Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblebudismoremything
Stranger

Teaching kids
    #7056090 - 06/17/07 08:50 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

So I teach little kids to swim aged from like 4-15. I really enjoy it actually, and I teach like once a week.

I like to teach my own way, which i will explain later on. But my coach (comp. swimming), who is also my boss, always tells me to do something that I dont think is a good idea. For example, I have this six year old kid who is terrified of swimming. He can technically swim frontcrawl by himself, but hes so scared that he nearly pees in the water everytime he tries to swim by himself. So Im in the water hold ing the kid as he swims and were in a community centre in the deep end. My coach is hawking at me from the side of the pool and hes like "Let go of the kid, let him swim by himself!" I, in my own experience of swimming lessons, have discovered that this is a method that works, but probably isn't as good as easing the kid into swimming by himself. Normally what I do, is I just hold them tightly at the beginning, a few lesson in, I'll only hold their hand when theyre taking a breath, and a few more lessons in, I'll help them a little bit on the way, and within 10 lessons they should be swimming by themselves in the deep end, not perfectly but sufficiently. There is 1 lesson a week so 10 weeks.

My problem is, that if I did what my coach told me and just let him go in the deep end, he probably wouldn't drown. He would survive and swim to the wall by himself, but not well, or not as well as if I had taken the 10 weeks. Now, the end product is the same, the kid can swim, great. But I think that its really important for the kid to LIKE swimming and not be forced into learning to swim by himself. By using 10 lessons to teach him, the kid will probably not only come back for lessons the next session, but he will probably like coming to lessons, because if you're a little kid, one or two bad experiences can make you totally biased towards anything, especially if the experience includes crying and swallowing lots of water. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that since the end product, disregarding feelings and whatnot, is always the same, so the way you get to the end product is the most important part.

Its like if you have an angsty kid, who only trusts one other kid, having his mom tell him that he shouldnt be so angsty, even if she was nice about it, wouldnt work as well as if this other kid went and talked to him. The messenger is more important than the solution to the problem because the right messenger IS the solution to the problem. I mean, you might as well spend the 10 lessons, making it so that this kid will not have to DESPISE swimming lessons and going swimming ever, and just taking those 10 lessons can make this kid like swimming for the rest of his life instead of burning a couple of horrible moments and experiences into his life.

If anyone out there has kids or has to teach kids or be around kids a lot, patience is key. If you can't keep your cool, kids can tell. They arent totally blind, they can distinguish someone who gets mad or impatient a lot as BAD and someone who is always nice and playful as GOOD. I know that as a kid, when I went to lessons, I hated it. My teachers were always impatient and mean, except for one of them, and at the beginning of each session, we wouldnt know which teacher would be teaching which class, and I would ALWAYS be like god i hope i get the nice teacher. Remember, place others in front of you. if youre having a particularly shitty day, dont go to work and take out your anger on your kids. in fact you should be nice to them and have the satisfaction at least that you had a good day at work and made a kids day just a little better.

This was long, but I just wnated to see what other people thought, and to see If the slow easing way is good, or my coach's forcing them to swim is good.

Tanx <3
BUUUUD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Teaching kids [Re: budismoremything]
    #7056111 - 06/17/07 08:56 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Do you teach them directly, and/or indirectly?

Stranger

Re: Teaching kids [Re: Gomp]
    #7056120 - 06/17/07 08:59 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i normally teach about 6 or 7 kids directly, but classes range from 3 kids to 10
we split the pool up into 5 lanes and i am in control of one whole lane
sometimes when the kids are better at swimming, i dont need to get into the water to help kids out.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

#7056764 - 06/17/07 12:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

think for yourself, question authority

i don't see why what your coach says matters that much personally unless it jives with you and you're like "ohhh yeah! good idea man!"

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

Stranger

Re: Teaching kids [Re: leery11]
    #7057150 - 06/17/07 02:10 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

its not that what he says matters, its just the pressure, this is in a relatively small pool, and the parents of the kids i teach watch from like 10 metres away chatting amongst themselves.
my coach wont drop the topic, ie "let go of the kid", until I actually do it, and the fact that I have to is a total bummer.

hes been nicer lately though, this issue was really big in the summer and right after christmas

Invisibleorsengrabagun
water
Female
Loc: ball deep in your mother
    #7057157 - 06/17/07 02:14 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

it depends on the kid, one kid will want to go head first into the poool and learn on his own, another will like to be coddled and taughtly on a gradient scale. Wats the word intuition? intuit what the kids need to accomplish this skill and show them how. relate to them, they are little jesuses

--------------------
recycle your head

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7057192 - 06/17/07 02:27 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Has been nicer because you listened to him or because he accepted your style? Because there's a huge difference between those two. I think you should acknowledge the fact that you're the only one to decide how you teach your students, because from what I understand you're their teacher, not your coach.
So what's the problem? Why don't you take attitude? Maybe you should redefine your relationship with your coach and let him know that each of you has his teaching technique and that he should respect your choices.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Teaching kids [Re: orsengrabagun]
    #7057204 - 06/17/07 02:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

relate to them, they are little jesuses

:what: :lol:

Yes, leaving that aside, I think that's the best teaching technique. The teacher must be aware of each kids' personality and act in conformity to that :smile:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Stranger

Re: Teaching kids [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #7057211 - 06/17/07 02:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i think hes just accepted my style of teaching because it seems to do the job. hes also this really stern buff, but short asian man with a bald head, im not intimidated by him or anything, hes been my coach since ive been 7, but he just doesnt understand a lot of things, not that he doesnt understand english, he just doesnt understand new culture and cant accept new things. like he does thins very traditionally by the old chinese way or wahtever, so seeing as hes the boss, he wants everyone teaching the way he wants, because they are repping his company.

hes really understanding though, so next time something like that happens ill talk to him about it. he also forgot to give me my paycheck for may, but good thing i subbed in for my friend last month i still have enough money for some quality bud.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Teaching kids [Re: Gomp]
    #7058072 - 06/17/07 05:56 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Learns/Teaches..

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#7058097 - 06/17/07 06:02 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I only taught one kid how to swim, my father's girlfriend at the time's grandson.  He was a funny little 5 year old , and would freak the fuck out even at the mere mention of the the deep end.  I taught him 3 lessons, the first I held him and just let him blab to me the whole time about each and every pokemon character imaginable.  The second time, I would let go for ascending second intervals and have him kick in the deep end alone until I held him again. Meanwhile, talking my ear off about the god damn pokemon.  He became comfortable with that after a few times, and was much more comfortable in the water.  So, the third lesson I brought 2 packs of Pokemon, and told him if he swum to the deep end and back to me in the shallow, I would give him the cards.  His grandma was amazed.  He was just swimming around the pool not giving a fuck by the time she came out.

So I guess bribery worked for me, but I'm sure that's not an option for you.  I find the gradual approach is better.  I am sure just throwing the kid to near drowning isn't a bad thing for him to learn survival, but won't that make him fear the water a bit?  Don't know child psychology enough and don't know what kind of mindset it takes to be a competitive swimmer. 

The little fucker ended up having every damn card in the packs I gave him, and never even thanked me.  You could tell he was scarily spoiled by his grandmother and parents.  He's probably 15 now.  Wonder what kind of teen he's become.  Hopefully he becomes an Olympic swimmer and I can have that story under my belt. :thumbup: I'll have to check up.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
Re: Teaching kids [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #7059350 - 06/17/07 10:28 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

All kids are different. I think it's great you can tell who needs what. Since you've known this coach so long explain your different teaching techniques. Confidence for some comes easy for others it's a struggle. Swimming should be fun, especially for kids!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale