Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
The 60s... did it work at all?
    #705744 - 06/27/02 01:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so Wallstreet isn't exactly covered in day-glo peace signs....

But, I think the 60s DID have a lasting effect on American culture (and the rest of the world). Yeah.. the New Beetle is corporate bs, but it shows that the corporations are ACKNOWLEDGING the flower generation... I think that says something. Also, did you know that among college students at the time, only ~15% of the student population was anti-Vietnam? That means that the others (~85%) supported the war and were eventually BEAT by the minority!

This is a huge topic... a can of worms... so I'll just start it and see where it goes...
I basically just want your views on this.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: The 60s... did it work at all? [Re: Sclorch]
    #705816 - 06/27/02 02:23 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Drugs almost became a part of mainstream America as a result of "the sixties" I think. They are definitely an issue now. But the counterculture was pretty much swallowed by the mainstream --and the mainstream changed a lot! The "spirit" of the sixties --dropping out, revolution, and such-- pretty much died out I think. Many of us would like to see that spirit return. It's not easy dropping out. I love this country. It ain't right though. We should all listen to more Woody Guthrie tunes. He was right on all the social issues long before the sixties. This would be a good question for Bob Dylan. He'd probably answer it in just a few sentences though.

Also, many of the ideas and values put forth by the 60's kind of run against the grain of American life. I think America is mostly about freedom, making a profit, and "progress". The sixties were about "love and peace" and some other elemental issues which can not really change society --unless the change is total, from top to bottom. The 60's did change the way we THINK about social issues --and not just in America (excuse me for being solipsistic) --and that is an important first step.
peace

Edited by frogsheath (06/27/02 11:40 PM)

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: The 60s... did it work at all? [Re: frogsheath]
    #705853 - 06/27/02 02:52 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well......I do feel that the counterculture of the mid-late sixties was the last attempt at a revolution. Today we have more of an underground counterculture that is much larger than that of the sixties, we are just not as outspoken......maybe that will change soon. To answer the question "did it work at all?".........i feel it did. It was a time of awareness to what was going on, what if the "60's" never would have happened like it did.......our society today would be worse......the 60's did work and for the better!
Peace, Trev

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

Edited by ChubbSubb (06/27/02 02:53 PM)

Anonymous

#706555 - 06/27/02 07:42 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know if the 60's had an effect on a lot of ppl here in NYC, but a lot of the artists in my age group 25-35 seem to be trying to re-capture the 60's Spirit.
I was involved in those 'paperings' of downtown SoHo, to get our 'Art' seen, because no one gets art in galleries, except if your rich.

I knew a group of people who "Squatted' , and I dont mean in a cardboard box. They bought a building in a public auction, rewired it, set up solar panels, a generator, running water, the whole 9 yards, and lived in it with about 50 other people. They were like Hostels, and other Artist/Muscians from all over the world would come by, while traveling in America. These Squats are all over Europe..its a good idea, but you have to be invited/ referred to one, you cant just walk in of the street.
I used to do design work for Bands that were local, just for tickets. A lot of these Bands could not afford a Designer, and my hour's worth of work, gave them a shot at some exposure.
I wish thre was a more of a 'Community' feeling here. Too many folks are becoming more isolated in the wake of 9/11 - I thought the attack would galvinaze NY'ers, but it made them MORe paranoid, if that was possible. And withthe waves of Foreigners, flooding neighborhoods, no one knows anyone anymore. It is very discouraging.
I wonder what They will say of the '02's?
-OoD

Edited by OracleOfDelphi (06/27/02 07:47 PM)

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: The 60s... did it work at all? [Re: Anonymous]
    #706561 - 06/27/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

they gos almost the same thing here, but the hostels are in the backyards of rich people who own residential, but farmlable land, is just for artists though.

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
    #706781 - 06/27/02 09:34 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Like everything in life, I think it did and it didn't.

One thing I talk about a lot is how the "people of the 60's" were going on about questioning authority, many people feel they failed to make middle America do this. Many people think the election of Richard Nixon ended the 60's way of thinking. However, Nixon was torn down by people who questioned authority and since then we have always been weary of it. So, I think that aspect worked TO A DEGREE.

However, if I had to pick one theme that I think it was all about would be trying to move away from material happiness...such as happiness means a good car. I look at the world today and I still don't think the average guy realises just how much happiness does come from within. So I think in that respect, they failed...but that's just my judgement.

However, people won't forget about the 60's and we still are talking about it, aren't we?

Whether it worked out or not I would have loved to be there . If I had to chose between the 50's, 60's, 70's, (the, in my opinion aweful) 80's, or the 90's I would most definitely have chose the 60's...but I am just feeling fortunate to be born anywhere.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

Offlinepsilyhunter
Big Nerd
Loc: Wherever I am
    #706816 - 06/27/02 09:53 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The 60's was the first critical exploration of our specieswide forray into the next inevitable wave of our cognitive evolution. It was a first signpost. I would agree that what was once counter-culture is now culture. It revealed the existence of The Other (or at least revealed HINTS and SHADOWS of The Other) to every generation that has thus followed. It also introduced the concept of a reasonable challenge to the American Orthodoxy which immediately and metaphorically hung every heretic "it" could reasonably trump-up charges against without rallying the opposition of the uneducated public.

Knowledge and education, to Nixon & Hoover, tend to make people unpatriotic.
It would be easier on Big-brother if we would just be sheep.

Gotta go.

--------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chart your own course... but only from here to there.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #706970 - 06/28/02 01:26 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

We are still feeling the effects of the 60's, the environmental movement was born back then so were the Internet, and PC's.
It was a grate time of new thinking, but thoughts need some time to materialize.

--------------------

OfflineChubbSubb
Zen Lunatic

Loc: Here.
Re: The 60s... did it work at all? [Re: LOBO]
    #707664 - 06/28/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I wish it still was the 60's!

--------------------
Those who know do not speak.
Those who speak do not know.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#707950 - 06/28/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Did the 60's work at all? Well, a bunch of hippies got really high, and everyone who wasn't there wishes they were, so yes, they worked. Did they accomplish anything meaningful? Probably not, though it depends on what your definition of meaningful is. Did they cause any serious harm? Well, there seems to be a fair amount of fallout directly caused by their wild excesses, but who can really tell what the effects are.

Welcome to generation Fuck It All.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: The 60s... did it work at all? [Re: Ulysees]
    #708681 - 06/28/02 05:24 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well, a bunch of hippies got really high, and everyone who wasn't there wishes they were.

Some of us that were there, wish we were there. (Its a Zen riddle folks - Schlorch will probably be the only one to "get it".)

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#709157 - 06/28/02 07:26 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The sixties was a horrible failure. While Timothy Leary and other well respected figures were busy trying to bring psychedelics and "mind expansion" to the forefront of society, others were simply "dropping out" without "tuning in" or "turning on". The escapism of the sixties overshadowed the immense spiritual progress that was made in art, music, science, and other areas. This was its downfall.

--------------------
:egyptian:

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #712847 - 06/30/02 09:10 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe it was just a 'preview'

--------------------
its all placebo

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #713191 - 06/30/02 12:07 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Sclorch, you said:
>>corporations are ACKNOWLEDGING the flower generation... I think that says something.>>
What does it say? Besides the fact that sixties ideals have been recouped and reduced to market fodder by corporations.
peace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom