Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Pre-ayahuasca diet help please?
    #7038775 - 06/12/07 05:05 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

So I've been tripping quite a bit lately and I've decided that it's time for a break. I plan to abstain from psychedelics for at least about a month and try ayahuasca for the second time at some point in July.

My first time I was pretty much just testing the water. For my second time I'd like to use a bit more plant material and I'd like to be pretty strict about my diet beforehand. Last time I was only particular about what I ate for a day before and after. This time I'd like to control my diet for the whole week prior.

I have a list of some foods that should be avoided in combination with MAOIs. Here it is:

Cultured dairy products (butter, milk, yogurt and sour cream)
Aged/mature cheese (exception: cottage cheese, cream cheese)
Dry and fermented sausage (bologna, salami, pepperoni, corned beef)
Pickled herring and salted dried fish
Meat and yeast extracts
Brewers yeast
Sauerkraut
Fruits (figs, bananas, pineapple, avocados, raisins, plums, raspberries)
Nuts
Broad beans and pods (lima, fava beans, lentils, snow peas, soy beans)
Soy sauce
Chocolate
Caffeine products

I suspect that this list is not all-inclusive so what I'd like is some suggestions on things I CAN eat. The more suggestions I get the better because I do enjoy food.

Also, I really want to be as devoted to this as possible but I might have a difficult time doing without my one cup of coffee in the morning. Would it be okay to continue having my one cup daily for the week prior as long as that's the extent of my caffeine intake? I can do without caffeine the day of but going a week or more without any coffee might be a little tough.

Thanks for the help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr.Al
Alphabet soup
Male

Loc: N.S.A. D.C.
Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: truffleupagus]
    #7038825 - 06/12/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I would stay the fuck away from meat before taking Ayahuasca (but I'm a vegetarian anyway). Your very best bet is to fast for 24 hours. Dosage: ballpark, 150-200 grams banisteriopsis caapi, 40 grams mimosa hostilis. As far as caffeine is concerned, I never have any problem with green tea while tripping on anything that leaves me in my body...

Have Fun,
Be Safe

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: Mr.Al]
    #7038892 - 06/12/07 05:39 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Damn! 150-200/40 grams sounds like a lot. I guess I know why the effects seemed threshold my first time - I only used 30 grams of caapi and 10 grams of mimosa hostilis. I was actually planning on using about 50 grams caapi and 40-50 grams of p. viridis this time but I guess I could go higher.

I've never done well with fasting personally. My stomach tends to get pissy when it's empty. In fact, the only times I've even gone so much as 24 hours without food it was because I had already ingested a chemical.

The green tea is a good idea. It would probably be better than coffee so I'll probably use that as a substitute.

Please keep the suggestions coming as far as things that you can eat. I've heard that soy is something you want to stay away from and that you should only eat bread without soy. This confuses me though. I looked through all the bread in my local grocery store one day and I think they all said something about soy. What bread doesn't have soy?

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
    #7039065 - 06/12/07 06:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

You know, Aya is on my list of things I want to do, and do very soon - but the entire list of food restrictions is pretty much my entire diet : Meat, Dairy and Fruit.

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with milk, with a fresh bannana and handful of berries on top
Lunch: Sandwich with meat and cheese
Supper: Generally something with meat

Wish I could offer some advice on what you /could/ eat, as I'd love to know also, as the list of what I cant is pretty much everything I like to eat daily :P

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: kaniz]
    #7039130 - 06/12/07 06:59 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Fasting is an option. I wouldnt recommend that for most people.

I read up alot about this before my first experiences with ayahuasca.

Bread is fine as long as it is soy/nut free bread.
Find every list of foods to avoid that you can find, and buy bread that doesnt include those foods.
Yeast that has been cooked is fine as far a s I have read, like that which is found in bread.

Sadly, I basically narrowed my 18 hour diet prior to my experiences down to soy/nut-free hotdog buns.

Worked like a charm. You can do this for only 12 hours before the experience and that will be fine. I just like to play it safe and not eat anything 6 hours before the experience.

You basically dont want to be eating any tyramine containing foods 18+ hours before ingestion(even though id be alot more safe about it than that if I were you). I play it safe and eat non-tyramine containing foods up to 7 hours before the drink.

Some breads are PERFECT. The yeast is something you should read up on if you dont trust me, and you should read up on it anyways.

There is no better way to fill up than bread.

I have eaten safe bread during the drinking process. I have even used these same hotdog buns when chewing syrian rue in large amounts with water. It prevents nausea and can actually make an instant purge into a no purge experience that last a whole lot longer.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: yageman]
    #7039369 - 06/12/07 08:03 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

With a short acting MAOI like strian rue, in my experience at least, trymine isn't much of an issue. Hell, I even ate ramen coming down on shrooms and syrian rue without issue, and im sure thats just a tryamine bomb.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: xFrockx]
    #7039407 - 06/12/07 08:13 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

xFrockx said:
With a short acting MAOI like strian rue, in my experience at least, trymine isn't much of an issue. Hell, I even ate ramen coming down on shrooms and syrian rue without issue, and im sure thats just a tryamine bomb.

That is a tyramine bomb, and you did it anyways.

What ever you are comfortable with while being well informed.

Caapi takes more plant material, doesnt hit as quick because of that, but it contains the same stuff and can last even longer than chewed rue.
Caapi is also a short acting maoi though.

Just play it safe with whatever you use.
The 8 hours before and the 8 hours after deal is pretty common.

I just take it to the extreem because it feels safest when considering the places this brew can take you.
To think you are dieing should not stem from a possible tyramine interaction. It should stem from the fact that you did it right, and your self is slipping away and you experience a non-lifethreatening form of ego-death, or even just an insanely intense experience.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
    #7039480 - 06/12/07 08:36 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I had looked up a lot of stuff on the cautions of taking an MAOI and stuff, finally i decided to eat the ramen because somsone else had said that short acting MAOI's they took had very little interaction with tryamine rich foods, specifically including ramen. And god did i want some ramen then, lol. I hate trip cravings.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

#7039668 - 06/12/07 09:32 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Ha! I knew yage would come thru on this one.

And I do value your input when it comes to this stuff, yage. You're obviously a lot more experienced with aya then I am at this point. I think I'll still make some modifications to my diet during the week prior like minimizing caffeine and what not. But if you say the main concern is just the day before and day after then I'll take your word for it.

Last time I only had a plain bagel with cream cheese and an apple within 18 hours of the drink and it worked out okay. Then after the purge I felt great and had no desire to eat for about a whole day anyway.

But I suppose if the general consensus is bread and water then so be it I guess.

My last time I spent the whole time indoors since I had no idea what to expect. I think this time, though, I might pitch a tent in my back yard and keep my Wisdom by my side to keep me grounded. It'll be nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors I think.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

#7039701 - 06/12/07 09:39 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

truffleupagus said:

But I suppose if the general consensus is bread and water then so be it I guess.

I made that shit up long ago.

Hell if I know that it is a general consensus.

And yes.....do lay off the caffein for many many good hours prior.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (06/12/07 09:41 PM)

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7039876 - 06/12/07 10:14 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

as ott said http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v06n3/06332ott.html or who ever does in this as long as you dont consume stupid amounts of stuff you can even take things on that list and be fine to i suggest for the sake of your body in general fasting. and eating plants more so then bread and water, eat plants and rice

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: thedudenj]
    #7039922 - 06/12/07 10:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

rice doesnt grow in the amazon.

Bread-like carbs do though.....lol
Lots of plants too.......

just playing.

Good info dude.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
Thanks shroomery.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

#7041572 - 06/13/07 11:11 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the input dude.

I don't have much time now but I'm definitely gonna read that page later on.

Invisibletruffleupagus
Male User Gallery

#7043689 - 06/13/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, so basically what I got out of that is that it's actually serotonin antagonism that potentiates DMT.  And MAOIs (specifically B-carbolines) enable the ayahuasca effect in a sort of indirect way, more by just "keeping it around".

Or did I totally misunderstand that stuff?

And also, I think it said that the one pharmaceutical MAOI was shown to increase serotonin.  But do all MAOIs have that effect?

:shrug:

In any case, that guy sounds daring to have eaten all that stuff afterwards (even if there is no solid proof of it doing any major harm).  I don't think I'm gonna be like him.

Offlinemoeburn
Blastimus Smashimus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #7043826 - 06/13/07 09:22 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
So I've been tripping quite a bit lately and I've decided that it's time for a break. I plan to abstain from psychedelics for at least about a month and try ayahuasca for the second time at some point in July.

Why not just take Ayahuasca now? Many people have said that Ayahuasca is THE hallucinogen that eliminates their interest in all other hallucinogens. Not to say it will make LSD less fun, just less interesting.

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
My first time I was pretty much just testing the water. For my second time I'd like to use a bit more plant material and I'd like to be pretty strict about my diet beforehand. Last time I was only particular about what I ate for a day before and after. This time I'd like to control my diet for the whole week prior.

Fun fact: The dangerous MAOI interactions last longer after the dream (minimum of 6 hours) than before (minimum of 1 hour). However, due to the effects of DMT, your senses are amplified, and you can "feel" what you ate a week ago more than you'd care about a headache the day after the effects wear off.

