Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecalgone47
Stranger
Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question!
    #7101210 - 06/27/07 10:11 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so this is my third batch of jars I have recently inoculated. My first batch, I had no growth after a month and decided that my substrate was a bit too moist. My second batch I made sure to drain my verm to field capacity and after about 3-5 days I started seeing growth in one of the jars which was fantastic but the other 2 jars have been lagging behind pretty badly. Now my third batch, feeling a bit more confident after finally having some growth, I went ahead and inoculated 5 jars and after about a week and a half, I have no growth in any jars...

Let me break down my procedure for you guys.. I am using fine grain verm, and whole wheat flour for my substrate. Basically, the vermiculite was measured out, poured in a bowl, and added water to field capacity. I did this by pouring and mixing simultaneously until water would trickle out the bottom of the verm, at that point I tossed the wet verm into a collander and let the water drain out for a minute or so and then dumped the verm back into the mixing bowl.

Now, I poured and mixed the pre-measured whole wheat flour into the wet verm and distributed the substrate into each of my half pint jars. I poured up to about 3/4 or half inch from the top making sure not to push down on the substrate. After the jars were filled, I then topped them off with dry verm and sealed them in preparation for sterilization.

The jars were then PC'd at 15psi for 45 minutes and let cool overnight. After they were completely cooled, they were each inoculated (trying to be as sterile as possible, flame-sterilizing the needle before and between each innoc) at 2 points on each jar. The holes were covered with bandaids, then the lids were covered with foil and rubberbanded for shits and giggles. The jars have been in my incubator in my closet at a constant 75-80 degrees ever since.

I guess what I am looking for from you guys is just some contructive criticism, I have been following the PF Tek for simple minds and realize this is a pretty lamens term guide and it has helped me get started in the myco world. But at this point, I would like some expert opinion on what I may be doing wrong and why my jars are colonizing so inconsistently.

Also, I am wondering if my most colonized jar is contaminated, it has been starting to yellow a tad bit at the areas where the mycelium first started forming. It is not a big contrast and in the pictures I took to load up here, you can't even see it, but it still worries me. I have read that yellow can be metabolites, is this true? Should I go ahead and toss the jar?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Peace and Love!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question! [Re: calgone47]
    #7101280 - 06/27/07 10:22 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

The holes were covered with band aids, then the lids were covered with foil and rubberbanded for shits and giggles. The jars have been in my incubator in my closet at a constant 75-80 degrees ever since.

Well its no wounder they ain't making it you have them all covered with foil and stuff. If you have a dry verm barrier you don't need the tinfoil and even if you don't it should not be held on tight it should just be sitting there to keep dust off it. Take off the band aids and tinfoil let it get some air.

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

Offlinedirtracer24
intrigued
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate ny
Re: Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question! [Re: calgone47]
    #7101294 - 06/27/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

field capacity is way to wet for cakes you want 2 parts verm 1 part flour 1 part water this will feel moist to touch but no matter how hard you squeeze it will hold a ball but will not drip water if anything id say you want to be a lil dry.your moisture content is your problem fix that and youll be a happy happy man.

goodluck

--------------------
why do we park in driveways?and drive in parkways?

Offlinedirtracer24
intrigued
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate ny
Re: Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question! [Re: dirtracer24]
    #7101335 - 06/27/07 10:35 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

ok im here to help ya buddy ust follow this.first dry mix 2 cups verm one cup flour when well mixed slowly add in one cup water and mix well thn fill jar till about 3/4 inchfrom the top leave loose take a rag and wipe that 3/4 of an inch with a rag then add your dry verm layer top this and add foil for pc's as you dont want any more moisture in your mix leave in pc till cool.45 minutes for cake should be fine better than a boil.ok noccin time nc all four holes towards the glass take off top or not its up to you but do not cover holes if your not gonna take top off leave them undisturbed where your gonna keep thm whether its on a shelf or in an incbator till they are 100%colonized and once you fell they are 100% leave them for anothe 4-7 days then its tie to make the magic happen brother i beg you to pm me or ask a few questions before you do something with these jars youll regret its heartbreaking to go through all that then screw up the reward part of your grow we are all here for ya but dont be afraid to read read read and if you have an extra 50 bucks i also beg you to buy roger rabbits video it is the fail safe for beginers hell teachyou the basic ins and outs to everything you need to know to be an excellent succesful fungus farmer.
keep on rockin in the freeworld

--------------------
why do we park in driveways?and drive in parkways?

Offlinecalgone47
Stranger
Re: Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question! [Re: dirtracer24]
    #7103595 - 06/28/07 02:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the quick responses! I'll take the foil and bandaids off and hope that I get some colonization, and if not I will scratch these jars and start anew with ya'lls tips. Thanks again! :thumbup: :mushroom2:

Offlinecalgone47
Stranger
    #7112651 - 06/30/07 08:45 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

anyone?

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7112657 - 06/30/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

anyone what?

That wasn't bad advice.

Offlinecalgone47
Stranger
Re: Needing some tips, critique my procedure, and a contam question! [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7114390 - 07/01/07 08:39 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainLinger said:
anyone what?

That wasn't bad advice.

Sorry, lol, I could've sworn before my last post I had posted asking if anyone had any idea of the yellowing in my most fully colonized jar.

Thanks!

Offlinecalgone47
Stranger
    #7114398 - 07/01/07 08:43 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

And just to add, I've taken off the foil and bandaids and have gotten significant growth in a few of the jars, but will probably have to start over soon because of my moisture issues. Thanks for the tips again!

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7114742 - 07/01/07 11:34 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

:smile:

No worries. I wouldn't be shocked to see your cakes come out fine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate