Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
$71,400 Speeding Ticket
    #7034740 - 06/11/07 06:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

January 2, 2001

By Steve Stecklow

HELSINKI, Finland -- Jaako Rytsola, a 27-year-old Finnish Internet entrepreneur and newspaper columnist, was cruising in his BMW one recent evening. "The road was wide and I was feeling good," he later wrote. "It's nice to be driving when there's no one in sight."

But this road wasn't empty; a radar-equipped police car was clocking his speed. The officer pulled over Mr. Rytsola's car and issued him a speeding ticket for driving 43 miles an hour in a 25-mile-an-hour zone. The fine: $71,400.

The staggering sum was no mistake. In Finland, traffic fines generally are based on two factors: the severity of the offense and the driver's income. The concept has been embedded in Finnish law for decades: When it comes to crime, the wealthy should suffer as much as the poor. Indeed, sliding-scale financial penalties are also imposed for offenses ranging from shoplifting to securities-law violations. "This is a Nordic tradition," says Erkki Wuoma, special planning adviser at the Ministry of Interior. "We have progressive taxation and progressive punishments. So the more you earn, the more you pay."

But the arrival of a new, high-tech police tool for calculating traffic fines is making some well-to-do Finns progressively furious.

For years, the size of traffic fines was largely dependent on the honor system. Police officers asked violators for their current monthly gross income, then consulted a book of tables to calculate the fine. The police complained that drivers routinely lied -- it was "the national sport," says traffic officer Risto Maksimainen -- and the only recourse was to go to court. Motorists complained, too, arguing that the fines should be based on take-home pay, which given Finland's hefty income-tax rates, is considerably less than gross income.

And so, in October 1999, the Finnish government made some major changes, including basing fines on net income. But the biggest change was this: Using cellular phones, the police can now tap into official tax records, which in Finland are open to the public, and learn within seconds a driver's reported income and the corresponding traffic fine.

A Courtroom Challenge

Keijo Kopra, managing director of Vierumaen Teollisuus Oy, a wood-products company, experienced this firsthand in November 1999. On his way home from work, Mr. Kopra was pulled over for driving 14 miles an hour over the speed limit. Using the new system, the officer wrote him a ticket for $14,500.

Enraged, the executive challenged the amount in court, and a judge lowered it to $9,000. But then the police mentioned that Mr. Kopra had received two previous speeding tickets in 1999 before the new system went into effect. Based on the income he had claimed at the time, each fine was $750. The judge, outraged, imposed additional fines of $38,000 Mr. Kopra remains apoplectic. "This is no constitutionally governed state, this is a land of rhinos!" he says. "This is legalized robbery by police. I'm surprised they're not authorized to shoot you, too. But of course if they shoot you, they cannot get any money out of you."

Rather than pay the fine, Mr. Kopra says he offered to go to jail. The judge refused -- and Mr. Kopra was forced to pay. Teemu Selanne, Finland's most celebrated hockey player and a member of the National Hockey League's Anaheim Mighty Ducks, apparently isn't thrilled with the system, either. In June, he was fined $39,000 for colliding with another car in Finland and injuring five people. Mr. Selanne declined to comment for this story, but a close friend says he was so upset by the fine that he threatened to leave his country for good. "He was really angry because he thought it was not fair," says Hjallis Harkimo, who owns several European sports teams.

Many Finns believe the system is fair. Patrolling the highways outside Helsinki in an unmarked Opel, Officer Maksimainen and his partner, Anssi Ukonaho, clock a red Volkswagen Golf driving 18 miles an hour over the speed limit. They stop the car, and the driver, Janne Rajala, a 26-year-old student, produces his driver's license. Officer Ukonaho whips out his Nokia phone and punches in some numbers, including Mr. Rajala's social-security number.

Within seconds, Mr. Rajala's 1999 tax records appear on the phone's tiny screen: his monthly gross income ($975) and his after-tax income ($724). The screen also flashes his fine: $82. Because this amount is below the minimum fine for driving this fast, the officers write a ticket for $106.

"I think it's okay," Mr. Rajala says, adding he would see nothing wrong with paying more if he earned more. "Why not? When you have so much money, it doesn't matter."

Many politicians here apparently agree. Leena Harkimo, a Conservative Party member of the Finnish Parliament and wife of the sports-team owner, tried to introduce a bill last year that would have capped most speeding tickets at a mere $7,825. But only 29 of the 200 members of parliament supported the legislation. "Some people think it's the only way to get the wealthy people to drive slowly or respect the law," she says. "If they're speeding often, let's make a system where they lose their driver's license easily." Traffic fines go to Finland's treasury to be used for general government purposes. Mr. Rytsola, who was issued the $71,400 speeding ticket in October and another $44,100 ticket in August for zigzagging in downtown Helsinki, says he supports income-based penalties, but with a cap on traffic fines. Under the present system, he says, "if you earn enough you shouldn't even touch a car," noting that accidentally driving too fast could cost the richest Finns hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Government officials concede the new system is more about equity than safety. While the average fine has doubled in the past year to about $219, the number of speeding tickets issued is about the same, and there has been no drop in the number of traffic fatalities. "It's a big problem," says Anna Lisa Tarvainen, a senior officer in the Ministry of Transport. Traffic fines are paid to the Ministry of Justice.

Heikki Summala, a professor of traffic psychology at the University of Helsinki, blames the healthy Finnish economy. "Always when the economy is strong, people drive somewhat faster and have somewhat more accidents," he says. "Some people are simply more in a hurry ... and time is money."

Dr. Summala notes that what makes Finland's new fine system possible is the country's extensive computerized databases and advanced cellular-phone technology. Finland, after all, is home to Nokia Corp., the world's largest

cellular-phone-handset maker, and seven out of every 10 Finns use cell phones. However, given the complexity of the new law, it's hard to imagine that anything short of a supercomputer could calculate a Finnish speeding ticket.

Using an overhead projector back at the Interior Ministry, Mr. Wuoma attempts to explain the math. He takes out a piece of paper covered with long equations, which seem more appropriate for a college class in nuclear physics.

The equations start with a motorist's net monthly income. The figure comes into play whenever a driver is caught going at least 12 miles an hour over the posted limit (below that, the fine is a fixed amount, ranging from $63 to $110). To begin, the driver's monthly net income is reduced by 1,500 Finnish marks ($235) and that total is divided by 60. This figure is supposed to represent a person's daily disposable income. Then, for every dependent, such as a child or nonworking spouse, 15 marks is subtracted. But as many as 20 marks may be added depending on the value of the driver's other assets, including real estate.

The final figure, called a day fine, is then multiplied by a number ranging between one and 120, representing the severity of the violation as determined by the traffic officer. For example, a person driving 20 miles an hour over the limit on a highway in good weather might be assessed 12 day fines.

It all seems to make sense to the traffic officers looking on. "It's so simple," says Mr. Ukonaho.

stayfreemagazine.org

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: Diploid]
    #7034833 - 06/11/07 07:16 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Does that mean Paris would be doing life without parole?

--------------------

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
    #7034834 - 06/11/07 07:16 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Progressive speeding tickets does not seem like that bad of an idea, but there needs to be a (reasonable)cut off at some point.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: robbyberto]
    #7035214 - 06/11/07 08:42 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Speeding tickets should be based upon a percentage of your income, most certainly. It isn't justice when a rich guy recklessly speeds and has to pay a fine that is proportional to putting a dollar in a vending machine. :what:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #7035257 - 06/11/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

How much is Finnish money in U.S. dollars?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #7035696 - 06/11/07 10:17 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like a good idea to me :thumbup:

I think all traffic laws should be more rigorously enforced.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: DieCommie]
    #7035742 - 06/11/07 10:24 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I actually think that speed limits are usually pretty unreasonable. One's speed should be based solely on the conditions of the road and one's ability to navigate those conditions.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7035890 - 06/11/07 10:55 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

One's perception of their own abilities is often inflated, especially when it concerns driving. Not only that, but it is impossible to factor for circumstances outside the driver's abilities. How is one supposed to stop for little Johnny getting his ball that rolled in the street when a driver is tearing through a residential community at 65 mph?

I agree with you that on freeways and rural interstates speed limits are somewhat unnecessary, but in urban and residential areas they are absolutely necessary.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: Redstorm]
    #7035910 - 06/11/07 10:59 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

What precisely do you think "the conditions of the road" means? :what:

Some people are capable of trusting their own abilities solidly upon the foundation of their experience. If you can't trust yourself then why live life?

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7035919 - 06/11/07 11:01 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
...but in urban and residential areas they are absolutely necessary.

No, they aren't. Being aware of your surroundings and being capable of effectively driving in accordance with one's surroundings is absolutely necessary. Speed limits are arbitrary and false.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7035922 - 06/11/07 11:01 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

If you are to allow such arbitrary speeds, then there has to be extreme punishment for hitting pedestrians or other vehicles. And by extreme, I don't just mean manslaughter for killing a pedestrian; more reasonable would be a murder charge. That is the only way drivers would be deterred from driving like maniacs through urban areas.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7035949 - 06/11/07 11:06 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Drivers don't need to be deterred by fear of punishment. Drivers need to be reasonable and responsible on their own. Speed limits are only justified as they give police officers the ability to reprimand those who are unreasonably speeding. If I am driving 45 on a two lane highway in an urban highway at 10 pm, with traffic, but I am driving in an entirely safe manner, responsive to the environment and exercising effective ability in navigating my vehicle, then a speeding ticket would be unjust. Spirit of the law, not letter of the law.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7035992 - 06/11/07 11:15 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

How is a driver punished when they are driving at a speed well beyond their abilities? They can't merely be pulled over and issued a ticket or thrown in jail because there would be no speed limit and they could just tell the officer they were driving at a speed which they believed was acceptable?

Edit: While I agree with your example, I believe police officers using more prudence when enforcing speed limits or flexible speed limits for times of the day would be more adequate.

Edited by Redstorm (06/11/07 11:16 PM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7036010 - 06/11/07 11:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Spirit of the law, not letter of the law. Don't ask questions that I have already answered. Speed limits are unreasonable in that they are a response to unreasonable individuals. They are a necessity in that they give the police officer the ability to discern for themselves the nature of the driving and to decide to act if necessary. Some cops enforce the letter of the law, and this is bullshit. I shouldn't have to fear a ticket because I am driving faster than the sign says I should. :rolleyes:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7036019 - 06/11/07 11:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yes there we go. :wink: I wasn't saying "NO speed limits", just that they are usually unreasonable to give the police officers more lee-way in prosecuting unreasonable drivers. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #7036022 - 06/11/07 11:21 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Edit: Misunderstanding. :wink:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7036701 - 06/12/07 04:37 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> Does that mean Paris would be doing life without parole?

No, but it means she would be sitting in a regular cell rather than in the hospital ward with Doctors and Nurses going out of their way to take care of her feeble little mind. I wonder how much Xanax she has been given...

> In Finland, traffic fines generally are based on two factors: the severity of the offense and the driver's income.

I agree with this logic, actually. Back during the internet boom when I was making so much money that I didn't know what to do with it all. As a result, I didn't care a bit about fines. When you take home $4000 a week (after taxes), a $500 fine is nothing at all... but a $75000 fine is something to make you think twice.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #7036792 - 06/12/07 05:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
How much is Finnish money in U.S. dollars?

They use the Euro currency

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: Seuss]
    #7038400 - 06/12/07 03:12 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Does that mean Paris would be doing life without parole?

No, but it means she would be sitting in a regular cell rather than in the hospital ward with Doctors and Nurses going out of their way to take care of her feeble little mind. I wonder how much Xanax she has been given...

I think she is now.
Quote:

> In Finland, traffic fines generally are based on two factors: the severity of the offense and the driver's income.

I agree with this logic, actually. Back during the internet boom when I was making so much money that I didn't know what to do with it all. As a result, I didn't care a bit about fines. When you take home $4000 a week (after taxes), a $500 fine is nothing at all... but a $75000 fine is something to make you think twice.

Well, in that vein, maybe there should be roads that are somewhat better paved with higher speed limits that only those who pay can access. I bet Jon Corzine wishes he could have had that option. And maybe we can charge sliding scale for food too. And all kinds of everyday shit even on top of the already disproportionate taxation. Feh, I don't give a fuck what the Finns do. Justice should be blind, at least in the abstract. Hence the notion that "All Men Are Created Equal." When they clearly are not.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: $71,400 Speeding Ticket [Re: zappaisgod]
    #7038780 - 06/12/07 05:06 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> Justice should be blind, at least in the abstract

My actual position (not stated in this post, but in others) is that there should not be monetary fines (other than restitution), and that all offenses should result in jail time. (With overcrowding, obviously impractical.) It doesn't matter if you make minimum wage, or a million a year... a day in jail is a day in jail. However, I think that normalizing fines based upon income isn't a bad way to go. Blind justice should have an equal impact, when found guilty, regardless of income. I doubt that you would argue that $20 is a lot more to a person that makes only a $100 per week compared to somebody that makes $10,000 a week.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order