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
I have a list of some foods that should be avoided in combination with MAOIs. Here it is:

Cultured dairy products (butter, milk, yogurt and sour cream)
Aged/mature cheese (exception: cottage cheese, cream cheese)
Dry and fermented sausage (bologna, salami, pepperoni, corned beef)
Pickled herring and salted dried fish
Meat and yeast extracts
Brewers yeast
Sauerkraut
Fruits (figs, bananas, pineapple, avocados, raisins, plums, raspberries)
Nuts
Broad beans and pods (lima, fava beans, lentils, snow peas, soy beans)
Soy sauce
Chocolate
Caffeine products

I suspect that this list is not all-inclusive so what I'd like is some suggestions on things I CAN eat. The more suggestions I get the better because I do enjoy food.

Honestly, the MAOI interactions are very overplayed. I had a bad interaction with soy sauce before, but never any troubles with vegetables, fruit, meat, bread, or even junk food. Here is a good rule to follow: If it has an effect on the brain (chocolate, coffee) or if it isn't fresh, don't eat it. Amazonians tend to eat fish straight out of the water, fruits right off the tree, etc, so the bacteria in the foods don't have enough time to produce tyramine.

Quote:

truffleupagus said:
Also, I really want to be as devoted to this as possible but I might have a difficult time doing without my one cup of coffee in the morning. Would it be okay to continue having my one cup daily for the week prior as long as that's the extent of my caffeine intake? I can do without caffeine the day of but going a week or more without any coffee might be a little tough.

Thanks for the help!

It might be dangerous to try and skip coffee the day of, you risk an intense blood sugar drop that could lead to a very scary dream. You'd be better off quitting caffeine 2 weeks prior, or just not at all. MAOI's inhibit the breakdown of seratonin, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. Caffeine acts on adenosine. The trouble with caffeine is not because of the MAOI, but because of its effect on your blood sugar. Since you call yourself a daily drinker, I'd say you've built up a tolerance to it, so just stick with your daily cup. If your blood sugar spikes, have some candy ready.

Chocolate, on the other hand, contains l-tryptophan, which is a precursor to seratonin. You do not want to be helping your brain create seratonin while preventing your brain from recycling it. That will lead to seratonin syndrome. Chocolate also contains the stimulant theobromine, which can lead to additional blood sugar issues. I once ate a bite of 70% chocolate an hour before dreaming, and I endured a painful bite of seratonin syndrome for the remainder of the night.

Good luck with your journey, and report back on what you felt!

--------------------
Everything I have posted on the shroomery.org forums is completely fictional and created out of my own mind.  Any similarity to any current or past event is purely coincidental.

...and of this humongous fungus among us, more of its core's spores are creeping out of the drawer, pouring over the floor, and soaring through the door. Do not ignore this lore, for the spores are their precious ore. - moeburn

"Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, while conscious of their fleeting time here." - Maynard Keenan

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: Pre-ayahuasca diet help please? [Re: moeburn]
    #7043880 - 06/13/07 09:37 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

yeah i find it funny that people are now calling it a dream. sounds like someone visits ayahuasca.com

--------------------

you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Offlinemoeburn
Blastimus Smashimus
Male User Gallery

#7043895 - 06/13/07 09:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

thedudenj said:
yeah i find it funny that people are now calling it a dream. sounds like someone visits ayahuasca.com

Registered and respected :smile:

--------------------
Everything I have posted on the shroomery.org forums is completely fictional and created out of my own mind.  Any similarity to any current or past event is purely coincidental.

...and of this humongous fungus among us, more of its core's spores are creeping out of the drawer, pouring over the floor, and soaring through the door. Do not ignore this lore, for the spores are their precious ore. - moeburn

"Repugnant is the creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, while conscious of their fleeting time here." - Maynard Keenan

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7043924 - 06/13/07 09:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

lol so much pride of that. i have an acount there too they have alot of neat threads but not alot of people use it

--------------------

Offlinemoeburn
Blastimus Smashimus
Male User Gallery

#7043962 - 06/13/07 09:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I should add, that strangely enough, cocoa is regularly consumed in the Amazon. There is actually an island off the coast of the Amazon where the water is so infested with bacteria, that they do not drink it until they boil it and mix it with cocoa. They drink nothing BUT cocoa-water. So it leaves me wondering how they manage to do that, and maintain a healthy regimen of ayahuasca.

One more fun fact: Ayahuasca might be good for your brain. If you do some googling, you will find that the brains of dead ayahuasca drinkers (we're talking weekly drinkers) were found to have a much higher seratonin receptor count than north americans. In summary, ayahuasca makes you a happier person, for life.

--------------------

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

#7044035 - 06/13/07 10:13 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

lol thats true but finding oneness in yourself and becoming your true self makes you an even happier person

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale