've seen this before). Many contaminates (trich, for one) grow in white, almost like a pasty mycelium, and when they turn colors is when they release their spores. Cutting out a piece of the cake wouldn't do anything besides release millions of endospores into the air, ready to contaminate everything else you mess with for the next few months.

Just toss the jar out, forget about it. Some people reuse jars, totally isn't worth it for me. Jars are cheap and contaminate spores can ruin grows for months (I have a buddy who got trich his second grow and for the next six months couldn't put out a single mushie).

stoned

--------------------

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell which encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility:

For his hand, though heavy and hard, is guided
by the tender hand of the Unseen,
And the cup he brings, though it burn your lips,
has been fashioned of the clay which the Potter
has moistened with His own sacred tears." - Kahlil Gibran

Offlinesimplystoned
Tree Wizard
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is this contaminated? Should I throw it out? [Re: simplystoned]
    #7114906 - 07/01/07 12:19 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Also, if that little patch of uncolonized substrate that looks rather wet doesn't colonize, you have wet rot as well as the blue/green contaminate. If you get jars that don't colonize entirely and look kinda mushy it is not ok to try and scrap them.

--------------------

"Your pain is the breaking of the shell which encloses your understanding. It is the bitter potion by which the physician within you heals your sick self. Therefore trust the physician, and drink his remedy in silence and tranquility:

OfflinegrindeR
Nub
Male
    #7114936 - 07/01/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

These are Golden Teacher being grown on Brown Rice Flour/Vermiculite substrate jars. I suppose I'll just throw this jar out because I have 5 other perfectly healthy jars and I don't wanna spread this contamination around.

--------------------

Offlinesimplystoned
Tree Wizard
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7115011 - 07/01/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You don't really have another choice besides throwing it away, cutting a piece and trying to salvage it won't work in the first place.

Golden teach is a good strain, good luck with it. Don't forget to make prints or do cultures off of fruit bodies!

--------------------

OfflineHeyZeus
Distant Grundle

Loc: California
    #7115478 - 07/01/07 04:10 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Burry the damn thing under a neighbor's tree and watch&wait. Maybe you can take a sample and make a culture...

--------------------
In every bucket, there is atleast one bad apple.  I'm the one without noticable differences.

Effort rewards what cannot be obtained otherwise.

Invisibleveilbreaker
Sour girl
Female

#7118655 - 07/02/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Great pics... I wish everybody's were as clear. :thumbup:

--------------------
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

:amanitajar: :rose:

Invisiblefishersfinest

Re: Is this contaminated? Should I throw it out? [Re: veilbreaker]
    #7119098 - 07/02/07 12:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldnt depend on the jar, but Id crumble that cake and make a tiny outdoor patch somewhere and just hope for the best, got nothing to lose... Might as well try a little experiment.

But definately dont try to grow it in a sterile/indoor environment.

OfflineI Like Alkaloids
Brought Back to Life
Male

Loc: Rocky Mountains, U.S. Flag
Re: Is this contaminated? Should I throw it out? [Re: fishersfinest]
    #7119242 - 07/02/07 01:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fishersfinest said:
definately dont try to grow it in a sterile/indoor environment.

Good advice...  :cool:

--------------------
A lot of people here are assholes, but so am I...

:cool:

Edited by I Like Alkaloids (07/02/07 01:09 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags