Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineelpinoman
Stranger

don't understand bulk substrates
    #7079250 - 06/22/07 10:48 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I want to grow using 12qt plastic containers. I have several colonized WBS jars. I am ordering pasteurized hpoo/straw from a shroomery vendor. Am I supposed to throughly mix 1part WBS to 4parts bulk sub, throw it in the 12qt container, put foil on top with holes poked and wait until mycelium pokes through then throw in the FC? Is it that all there is to it? or am I way the heck off track lol. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: elpinoman]
    #7079308 - 06/22/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

You are getting your teks confused.

The 12 qt container/foil/holes thing is a casing method.

As far as bulk subs, you put the colonized WBS jar in the bulk bag under sterile conditions, and then let it colonize the bag.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #7079311 - 06/22/07 11:05 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Offlineelpinoman
Stranger

#7079341 - 06/22/07 11:12 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I've read every single one of those. They all want me to use autoclave bags, and grow in huge containers much larger than 12quart. I have a martha closet, I don't want huge containers.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7079354 - 06/22/07 11:15 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

If you don't want huge containers, then add your colonized WBS to the bulk bags you ordered, and let them colonize. Then, once it's done colonizing those, case it in whatever sized trays you Do want. You can do whatever size and however many you want that way.

Offlineelpinoman
Stranger

#7079373 - 06/22/07 11:20 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
If you don't want huge containers, then add your colonized WBS to the bulk bags you ordered, and let them colonize. Then, once it's done colonizing those, case it in whatever sized trays you Do want. You can do whatever size and however many you want that way.

Thank you very much. Could I throughly mix the WBS in the bags, then place the mixture in the containers to colonize, and never add a casing layer? If not, O well I'm just trying to harvest as fast as possible. Once again thank you very much for the help.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7079379 - 06/22/07 11:23 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

No no, you want to add the WBS to the bulk bag, and seal it. Let them colonize in the bag, and be sterile, or else you are going to be REALLY pissed.

If you don't want to case at that point, then read up on invitro grows while you are waiting for the bags to colonize.

And yes, once you have added the WBS to the bulk bag and sealed it back up, you're gonna wanna shake/mix it up so the colonized WBS spreads out in the bag.

Offlinebootsyyy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#7079405 - 06/22/07 11:30 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

a casing layer is a good thing to look into. I spawned to COIR for my last grow, and the grow im in now. After the coir was fully colonized in the trays I added a 50/50 casing layer to it and let it incubate for another 3-4 days, then throw it in the FC. The casing layer will delay you about 3 days but in the end its well worth it.

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #7079601 - 06/22/07 12:34 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

elpinoman said:
I want to grow using 12qt plastic containers. I have several colonized WBS jars. I am ordering pasteurized hpoo/straw from a shroomery vendor. Am I supposed to throughly mix 1part WBS to 4parts bulk sub, throw it in the 12qt container, put foil on top with holes poked and wait until mycelium pokes through then throw in the FC? Is it that all there is to it? or am I way the heck off track lol. Thanks

Forget bags. I don't know where that step came from, but you don't need them.

All you have to do is mix the WBS and pasteurized substrate in a container and then put it in your 12qt boxes to colonize. This is where you will cover them with foil.

When the sub is completely white, just like your colonized jars, you will apply a casing layer and replace the foil until the mycelium starts to poke through. Then you stick in your FC and wait.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: Terillius]
    #7079627 - 06/22/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The thing is he already paid the money and had pre-pasteurized sub bags mailed out, so that's why I kept it in the process.

Offlineelpinoman
Stranger

#7079632 - 06/22/07 12:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Terillius THANK YOU SO DAMN MUCH lol. that is exactly what I wanted to do. I don't mind adding the casing layer, I just dont like those damn bags lol.

Offlineelpinoman
Stranger

#7079647 - 06/22/07 12:45 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
The thing is he already paid the money and had pre-pasteurized sub bags mailed out, so that's why I kept it in the process.

I do understand that I paid for these bags, but I've never used a grow bag. I'm used to letting things grow in containers.

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #7079667 - 06/22/07 12:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Do what works best for you and keep the bags in a dry cool place thats relatively clean. Then when you feel your skill level has reached the point that you can move on to bulk sub. bags go for it. Like people say don't fix it if it isn't broke, but at the same time don't be afraid to take it to another level, bulk sub. bags are going to increase your yields, probably exponentially.

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

#7079700 - 06/22/07 12:55 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

elpinoman said:
Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:

I do understand that I paid for these bags, but I've never used a grow bag. I'm used to letting things grow in containers.

The bags are intended to have spore/mycelium solution squirted in them. In your case, they simply retain the effects of pasteurization so you don't have to do it yourself. You paid extra to spend less time on the project. That is just an option you have.

OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

#7081275 - 06/22/07 08:02 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The bags are intended to have spore/mycelium solution squirted in them.

If that's true, whoever designed them is in for unpleasant surprises.

Think it's just air exchange. Pasteurized != sterlized = dead spores.

Offlinenugjug
Wanderer

#7081503 - 06/22/07 09:10 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The bags are not a good idea to grow in. You only really want to grow in the bag if you are using it to create super spawn or are planning on fruiting them in the bag. This would only work if the bag has a gas exchange filter on it. Even then you would want to use grain spawn to start this bag as spores would stand no chance and liquid culture would most likely be hit or miss with the majority being misses.

The reason for wanting to colonize the grain in the fruiting pan is that is the shape you want it to have in the end anyway. If you colonize in the bag and then add it to the trays you will spend precious time waiting on the mycelium to reknit into a solid mass.

So add the grain spawn to the amount of poo you want to use per tray (don't go deeper than 4 inches) at a 20% spawn to substrate ratio. Cover with aluminum foil and poke holes in the lid and then cover them with micropore tape. Allow to incubate at room temperatures in a dark place. When fully colonized add a casing layer and wait for it to colonize and then fruit. Or alternatively skip the casing layer and throw it in the FC. As Rogerrabbit suggests crumple a piece of wax paper and place it on top of the tray once in the FC. This will help keep moisture trapped near the essentially large cake.

If you have any remaining poo left just seal the bag up and leave it in a cool dark place and use it as soon as possible.

Edited by nugjug (06/22/07 09:15 PM)

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7081509 - 06/22/07 09:11 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I was talking about the bags with the injector port, but you're right.  Incidentally, != is symbology non-programmers won't understand. :smile:

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery

Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: nugjug]
    #7081516 - 06/22/07 09:13 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nugjug said:As Rogerrabbit suggests crumple a piece of wax paper and place it on top of the tray once in the FC. This will help keep moisture trapped near the essentially large cake.

Now we have heard by proxy what he has to say... What can you add?

Edited by Terillius (06/22/07 09:15 PM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7082564 - 06/23/07 03:35 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
If you don't want huge containers, then add your colonized WBS to the bulk bags you ordered, and let them colonize.  Then, once it's done colonizing those, case it in whatever sized trays you Do want.  You can do whatever size and however many you want that way.

:yesnod::thumbup:

Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: don't understand bulk substrates [Re: nugjug]
    #7083017 - 06/23/07 09:36 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nugjug said:
The reason for wanting to colonize the grain in the fruiting pan is that is the shape you want it to have in the end anyway. If you colonize in the bag and then add it to the trays you will spend precious time waiting on the mycelium to reknit into a solid mass.

So add the grain spawn to the amount of poo you want to use per tray (don't go deeper than 4 inches) at a 20% spawn to substrate ratio. Cover with aluminum foil and poke holes in the lid and then cover them with micropore tape. Allow to incubate at room temperatures in a dark place. When fully colonized add a casing layer and wait for it to colonize and then fruit. Or alternatively skip the casing layer and throw it in the FC. As Rogerrabbit suggests crumple a piece of wax paper and place it on top of the tray once in the FC. This will help keep moisture trapped near the essentially large cake.

If you have any remaining poo left just seal the bag up and leave it in a cool dark place and use it as soon as possible.

personally,i use cling-film rather than foil to cover the trays.
you can see when they are fully colonized without lifting the foil and introducing fresh air to a tray that may not be ready.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules