Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: NewYork
quick question on inoculation
    #7070526 - 06/20/07 04:01 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

after inoculating your jars, are you supposed to recover the syringe holes on the lid with tape or foil? I always left the inoculation holes on the lid exposed, and my grows have usually been fine for the most part. Can someone let me know which is better and why? Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: quick question on inoculation [Re: euphoricpoison]
    #7070564 - 06/20/07 04:09 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

No, you should leave them open without tape and put some protective layer on top if you would like. Foil stops mold spores from getting to your holes but if you ever remove it you do risk contamination.

The reason you dont cover your holes is becaus the mycellium needs gas exchange:thumbup:

OfflineLVL12
Author andPerfector ofFailure
 User Gallery

Re: quick question on inoculation [Re: euphoricpoison]
    #7070565 - 06/20/07 04:10 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I don't cover, i think micropore tape is probably better than foil if you have to leave something on, My Incubator is cleaned very frequently and sealed so I'm not too worried about airborns,

From what i gather if you have the vermiculite layer you're fine... as far as the BRF goes

For Grains, I use polyfill or micropore tape. There are two jars i didnt cover the holes with, one i had to chuck the other is beginning to look questionable, but it could be a coincidence, and i'm still very much just learning Rye and WBS

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

OfflineRadelBaluvar
PharaohApprentice
 User Gallery

Loc: Switzerland
Re: quick question on inoculation [Re: LVL12]
    #7070582 - 06/20/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

One explains in this video why one should not use tape, and you can see some other more or less new things about how to inoculate the jars.

Good grow

--------------------

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ShroomCity
http://audiostreet.net/radelbaluvar
Shrooms Rock and so does Pinky.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: quick question on inoculation [Re: RadelBaluvar]
    #7070597 - 06/20/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

if you are doing pf tek then yes they should be open since you have a dry verm layer to protect it from contams (no foil either) if you are using wbs jars then polyfill is fine

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlineeuphoricpoison
Expand your Mind
Male User Gallery

Loc: NewYork
    #7070620 - 06/20/07 04:26 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys, yeah I keep my incubator clean as well and that's probably why I never had bad problems with contams. I read about taping them up today, and figured it was because of contam, I had never read about covering the holes before and wanted to make sure it didn't do anything significant. In the thing I read today, it said that that it only needs to use the air in the jar.

Thanks for the quick response plus 5 for everyone who responded.

If curious, here is the link which sparked my question.

http://www.fanaticus.com/inocubat.htm

Scroll down to "Incubation of Inoculated Jars" first paragraph.

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

Re: quick question on inoculation [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #7070622 - 06/20/07 04:26 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

The videos are nice but seeing them in every post is a little overkill

--------------------
Disclaimer: Posts from LVL12 are strictly for entertainment and are a work of fiction, nothing written or said by LVL12 should in interpreted as truth, fact or by their literal definitions or translations. Anyone who reads/listens to these words does so at their own risk, parental discretion is advised.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7070629 - 06/20/07 04:29 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LVL12 said:

i didnt post the vid??? lol

tape makes the jar not have gas exchange which will hinder growth and make the jar go very very slow you need gas exchange why do you think the pro's use polyfill for there wbs jars ? thats constant gas exchange...if you get contams you need to look at sterile procedures or syringe.

--------------------

OfflineRadelBaluvar
PharaohApprentice
 User Gallery

#7070645 - 06/20/07 04:34 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Polyfill is out - aluminium foil is a perfect guard - also in the case when one uses wbs. A fast and efficient work-flow is the secret; and no fumbling around with tape, filters, Polyfill, Tyvek, etc. etc... is really needed.

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7070678 - 06/20/07 04:42 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

xaxphaanes said:
Quote:

LVL12 said:

i didnt post the vid??? lol

tape makes the jar not have gas exchange which will hinder growth and make the jar go very very slow you need gas exchange why do you think the pro's use polyfill for there wbs jars ? thats constant gas exchange...if you get contams you need to look at sterile procedures or syringe.

I wasn't talking about you posting a vid...

I do have a question for you though, I was under the assumption that the micropore tape allowed gas exchange, is this not true? I've got tons of polyfill but really never been a big fan of applying it to the jars.

*lol that sounds like i'm massaging the jars with polyfill, I guess what i meant to say was covering the holes*

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7070692 - 06/20/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

lol hahahaha that is the most ridiculous thing i have heard sorry but it really is..........polyfill is what mycologist's have been using for years with success since it isnt nutritious at all (so no contams)and allows very very good gas exchange which is very important in mycelium growth.aluminum foil is bad because it doesn't breath to allow gas exchange which will hinder growth and also supports growth for mold since there isn't anything but stale air,since there isn't any gas exchange.there isn't a secret to using wbs jars or pf tek jars one just has to be sterile while inoculating,use proper sterilization,and get proper moisture content,and allow sufficient gas exchange.

--------------------

OfflineLVL12
 User Gallery

#7070716 - 06/20/07 04:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RadelBaluvar said:
Polyfill is out - aluminium foil is a perfect guard - also in the case when one uses wbs. A fast and efficient work-flow is the secret; and no fumbling around with tape, filters, Polyfill, Tyvek, etc. etc... is really needed.

:whack:

--------------------

OfflineRadelBaluvar
PharaohApprentice
 User Gallery

#7071040 - 06/20/07 06:13 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

In order to plug Polyfill into a hole, the hole must be relative big. Right? If one perforates the lid only with a small nail though, the hole is just big enough for the needle. It is absolute illogical to make propaganda for wide openings in the cap.

But: Said between us: Of course, I store also a very big bag of that Polyfill in my basement. Ha..ha..ha.. I have too pairs of bright yellow rubber gloves.

I could give myself a daily slap in the face, that I was also so stupid, to spend money on Polyfill. As my father used to say: Every day another fool wakes up....

I remember well the time, when I bought my magic-mushroom-grow equipment: Rubber gloves, breathing-protection-masks, sterilization-lotion, alcohol, a hairnet, a sterile soap, a long white doctor's coat, and so on...

I cleaned thoroughly every room in the house... When I went shopping, the check-out girl asked me, if I where a surgeon, because I smelled like a sterile Doctor who just had left the hospital. Yes Sir.. those are tempi passati...

PS. When I do rye-grains, then I punch only a single hole in the center of the lid.

Old school - with sticky tape

--------------------

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#7089644 - 06/25/07 03:15 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

lol a bigger hole with polyfill allows for gas exchange in your method basically no gas exchange is allowed which could have a slower growth rate,in mushy cultivation you dont have to be a clean freak god knows i am not i simply follow sterile procedures i.e pc'ing,using a glovebox etc but by no means go to the lengths that you are suggesting

--------------------

OfflineRadelBaluvar
PharaohApprentice
 User Gallery

#7089730 - 06/25/07 04:04 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

@ xaxphaanes

I don't mind if you do it your way. But why complicate things, when shroom growing is actually as easy as making a cup of tea... smile me.
One can even save money because you don't need a glovebox, rubber gloves, etc.

Rather spend the money on electricity, and steam your jars and also the six or eight syringes in your AA-PC for 90Min. With this, the success is almost guaranteed. Don't be afraid to grow the easy way. Don't worry too much about gas-exchange. Usually 10 days and the cakes are ready for touchdown.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom