Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Militaristic vegans. How annoying. * 1
    #7089105 - 06/24/07 10:46 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

So there I am this afternoon just enjoying a good read in the park, leafing through Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle and soaking up some rays. Minding my own goddamn business. A woman comes and sits on the bench right next to mine, and she's got three big gorgeous dogs with her. I pet one of the dogs and she and I share a very nice kind smile, and then I go back to my book.

A couple of minutes later she leans over...

"Excuse me?"

"Yes?"

"Are you a vegetarian?"

"No, actually, I'm not."

She reaches into her purse and pulls out a couple of pamphlets to hand me. I put out my hand flat and vertical to stop her.

"I don't really have any intention of ever not eating meat."

"Oh. So you like cruelty and death then?"

What the fucking hell can lead someone to make such a wretched jump in logic? I think all the fucking vegetables go to these people's sick heads.

"No, I like to eat meat."

She pushes the pamphlets towards me.

"You know, I came to the park to read, not to be preached to."

At this point i just turn and bury my head back in my book. And then she asks me, "Can I take a photo of you?" Fuck no you can't. Begone!

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: OneMoreRobot3021] * 1
    #7089130 - 06/24/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Tell me more about the book.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineMuufokfok
aka BoxyBrown
Male User Gallery

Loc: america's wang Flag
    #7089132 - 06/24/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

:whack: show her whatsup

--------------------
"I'm guessing the 'ancient lost drug' of india is psychedelic mushrooms. The correlation between sacred cows (in hinduism) and magic mushrooms growing on cow dung is too strong to ignore, if you ask me."

As the ocean waves, the universe "peoples"
~Alan Watts~

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
    #7089137 - 06/24/07 10:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

worship my god. it is the only true god.

eat my way. it is the only true way.

notice the similarities?

--------------------

Male

Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: Madtowntripper] * 1
    #7089141 - 06/24/07 10:53 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
Tell me more about the book.

It imagines a world in which the Axis powers won World War II. Africa is a barren wasteland, most blacks having perished in Nazi experiments. America is divided into 3 states - the Rocky Mountain States, the Eastern States (a.k.a. United States), and the Pacific States. The Rocky Mountain States exist under joint control while Germany controls the east and Japan the west.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7089163 - 06/24/07 10:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Now see, that sounds like something I would like.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Male

#7089178 - 06/24/07 11:00 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I love Phil Dick. The quote from The New York Times Book Review on the back sums it up: His best novels involve a future that is at once entirely recognizable and completely unimaginable.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7089181 - 06/24/07 11:01 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, I'm gonna have to check that out. It sounds amazing.

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: Redstorm] * 1
    #7089191 - 06/24/07 11:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I will have to spend a leisurely afternoon at Barnes & Noble when I get back home reading that.

I can't afford to buy new books anymore, and I refuse to wait until the library gets them for me. That does sound like a great read though...

ATTN REDSTORM: I like your sig quote. Is that new?

--------------------

OfflineButta
Son of Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tasmania
    #7089193 - 06/24/07 11:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I will never begin to understand vegans. I DO know that they shit me up the wall, however.

You know what? Yeah I feel guilty about animals being slaughtered for my benefit. But fuck, guess what? We got the thumbs. And the brain that does heaps of awesome stuff. And we need things from meat to survive.

Call the bitch a wahmbulance.

--------------------
Victims; aren't we all?

Male

#7089194 - 06/24/07 11:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I have sigs turned off, someone copy and paste it for me pretty please.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7089198 - 06/24/07 11:04 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Yes it is. I just read it a couple days ago and struck me as very, very acceptable for being close to 200 years old.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: Butta] * 1
    #7089216 - 06/24/07 11:08 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Butta said:
And we need things from meat to survive.

a meat diet is nonessential to living. vital b12 can be alternatively obtained through chlorella, spirulina, and other various seaweeds. the better argument would be that meat simply tastes good to most of us. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineButta
Son of Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tasmania
Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: AlteredAgain] * 1
    #7089237 - 06/24/07 11:17 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
Quote:

Butta said:
And we need things from meat to survive.

a meat diet is nonessential to living. vital b12 can be alternatively obtained through chlorella, spirulina, and other various seaweeds. the better argument would be that meat simply tastes good to most of us. :wink:

Ok, fair play, but what about places that don't have easy access to seaweed? Don't see Africans eating sushi :tongue:
For the hundreds of thousands of years we've been trotting about on this planet, we've been eating stuff that makes noises. Fuck them for getting all uppity about it now :tongue:

--------------------
Victims; aren't we all?

OfflineMadtowntripper
 User Gallery

#7089247 - 06/24/07 11:19 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
I have sigs turned off, someone copy and paste it for me pretty please.

[quote]"What good does it do me, after all, if an ever-watchful authority keeps an eye out to ensure that my pleasures will be tranquil and races ahead of me to ward off all danger, sparing me the need even to think about such things, if that authority, even as it removes the smallest thorns from my path, is also absolute master of my liberty and my life; if it monopolizes vitality and existence to such a degree that when it languishes, everything around it must also languish; when it sleeps, everything must also sleep; and when it dies, everything must also perish?"

- Alexis de Tocqueville (on the centralization of administration)

--------------------

Male

#7089254 - 06/24/07 11:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Lovely. Is that from Democracy in America? I read that a long while ago.

--------------------

-Erik Davis

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: Butta] * 1
    #7089260 - 06/24/07 11:22 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Butta said:
You know what? Yeah I feel guilty about animals being slaughtered for my benefit.

Why? Thanks to farming, cattle and pigs are some of the most widespread animals. Fuck em.

--------------------

Male

Re: Militaristic vegans. How annoying. [Re: HELLA_TIGHT] * 1
    #7089261 - 06/24/07 11:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

All those fucking cows are farting holes into my goddamn atmosphere. Burger me, baby!

--------------------

-Erik Davis

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7089264 - 06/24/07 11:24 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Lovely. Is that from Democracy in America? I read that a long while ago.

Yes it is. I just realized last week that I never took a political theories class, so I'll using my time now to try to self-teach myself the pillars.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #7089268 - 06/24/07 11:24 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

:onfire:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom