Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineh4x
Stranger
 User Gallery

Colonizing hpoo..
    #7102127 - 06/28/07 03:34 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry for this stupid question.

Anyway, so after I mix my colonized grain with hpoo I place them all into metal cooking trays. At this point I am supposed to cover the poo/spawn in foil and put it somewhere until the mycelium completely colonizes the poo.

What im wondering, is where do I put it at this point? Apparently I should keep it at 27 degrees celcius until the mycelium starts growing, correct? Does this mean I can just put it back into the same incubator I used to incubate my jars? What if my trays do not fit into my incubator or I have jars in it already, do I need to make a new incubator to fit the trays or what?

Anyway, after the hpoo/spawn has completely colonized I place my casing layer ontop, correct? Now, while I wait for the mycelium to start poking through, where should the tray be kept? Back into the incubator or should I put it in the fruiting chamber? Should I replace the foil or leave it off?

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: Colonizing hpoo.. [Re: h4x]
    #7102145 - 06/28/07 03:46 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Room temperature is fine; I would not dick around with trying to incubate trays. The mycelial explosion will produce considerable heat anyhow. Keep your foil on, and leave the trays in the dark. Wait until you see myc. sprouting into the casing, patch, and place into fruiting condition.

Offlineh4x
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Colonizing hpoo.. [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7102176 - 06/28/07 04:17 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

How sterile should the enviroment be? Im thinking about just getting a nice big rubbermaid that I can sterilize that will fit all the of trays in it.

Offlineh4x
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7102180 - 06/28/07 04:21 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

How sterile should the enviroment be? Im thinking about just getting a nice big rubbermaid that I can sterilize that will fit all the of trays in it.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7102187 - 06/28/07 04:27 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Yep, that's fine. You don't need to worry much about sterile environment; your hpoo will be pasteurized to kill molds and not sterilized anyhow. Bacteria should keep out most mold spores until late in the fruiting when the mycelium weakens.

If you'd like to be paranoid, or do get contaminants, just check your gas exchange levels, keep your project off the floor, and be sure your spawn is sterile.

I have yet to get a contaminant other than cobweb mold during colonization. That is often due to my negligence in providing proper air exchange. Otherwise all contamination occurred due to bad spawn.

Hope this helps
-CL

Offlineh4x
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7102193 - 06/28/07 04:34 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainLinger said:
Yep, that's fine. You don't need to worry much about sterile environment; your hpoo will be pasteurized to kill molds and not sterilized anyhow. Bacteria should keep out most mold spores until late in the fruiting when the mycelium weakens.

If you'd like to be paranoid, or do get contaminants, just check your gas exchange levels, keep your project off the floor, and be sure your spawn is sterile.

I have yet to get a contaminant other than cobweb mold during colonization. That is often due to my negligence in providing proper air exchange. Otherwise all contamination occurred due to bad spawn.

Hope this helps
-CL

Thanks a lot :laugh: One more silly question, if I have foil placed lightly over it will that be enough for air exchange or will I still have to open them up every so often? If I do need to open them, how many times a day does it need to be done?

Sorry for all the small questions, I just like to have everything down in my mind before actually attemping anything.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7102206 - 06/28/07 04:47 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

That's fine :smile:

It's always worked just fine for me. That, or foil with fork holes every few inches.

You don't want to induce FAE really, just provide passive exchange. Too much and you'll have some premature fruiting going on!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract